Could you make do with three lights?

MikeM

Newly Enlightened
Hmmmm.....I probably could get by with 3 torches,but boy I wouldn't want to !!! :crackup:

I guess the 3 would be my 1 cell Vital Gear body with SF head and LM lamp,my Z2 with Cree drop in,and my SF M3.

Mike

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would find limiting my EDC options quite a challenge - my favourates are the TiPD-S, Seoulmated HDS EDC Basic and Spy005 - if there was a gun to my head and I had to choose it would be the TiPD-S.

For keychain size it would be the Lummi NSWee (but I'd hate to see my NS RAW go)

For a thrower I'd keep an SFM6.

That's the 3 but would mean I'd have to get rid of the Mule which ain't gonna happen - so I would keep the Mule and hide the NS Wee inside :p.

22hornet

Enlightened

For perhaps 20 years I used only 3 lights, a Solitare, a 2 AAA Minimag, and a 2 AA Minimag, and never felt that I needed more.

Same here. For fifteen years my Solitaire, 2AAA minimag and 6C did very well. I hope the new lights will prove as rugged as these old maglites.

To replace them now, I guess I would take the following three:

- ARC AAA turquoise led (replaces the Solitaire, so to speak) :thumbsup:
- Inova Bolt 2AAA (replaces the minimag 2aaa, so to speak) :thumbsup:
- Fenix L2D rebel100 (replaces the 6C, so to speak) :thumbsup:

Yes, I guess I could do with these three.:whistle:
Problem is that with the Maglites you could replace anything (bulbs, reflectors, etc.) with the new lights: dead is dead.

Kind regards,
Joris

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Three torches only?

This means forgetting what I like/enjoy/want, and concentrating only on what I need.

This means ditch the EDC, and ditch all the around-the-house within-easy-reach torches and lanterns.

My three would have to be:
1. A bedside torch. Probably my modded vintage No8.
2. A torch in the car for breakdown use. Has to have good runtime, good flood for shining on the job, good throw for signalling/distant viewing, and excellent battery standby capacity. The standard, non-rechargeable Eveready Dolphin is the only sensible choice.
3. A bright torch for general around-the-house use. Must tailstand for celing bounce in event of blackout. A 6D Maglite would be my weapon of choice.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last three I've bought have not disappointed me.

Malkoff drop in for my 3D Maglite (heavy perfection)

L1Tv2 Rb80 (tactical and small)

L2D Premium100 (all the bells and whistles)

D cells and Nimh AA's.

Novatac 120 - Built like a tank, jack of all trades on the run.
Surefire L4 -Built like a tank, wall of light for the homebody in me.
Gerber Infinity Ultra - cheap price, good build, long runtime, nice round flood beam; the perfect bedside light that will not blind you.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I really had to, I think that these would cover 99% of my uses...YMMV

HDS U60 SSC (with optional 2x123 extension tube)
Millermods 2 stage Arc AAA
A good quality headlamp (PT Apex or the like)

CFU

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
what about lights that can transform and be more than 1, like for instance

1.fenix in lego formation L1d,L2d,P2d

2.Malkoff in 1D mag running 3aa or 4aa , With 1D & 2D extensions to run optional 2,3,4 D cell

3. Terralux 6ex in 3d mag with 1D extension so running in 4d for best output and very good runtime , could even use the malkoff ext to make 6cell for emergency

ALL my mags are pewter so ext match

Gatsby

Enlightened
I used only three flashlights for well over a year, actually.

Streamlight Strion. High power incandescent thrower, rechargeable for free lumens and small. I still like having one high power hotwire on hand, but with some of the newer Cree/Seoul lights I might rethink this. But the Strion has been ultra reliable.

HDS B42XRGT. Covers 90%+ of my other bases, including EDC. Useful settings and a UI that once you learn provides a lot of flexible choices. Thinking about a Seoul mod but am worried about losing the really low low that I use a lot.

Photon microlight II. Backup keyring light.

I only recently added a Peak Pacific on a CR2 body as my EDC light as teh HDS was a bit bulky in business casual attire (i.e. no batman utility belt!).

But... I've been thinking about trying a Hyperion CR-E as I like the form factor, size and general features (mostly the memory which lets me turn it back on in the low setting), plus it's inexpensive! Still, hesitating and thinking that the money would be better put toward a Seoul mod of the HDS... ahh choices.

I could dump the photon and exist pretty easily with the Peak, HDS and Strion without losing much sleep!

soffiler

Enlightened
Three lights? I have a "system" consisting of three lights, although my choices might seem odd to many CPF'rs at first glance.

Here goes:

- Coast Focusing Lenser #7438 with SSC P4 U-bin mod
- Coast Dual-color #7736
- Princeton Tec Impact II

A lot of you probably aren't very impressed. Read on.

First of all, they are all AAA format. Originally not a favorite cell format of mine, I've finally come around, by converting to Eneloop low-self-discharge NiMH.

Next, they are all direct-drive or resistor-regulated. This gives them a rugged, reliable simplicity that no driver circuit can match. And by running NiMH, with a relatively constant discharge curve, you get a reasonably consistent output.

Third, the two Coast lights use the exact same 3xAAA cell cartridge, and two cartridges provide me with 2.5 hours of reasonably consistent output from the incredibly bright (about 170 lumens out the front on fresh cells) and useful (decent range of focus with minimal beam artifacts) Coast Focusing Lenser.

Fourth, the Princeton Tec (4xAAA) makes a nice, waterproof spare cell carrier to either extend the range of the Focusing Lenser by another 1.25 hours, or to use directly, with it's single 5mm running for days continuously.

Fifth, the Dual Color 7736 is a nice, floody 5x5mm white plus 1x5mm red which makes a great indoor light and camping light.

This system provides for about 1 lumen, about 20 lumens, about 170 lumens of white, and a couple lumens of red. There are spot options (Princeton Tec and Focusing Lenser) and there are flood options (Dual Color and Focusing Lenser).

The direct-drive and AAA formats have additional benefits in SHTF situations:

AA alkalines disappear from the store shelves quickest, leaving behind... AAA of course.

Direct-drive lights running on alkalines have a very long, slow taper of diminishing output whereas many regulator circuits suck the cells down then suddenly leave you in the dark. For serious runtime, The Princeton Tec on alkalines will keep providing useful illumination for about 3 days continuously, or over a month at 2 hours per night.

BigD64

Enlightened
My 3 would be:

Surefire U2:twothumbs
Surefire L1 (older version with 1.1 lumen setting) Unless I get a Titan:candle:

Fenix PD3 (Rebel 100):twothumbs

Sure but steady wins the race.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
VIP modded with Seoul P4-three levels of light-2AA or one CR123- can fit 3" head to it-can clip to hat using CR123

SF KL5- one 18650-2 CR123's

CR2 Ion- 1 CR2, or in emergency use RCR2.

Bill

prinsen-ranch

Newly Enlightened
If I had to cut down to just three lights I'd keep my constantly carried, but little used backup light - an Arc AAAp. I depend on its absolute reliability and long runtime even though I usually have at least one other more versitile light with me.

I'd also keep not one, but two EDC lights: my Surefire A2 and my Novatac 120P. Both get used a lot and one or the other is always within reach. I really couldn't choose between them. I like the feel and UI of the Surefire, but prefer the size and versitility of the Novatac. I usually grab the A2 when I go out at night, but carry the Novatac on my belt all day.

I'd reluctantly get rid of my long range light - a Surefire M6. I really don't use it that often, but if I could choose between my two EDC lights, I'd then keep the M6.

Sounds like my answer to the original question is "No. I want four lights.":)

Mark

Khaytsus

Enlightened
If I had to, yes.. Although I don't have a huge pile of lights.

I'd keep my EDC, the P2D CE. Arc AAA is very handy for me when geocaching for its very low level of output, so I think I'd keep that.

I love my Surefire E1e (see sig) but it's somewhat duplication of my P2D so if I had to pick 3 to keep, I'd keep my Mag 4D for runtime. I have an EverLED 1W Luxeon bulb in it, and a PR LED replacement bulb in the tail. The PR LED would run for about 50 years I think. :D

It actually came in very handy several years ago in an ice storm when we were out of power for a week. Bounced it off the ceiling to have some light and used it for general purpose light. Nice to have light taking a shower too. Power was out, but thank god for a gas water heater!

Latest posts