cost of bare LEDs same as reflowed + PCB?

flashlightGiggles

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to your input on my last thread, I started shopping for a cheap hot air reflow station on ebay. I won't be buying one soon, but I just need to know how much money this new hobby is going to cost me so that I can budget accordingly. I'm not great at soldering, but I was good enough to mod Xboxes back in the day.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Do-you-reflow-toaster-hot-air-or-reflow-oven

Next, I start taking a closer look at bare LEDs and MCPCBs. I've browsed mtnelectornics and fasttech and to my novice eye, it seems like the cost of bare LEDs + and MCPCB is the same (and sometimes MORE) the an already reflowed LED and board.

Am I shopping incorrectly? I'm not seeing any significant cost advantage to reflowing your own LEDs.

Am I shopping at the wrong sites?
Is there something besides costs that entice you to reflow your own LEDs?

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
For reflowing LED stars, I use a small output Weller heat gun. They can be found for about $20-50 and have quick cooldown option. Unlike allot of the large opening units used for plumbing, heatshrinking, etc.... this only has off/on/blower so you can cool the star down right after reflow.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Unfortunately the cost of bare LED's from almost all the parts sources is the same or more that ones already mounted. You have to buy the bare LED in large quantities from the parts wholesalers, like Mouser/Digikey etc, to get a break. But the advantage you get from buying larger quantities is if you are planning on building some triples or quads you have a better chance of matching the LED's much closer for better performance.

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
Check out the Atten 858D for a relatively cheap reflow option, about $80 and gives you temperature control, cooldown, different nozzle sizes etc.

As m4a1usr says, it's mainly in bulk where you get any price difference, you'd mainly be doing your own reflow when you want a specific combo and can't get it ready-made, so you are prepared to pay a bit of a premium to achieve the exact outcome you want. In some cases it's actually cheaper to buy pre-mounted and de-solder, then reflowing onto a different star.

flashlightGiggles

Newly Enlightened
@rogue thanks for the hot air station recommendation. I'll keep my eye on prices for that one .

I dont think I'll be making any exotic dropins for a while, so acquiring a hot air station is not a high prioroty anymore. For now, anyway.