Cool new 2009 Energizer 1AA Trailfinder Micro

Barrie

Enlightened
hi to you all
i have played with this wee light for a couple of hours and my initial concerns are gone batt holder is not to bad to open after a bit of practice and it is possible to change batt with the light on your head
Velcro is holding OK and light is not so uncomfortable as i first thought it was going to be
i have had it running on full power for around 2hours i have used a energizer 2450 rechargeable
batt holder is cool to touch and the light is only slightly warm
i will leave it running and see how long the batt lasts
cheers Barrie

Last edited:

hiredgun

Newly Enlightened
I just saw this at my Costco too with a single 1AA light. Includes two Energizers L91s with it. $29.99. Almost pulled the trigger, but with a Zebralight on the way I didn't. Plus I'm not the one you want doing the initial reviews anyway.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi to you all
i have played with this wee light for a couple of hours and my initial concerns are gone batt holder is not to bad to open after a bit of practice and it is possible to change batt with the light on your head
Velcro is holding OK and light is not so uncomfortable as i first thought it was going to be
i have had it running on full power for around 2hours i have used a energizer 2450 rechargeable
batt holder is cool to touch and the light is only slightly warm
i will leave it running and see how long the batt lasts
cheers Barrie

is it water resistant in any way? any way to access the led ie modable?

kevinm

Enlightened
I saw this headlight packaged with a single AA cell flashlight and 2 L91 lithium batteries at Costco over the weekend. I am pretty sure price was $30 (maybe it was $35) for both of them.

The flashlight was a variable power model, looked like a continously variable or at least many steps. 16 hours at low, 65 lumens on high. Headlight claimed 60 lumens.

I would have like to have bought it, but I have been trying to curb the habit lately, and I already bought some solar landscape lights there for another thread.

Someone have an item number?:thinking:

Thanks!

Barrie

Enlightened
hi
took the light to work tonight and have to say i am impressed
it will run for over 2 hours on full power with very little if any noticeable dimming
after 3hours i put in a fresh battery and the difference was noticeable but there was still plenty of light
out side i compared it with my ZL H30 fenix L0D AND LD10 the energizer is somewhere between the l0d and ld10 the it throws surprisingly well with a nice even light it is waterproof to ixp7
[energizer info spec sheet is on post 56]

i got my one at my local Argos store more [ info on the light here Buy Camping at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Sports and leisure ...] i dont think you can realy go wrong buying this little light
i realy like it :thumbsup:

Last edited:

hiredgun

Newly Enlightened
What area/department in Costco did you find the light?

Mind you, this was found in the Silverdale, WA Costco. It was on the end (cap) of aisle where the batteries and such are sold. I hope someone buys one soon and tells us how wonderful the set is.

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my Costco it was near the tools where the other flashlights always are, and near the maglite display. I told the wife I want it for my birthday this weekend, so odds are I will have my hands on it Sunday or Monday.

kevinm

Enlightened
Never mind on the item number; I picked one up today:twothumbs. The light is pretty nice and very small. I believe the 60 lumens, maybe more. It's dimmer than the Energizer K2 85 lumen lights, but not hugely so. On an Eneloop, it ran for 2.5 hours before dimming. I'm a little disappointed as the Zebralight runs for the same amount of time and at something like 90 lumens. The electronic dimming is nice (MANY levels), but it always starts on high. It looks waterproof ish (there's an o-ring on the battery compartment).

The other light is also okay. Waterproof, same circuitry as the headlamp, I think, and solidly built. The emitter is accessable. The handhelds are $36 at Target here.

Total for the two is $40 at CostCo. If the headlamp were $25 by itself, it'd certainly be worth it. Maybe I'll just sell the handheld...

Last edited:

kevinm

Enlightened
Yep. The PWM frequency is acceptable, but noticeable at the low end.:tinfoil:

The package claims that both are waterproof.

Ogg Vorbis

Newly Enlightened
Just picked one up from my local ARGOS too :twothumbs

and would you know, look what happened... :poof:

Photo0040.jpg

Well someone had to do it :devil:

But while i was in there i put this fella in: (it's a Q2 5A tint btw :party:)
Photo0042.jpg

and this is what i took out: (Q4 bin :party: pretty good if you ask me)

Photo0044.jpg

As you can see there's a nice bit of a heatsink in the middle along with some thermal paste, and has two screws holding the emittor down.

Photo0041.jpg

To get in i took the side panels off by undoing the 8 screws hidden behind the foam, by simply pushing the foam to the side with my nails

Photo0043.jpg

Another shot of the inside, showing the 'reflector' before the lens

Photo0038.jpg

Old LED in place:

Photo0036.jpg

I have to say, it feels very comfy on my head, i previously owned a tikka+ but decided to get one of these simply cause it looked pretty good and uses a single AA. The only thing i noticed is my forehead got a little sweaty underneath the back where the foam is.

Photo0034.jpg

Photo0035.jpg

Well i now own a nice warm tinted, variable output headlight that runs for over 2 hours from a single AA lovecpf

- Dan

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, it wasn't that you weren't clear.
I was just hoping that you got the highest bin 5A. (out with the blue, in with the good!)

I'd soooooo like this with a 5A.
Awesome, good job.

Ogg Vorbis

Newly Enlightened
No, it wasn't that you weren't clear.
I was just hoping that you got the highest bin 5A.

I'd soooooo like this with a 5A.
Awesome, good job.

Can we get XR-E Q4 5A yet? I know there are some XP-E Q4 though...

It just happened that i had this one laying around from when i took one of the KD P60 drop-ins apart... back before 5A were common place...

On another note, while i was in there too, before i connected the positive wire i took some current measurements with my cheapo DMM. I got about 200mA to the LED on high. Doesn't seem bad to me, haven't had chance to play with it in the dark but it seems pretty bright!

On low it was around (i think...) 10mA, but i couldn't see the display of the DMM since the high mode had left dots in my eyes :cool:

- Dan

Ogg Vorbis

Newly Enlightened
ogg your are the man :party:

I've been sitting in the dark too long, be assured, this isn't my first, best or last mod :devil: but shows that it's quite easy to open up. My tikka+ was a nightmare!

I'm going to be planning a camping trip this weekend with some frinds, so i should have some real feedback on the headlight by the end of the month.

Dan

Latest posts