CR123 2C MagMod and bulb info (more pics!!)

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got the bug to try a super simple mod that even I could do, ehem, with JimH's help. I went over to get the details on how to mod a Mag 2C using three CR123 Lithium 3v batteries. But what did I find when I got there? THE USL!!!!! :faint: Holy cow is that thing bright especially at close range!!!!

Jim has a cutdown piece of clear vinyl tubing, much like you see used for aquarium air pumps but a lot larger. We used three different bulbs and measured the current draw under load and they all came to around 1.8A draw. We couldn't measure the Voltage under load, so if anyone wants to add this info please do :)

Here are the bulbs.
Carley CL1499 6V
Carley CL612 6V Krypton
Reflectalite.com GH24 6V 10W

I'm waiting for darkness to fall so I can measure the LUX readings to find out which bulb has a brighter hotspot if any and I will also take some beamshot pics with my new manual digital camera.

I'm still not sure of the efficacy of each bulb and which one will have the longest runtime so please share your ideas and data.

PS late last night I was able to measure one of the bulbs at 19,000 LUX !!!! more to come :D

Quote from an old CPF thread on the CL-1499
CL-1499 (I don't think it is on their website)
T-1 1/2, xenon, 7.2 volts (optimized to be operated with 3 lithium batteries), 1.84 amps, 30.7 candle power (avg.), 3450× kelvin @ 7.2 volts (3500× kelvin @ 7.8 volts), 15 life hours @ 7.2 volts (10 hrs @ 7.8 volts)

I got a few from Carley last year and they have been quite robust performers (no failures yet after many sets of batteries). At 3x123, they seem to be a smidge brighter and whiter than CA808's on 4x123, and because they are the smaller T1.5 size (versus the T2.5 CA808), they can focus to a tighter spot. The smaller size should also cause less "thermal distress" to the stock reflector (I think in theory the Mag reflector should be able to handle this wattage, but I did have some slight reflector discoloration occur when running a CA808 that was potted slightly off-center). And you should be able to run these off of 6 nimh AAs quite well, although I haven't gotten off my lazy butt to try this yet.
Here's some data I found on the CL-612 Krypton 6V 1.7A 10.2W fil.res. 3.53 ohm and 182-Lumens

Here is what is on Reflectalite's page GH24 Halogen 6V 1.7A 10W 201-Lumens for $6.24 each

Last edited:

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: CR123 2C MagMod and bulb info

I have that same combination with a Carley HOP refector in my 2C. Works great and the 1499 is holding up well. Very tight beam it can do as well with that tiny filament. Very nice simple mod.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, pretty exciting findings! After getting some inconsitant readings I decided to try using a brand new Mag 2C because we were having some problems with some type of short in the old Mag. It was super easy, I just put some flour, ehem, hi-tech white powder on the vinyl hose and slid it right down the battery tube. Filled it with 3 fresh CR123 Titanium 3V Lithium batteries and screwed off the reflector head. Unscrewed the bulb holder and popped in the Carley 1499. Screwed back on the Mag head with stock smooth plastic reflector and cheap plastic lense. JimH had a nice LOP reflector on the other 2C.

First thing I noticed was the bright white hotspot. No fiddling with the switch, on again off again or slapping it, I mean adjusting it to use the full current. I couldn't wait to go to the bathroom! To take some LUX readings in my SCE Scientificaly Controlled Enviornment. I couldn't believe my eyes! 28,000 LUX??? I tried turning it on and off and refocusing and back on the spare toilet paper roll ehem, I mean FSA Flashlight Stability Apparatus. Sure enough 28,000 LUX people!! for about $25 bucks!! I grabbed for my Tiger74 in disbelief. No way can this be as strong as my custom modded Carley smooth reflectored, WA1274 loaded, battery packed by JS, TIGER74. Way! they were pretty much the same but the Tiger74 had way better parts and UCL to boot. Seemed like the Mag 2C CL-1499 was even white hotter than the Tiger74 side by side. I wish I had my camera, which I left at the office.

After swapping out the 1499 Xenon for the Japanese made GH24 Halogen I headed back to the SCE to get a reading but noticing that it wasn't quite as bright. Sure enough, the GH24 measured in a solid and respectable 18,000 LUX. After trying out the focus a bit I swapped out the GH24 with the Carley 612 Krypton. Back at the SCE and some time on the FSA I got a solid 24,000 LUX. Amazing! This is a sweeet mod, swapping out bulbs in a CR123 loaded Mag 2C.

So I took the Mag, now loaded with the 612 out for a test drive to see how it performed in the real world. It's a clear night with a sliver of a moon and my street has no lights so it's dark, enough so you can't see the end of the street which is about 150+ yards away. At least until the CL-612 fires some photons down there. Long tight spot lights up the end of the street easily. You could clearly see a lot of detail at 100 yards and still pretty clear at 150. Very nice. Sorry I don't have pics for you guys but hopefully I'll get some nice shots tomorrow.

Here are the totals.

CL-1499 28,000 LUX
CL-612 24,000 LUX
GH24 18,000 LUX
CA1057p 16,000 LUX
Stock Mag 2C 6,400 LUX

Would be nice if someone had any idea of the runtimes for these the different combinations. :)

Last edited:

Niteowl

Enlightened

Great info seeing as how I just started with my 2C using the cheap and humble KPR112. Wonder what the LUX reading is on that. Sounds like the Carley bulb's the way to go. Where to get them and how much are they?

I'm curious as to how the LOP and HOP reflectors affect throw.

Last edited:

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have an HOP(4) and smooth(1). The effect is very minor on the throw end. But the beam is much nicer, cleaner with HOP. If you look at my reflector thread, I stated I use the same light for my beam shots. The Carley 1499 / 2C was the one I used (Smaller, less beam candlepower made photo detail better). I could have picked any- it was arbitrary. But now you can all see exactly how any reflector works with this mod.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

Niteowl said:
Great info seeing as how I just started with my 2C using the cheap and humble KPR112. Wonder what the LUX reading is on that.

Ditto! Also, I'm running 4x123As in a 2D on a KPR118 which results in maybe a bit less throw than the KPR112/113 on 3x123s, but a much wider hotspot and what seems to me to be a lot more overall usable light.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

NikolaTesla said:
I have an HOP(4) and smooth(1). The effect is very minor on the throw end. But the beam is much nicer, cleaner with HOP. If you look at my reflector thread, I stated I use the same light for my beam shots. The Carley 1499 / 2C was the one I used (Smaller, less beam candlepower made photo detail better). I could have picked any- it was arbitrary. But now you can all see exactly how any reflector works with this mod.

What Luck!!! That's great NT. I'm on the list, how soon do you think well get those in our mits?

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

cratz2 said:
Ditto! Also, I'm running 4x123As in a 2D on a KPR118 which results in maybe a bit less throw than the KPR112/113 on 3x123s, but a much wider hotspot and what seems to me to be a lot more overall usable light.

A WA1318 works great on 4x123. I just put together a 4x123 2D mag using one.

Schuey2002

Enlightened

>>"CL-1499 28,000 LUX"<<

I wonder what kind of LUX reading you would get with the same M@g setup, but using a Carley 1057 bulb instead of the 1499??
thinking.gif

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounding like 1/2006 the way Carley works. Quality, yes. Speedy service, NOT.

CromagNet said:
What Luck!!! That's great NT. I'm on the list, how soon do you think well get those in our mits?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a friend with a 2C, and I want to help him fall in love with it (and hopefully end up a flashaholic). Anyway, I have some potted wa1274's laying around and I'm wondering if 3 123's will power it. Will it?

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Trashman said:
I have a friend with a 2C, and I want to help him fall in love with it (and hopefully end up a flashaholic). Anyway, I have some potted wa1274's laying around and I'm wondering if 3 123's will power it. Will it?

Hey there Trashman! Im not sure the WA bulbs are good choices for the three CR123 setup. I can't remember why the 1274 wont work IIRC but hopefully someone can chime in and let us all know what to look for when choosing a bulb for this setup. Something about Voltage sag, but what do I know. :)

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Won't work, eh? Hmm...Well, I guess I might have to give up my only frosted CA1499, then. I'll probably never use it for myself, anyway, and it'll look great with his stock smooth reflector.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

WA1274 is beautiful in 2C 3X123 for about a minute or so. Then the lithiums can't take the amp draw anymore, heatup and the lamp goes orange. CA1057 is even prettier but my experience was that it was quick to go orange on 3X123.

I have mistakenly reported in the past that WA1274 was fine but after reading some of Lurveleven's posts I checked it out going past my usual 30 second bursts and, of course, he was right.

Last edited:

Schuey2002

Enlightened

Icebreak said:
CA1057 is even prettier but my experience was that it was quick to go orange on 3X123.
How quick are we talking about? Just a few minutes? Sooner?

litho123

Enlightened

Hi folks -

CromagNet -
Schuey2002 asked a very good Q ... I'll send you a potted 1057 to complete those lux readings. Just PM me your mailing addy.

Trashman -
I have a lightly used 1499 that I can send to you for your friend. Just PM me your mailing addy. BTW - I just haven't found the time to talk to you further about the HA III coating you had done, but I would sure like to see pics of it.

NikolaTesla -
I'll call you and ask to borrow your frosted 1499. I want to compare that to the non-frosted one. I have something in the works :naughty:

Icebreak -
I couldn't find the WelchAllyn 1234 bulb on their website. What are the specs on it?

RE: The WA 1274...
It draws 2.77a. That's a healthy demand on the 123 batts...estimated 15 minutes of runtime stinks IMO. One would have to drive it on 4x123 to compensate for the voltage sag, however, then you're on the upper insta-flash edge. I seem to recall a nearly 50% flash rate on fresh 4x123's.

If you run it in a 2D light on twin stacks of 3x123, it cuts the amp load in half and doubles your runtime to around 44 minutes.

For comparison
The Surefire Px1 bulbs draw 2.2a to 2.3a (advertised runtime @ 20 minutes)
The Carley 1057 draws 2.00a = estimated 26 minutes of runtime
The Carley 1499 draws 1.84a = estimated 30 minutes of runtime
The GH24 draws 1.70a = estimated 33 minutes runtime
The Surefire Px0 lamp draws 1.1a to 1.2a (advertised runtime @ 60 minutes)

In the meantime, this will give you a fairly good idea of runtime...

[edited] for runtime figures

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Shuey2002 -

I better run another test on the CA1057. Looks like others are getting better results.

Greg -

That was WA1274 that was going orange on 3 new Bat. Stat. CR123s in less than two minutes.

BTW, got your package. Thank you! Did you get mine? The CA809 is very happy in a dk grn 3C. That thing can really dial in tight. I can now see some trees I couldn't see before because of the forest. I liked the CA1057 very much. It responds to focusing very well. Has this inner corona thing that will trade density with the hotspot. I'll retest @ 3X123.

I need to go look at your bulb thread for availibility. I keep getting ideas.

- Jeff

litho123

Enlightened

Icebreak said:
Greg -

That was WA1274 that was going orange on 3 new Bat. Stat. CR123s in less than two minutes.

BTW, got your package. Thank you! Did you get mine? The CA809 is very happy in a dk grn 3C. That thing can really dial in tight. I can now see some trees I couldn't see before because of the forest. I liked the CA1057 very much. It responds to focusing very well. Has this inner corona thing that will trade density with the hotspot. I'll retest @ 3X123.

I need to go look at your bulb thread for availibility. I keep getting ideas.

- Jeff

The 1274 on 3x123 is underdriven which would account for the yellow/orange color.

I did get your pkg...I haven't had time to pop them in and see the results...

I assume you are running the 809 on 4x123 which is fine... BUT try adding a Lithium AA. It really perks up the brightness!

Greg

Latest posts