cow orkers & other acquaintances who act as if they have a right to borrow your light

thattomguy

Newly Enlightened
Re: cow orkers & other acquaintances who act as if they have a right to borrow your l

I have light that I bought on eBay that works fine if you push the little button. If you try to use the slide switch it will give you a shock. I keep it in my desk at work after loaning it out people don't ask to borrow stuff any more. :confused:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Re: co-workers & other acquaintances who act as if they have a right to borrow your l

Hello Chris_Himself, to correct your thread title click on Edit Post, then Go Advanced, and you can make necessary edit to thread title. :)

Bill

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Re: cow orkers & other acquaintances who act as if they have a right to borrow your l

I have light that I bought on eBay that works fine if you push the little button. If you try to use the slide switch it will give you a shock. I keep it in my desk at work after loaning it out people don't ask to borrow stuff any more. :confused:

I've encountered a similar type of flashlight. Perhaps even the same model. Mild shock if you push on the side-switch.

An interesting novelty item.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashlight commandeered

I was with my immediate supervisor, her boss from corporate, & a group of maintenance guys. The power was out, & one of the maintenance guys asked the corporate guy if they can take "that" flashlight (pointing at mine) down to a control room. The corporate guy said "yes of course" on my behalf & looked at me expectantly. Then they all stonefaced me in disbelief when I said "no, sorry, but this one's not even mine to loan out" & offered to get them one of our plastic 2D drugstore incans instead. They took it, but I'm pretty sure my immediate supervisor was pretty horrified & embarrassed of my manners!

:faint:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Re: flashlight commandeered

I was with my immediate supervisor, her boss from corporate, & a group of maintenance guys. The power was out, & one of the maintenance guys asked the corporate guy if they can take "that" flashlight (pointing at mine) down to a control room. The corporate guy said "yes of course" on my behalf & looked at me expectantly. Then they all stonefaced me in disbelief when I said "no, sorry, but this one's not even mine to loan out" & offered to get them one of our plastic 2D drugstore incans instead. They took it, but I'm pretty sure my immediate supervisor was pretty horrified & embarrassed of my manners!
1 - Maintenance guy was rude as Hell not to ask you directly to borrow the light.

2 - Corporate guy was rude as Hell to say yes. (But let's be honest, the guys at corporate have a certain mentality. Won't get into it. Suffice it to say that his response was typical of what's consistant behavior from the breed.)

3 - You did the right thing since you were taking care of someone else's light.

Edit:

So apparently none of the maintenance guys had a flashlight? Not one light between them??

You know what . . . Even if it was your light, not worth loaning it out to such a group of incompetent individuals who show up to their job without a vital piece of work-related equipment. That's like me standing at the corner, waiting for the bus, and some dude in an MTA uniform runs up and shouts for me to jump on his back. Oh look, it's the bus-driver. He showed up to work without a certain piece of "equipment." :ironic:

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL thanks Monocrom you pretty much expressed every other thought I had but just omitted. They came in a truck I assumed was full of tools, so either they didn't want to go back out there since mine was handy, or that guy just wanted to use what was obviously the brightest light among us. But yeah the general attitude that my personal property is at their disposal because i'm their inferior was annoying.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Some people don't seem to really understand the concept of property and it is so frustrating when they then get annoyed that you are not happy to just give them you things.

Recently at work I had to buy a special chair because I have a bad back (and work would not pay) so I am now the only person in the office who has had to pay £400 for their own chair. Many people (including my boss who knows how I feel) still don't understand this and use it when I am out of the office, despite me putting a sign on it. I don't want someone fiddling with my chair, farting into it and dropping food on it. Pay for your own!

I have to say, that I would not take any of my expensive lights into work where someone might have a reason to borrow it. There are loads of good and very cheap lights (I have a Q5 zoom torch which cost $7 delivered and performs brilliantly and looks quite expensive) which I wouldn't mind lending but would make it clear it has to come straight back and in the condition I lent it.

This thread continues to make my blood boil when I hear people's experiences.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast

:faint:

What was the light they wanted to borrow?

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

It was my brother's. A spot type light, but i'd have to ask him about the brand/model. It was so bright that it would have been blindingly inappropriate for that room. To the point that they were probably better off with the cheap 2D plastic light I ultimately gave them.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently at work I had to buy a special chair because I have a bad back (and work would not pay) so I am now the only person in the office who has had to pay £400 for their own chair. Many people (including my boss who knows how I feel) still don't understand this and use it when I am out of the office, despite me putting a sign on it. I don't want someone fiddling with my chair, farting into it and dropping food on it. Pay for your own!

This is exactly what has kept me from investing in a nice chair at work.

As someone kind of into furniture/mattress foams i consider your chair to be consumable in a sense. Even the best foams stay resilient for only a limited time, after which the therapeutic value is lost. So even if they are not abusing it & eating on it, extra people just sitting on it when you're not around, it's going to wear out that much faster.

Maybe swap your sign out for one of those steering wheel bar locks across the armrests. But then they'd probably do something to it out of spite.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

The dumb ones are afraid to borrow my lights cause they all know how much they cost...if they ask, I give them a beater mini-mag. The "intelligent" ones will ask when needed, but they respect them, knowing how much they cost, and promptly return them when done..they're "trusted". The rest know my other hobbies, and are afraid to mess with ANY of my stuff.

RBR

Enlightened

Last edited:

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Whenever someone wants to borrow my light and I don't want them to I, use the old "This light is a work in progress and is still in the prototype phase - the last one I made exploded and took a chunk of my hand out, so be very careful, if you hear any hissing or feel any warmth whatsoever, turn it off, drop it in the waste bin, and run!" - That ALWAYS works...

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Re: Flashlight lending catastrophy...

This is SO true, in so many situations !

People actually say:

" Gee . . . . i never THOUGHT about what would happen once it got DARK ! "

DUH ! ! !

:stupid:

:banghead:
_

That reminds me of Al Sleet, the Hippy Dippy Weatherman. "Tonight's forecast... dark! Continued dark through the night, changing to widely scattered light in the morning."

/old George Carlin skit

paddling_man

Newly Enlightened

I work with other engineers who routinely carry around handheld pieces of test equipment that may be $40,000-50,000 dollars. While I own several "good" ($50-$100,) I don't own any torches costing much over that. If I've got it in my pocket, it is a "user" on which I expect to see some wear and/or dings. In my business, nearly everything is relatively expensive so folks treat things with respect and I get more joy out of "bringing someone into the light" than my concern over a new ding. They generally aren't asking to do anything too bizarre with a flashlight... not like using it to hammer or anything.

The exception? If someone asks to borrow one of my knives, I ask what they are planning to cut. If the bozo is preparing to pry wood staples or use my Sebenza as a screwdriver, then I put the ixnay on it.

If it is a "user," and they are using it as the tool is intended, I'm generally okay with it.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast

Whenever someone wants to borrow my light and I don't want them to I, use the old "This light is a work in progress and is still in the prototype phase - the last one I made exploded and took a chunk of my hand out, so be very careful, if you hear any hissing or feel any warmth whatsoever, turn it off, drop it in the waste bin, and run!" - That ALWAYS works...

Hah! I've wanted to try that just to see what the reaction would be! I'd mention the exploding laptop problem from a while back and say "remember those? Well this light uses the same type of batteries, so watch out!!" :devil:

Anyway, all this just emphasizes that the "concealed carry" concept is a good policy for lights too. If they can't see it and don't know you have it, then they won't be asking to borrow it....

Leave a beater light at your desk (or whatever) and if anybody does ask you can just say "go get the one out of my desk drawer"

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's a nice, hardcore, version of my normal excuse of "oh, the battery's flat, sorry"

The guys I work with are pretty good, and have stopped borrowing my EDC since I supplied them all with Solarforce L2r's. Now there's no excuse for needing to borrow mine!

Ian2381

Enlightened

Remembering comments here on CPF on how durable the FenixE01, I decided to buy another one and include it in my keychain and will serve as my lending light, for the price and reliability I know what ever he/she will do to it, it will survive, I'll just have to make sure to remind them to return it.

SgtCuts

Newly Enlightened
Remembering comments here on CPF on how durable the FenixE01, I decided to buy another one and include it in my keychain and will serve as my lending light, for the price and reliability I know what ever he/she will do to it, it will survive, I'll just have to make sure to remind them to return it.

Yea along with your keys lol

Ian2381

Enlightened

Yea along with your keys lol

I'll make sure to lend only the light without keys. Or maybe I also should have a duplicate keychain. lol