Coronavirus flashlight

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd bet you could mod a Convoy L2 to take that emitter with a little effort (the center hole in the reflector needs to be opened up). I don't have personal experience with this host, so maybe someone who does can chime in?

conandrum

Newly Enlightened
Hey, Thanks for the suggestion.
I can see that this flashlight can take 2x 26650 @3.7V, but it can also take only one.
That opens the question: what voltage is it sending to the LEDs? Does that depend on the controller?
What controller should I use with these UVC LEDs which need 6+V to operate properly? and ideally I need only ON/OFF functionality because there is probably NO VISIBLE LIGHT in order for you to adjust the power. So it is better to have just ON/OFF functionality.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2 has two sections of tube. If you use both, you can fit two batteries in series. That would give you 6-8V. There's no way, in that host, to get two batteries in parallel for 3-4V. That's the voltage sent to the driver. The driver determines what gets sent to the LEDs.

Almost all LED drivers are either current regulating (meaning that they control the current sent to the LEDs) or direct drive. A direct drive or FET driver simply connects the battery to the LEDs with as little in between as possible. These drivers depend on the resistance of the batteries, LEDs, FET, and wiring to limit the current to a safe level.

The LED board you linked to is designed for only 80 mA, so you definitely want a current-regulating driver. A FET or direct drive driver would probably fry the emitters in a second or less on fully charged batteries, even low-current ones.

80 mA is a pretty low current for flashlight drivers. While there are many that can be dimmed to that level, or even well below that, you'd want to make sure it NEVER came on at full power. There are few drivers that have a max of less than 350 mA, and that could easily destroy the emitters before you knew something was wrong. There are some however, that have a resistor that can be changed to adjust the max output current.

I usually make my own drivers, so I don't follow the commercial world very well. If there's a good driver out there for you, I'm not aware of it. What you need is a low dropout buck or linear driver with a sense resistor you can change to adjust the output current. Maybe someone will suggest a good one for you. Usually people are interested in changing resistors to increase output, but you want to decrease it, but that shouldn't matter.

I actually have made and sold such a driver, and while I haven't sold one in some years now, I could easily make you one with a single 80 mA mode. It's rather spendy and massively overkill for what you want, and I'm not sure it would fit in the L2, but if so I think it would actually work pretty well. Post in this thread if you are interested. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...table-10A-linear-LED-driver-New-and-Improved!

conandrum

Newly Enlightened
Thanks DIWdiver. To be honest its much better if we can find off the shelf, cheap parts otherwise its not worth the effort.

I ask the moderator to allow this link due to necessity.
Take a look at this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000624878510.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.61ef3c00XiPsey&mp=1

They show a driver powered by USB. (I also send messages to 3 similar listings to tell me what 20mm driver they suggest with their PCB)
The displayed driver is square though, but it seems to be designed to power even 3x LEDs (maybe even 4x - I will wait for their reply).
Do you think we can use this square driver inside an existing host? Maybe an existing host which has openings for USB charging?

BlindingLights

Newly Enlightened
What about those fluorescent disinfectant lights, you could leave them running in an empty room for several minutes pointed at the thing you're trying to disinfect.

Big Clive had one where it would fit into a regular household light fitting.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
254nm, anything higher is not effective, you also do not want that light to hit your skin, there are germicidal fluorescent bulbs sold, that have enough power and aren't mad expensive

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting thread.
Not sure if the OP created the thread as mental folly, or is duly serious.

Latest posts