CR123 2C MagMod and bulb info (more pics!!)

WhiteHot

Enlightened
I wenthe the KPR112/113 route for a while and was also tired of popping bulbs. Seemed to happen every time I went to show someone the light. I am currently running a CA1499 in one of them (my fun light) and a 6 cell mag Xenon star in the other that is in my truck (my reliable, long runtime light). Havent found the 5 cell krypton mag bulb in a store yet. I have some protected 18650 cells on order from AW. Cant wait till I get those so I can run the 1499 without any guilt. I have a feeling I am going to need some more 1499's after I get the cells though.

I have a KIU C-cell bipin holder just waiting to be installed. I still havent figured out what I want to do with it but I know I want it to be a protectred rechargeable lithium solution. The LO Pelican bulb looks good in a 2C. Lightedge had a suggestion for the WA 1336 in the 3C in another thread that looked pretty good too. Hey lightedge, carry some of the pelican bulbs and the CA1499's will ya ;)

Rommul

Enlightened
litho123 said:
Light-edge.com currently has the aluminum reflectors in stock.

Aluminum reflectors come in assorted finishes.
SMOOTH, (undercoat & aluminize) - This finish mimics the stock Maglite reflector, uglies and all. Some feel that this gives the best throw in terms of distance.
The Orange Peel coatings vary from LIGHT, MEDIUM, to HEAVY coating.
LIGHT ORANGE PEEL (LOP) – Some smearing of the "uglies" The hotspot is a bit more uniform. Some feel there is a small loss in distance throw vs. the SMOOTH finish.
MEDIUM ORAGE PEEL (MOP) – More smearing of the "uglies" The hotspot is a bit more uniform/larger than the LOP. Some feel there is a small loss in distance throw vs. the LOP finish. Some feel that this is the best tradeoff and is starting to have that surefire type hotspot.
HEAVY ORANGE PEEL (HOP) – Further smearing of the "uglies" The hotspot is a bit more uniform/larger than the MOP. Some feel there is a small loss in distance throw vs. the MOP finish.
Sales in order of popularity: MOP (50%) LOP (25%) SMOOTH (15%) HOP (10%)

Thanks man.

litho123 said:
CAMMED (adjustable) vs. CAMLESS (fixed)

CAMMED OPERATION
The stock Maglite has a cammed reflector…as you rotate the head, your focus varies from flood to narrow to flood to narrow… The angled cam at the rear of the reflector is what is doing that. Otokayama, Fivemega, Light-edge, and others have made limited quantities of cammed aluminum reflectors to use with the superbulbs and sometimes are hard to find. They generally are more expensive than the camless reflectors.

CAMLESS OPERATION
The camless reflectors do not have the cam. It has to be focused by other means. We have to use focusing shims to obtain the focus you want. Most people like a nice, narrow beam for maximum throw. Focus shims are added until you have the desired focus. It is very easy. Once the light is focused and reassembled, the focus does not change despite rotating the head. Having operated both, I prefer not having the cam. You set it, then forget it until you change bulbs.

Yeah I get the concept of camless cammed but didn't know who had them.

litho123 said:
RE: the KPR112
I got tired of replacing them like candy as they popped so frequently. I went to Meijer and picked up a 2-pak of Mag 5-cell bulbs for 3.99 and use those instead. You get about 90+ minutes of runtime on a set of batts. My dad is on his 4th set of batts without a blown bulb to replace.

Thanks for the advice.

I have some 5 cell bulbs i was using until someone told me about the KPR112.

I certainly love the amount of life it gives out (like I said this is my first real light and this thing is amazing to me). I am going to see how long the 112 compared to the 118 I have in reserve then decide.

Thansk for the time.

You have any specific info on these focusing shims?

PS I see lightedge might have some of these shims.

Last edited:

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
AWESOME Info :)

Ah, the Mag2C/3X123 combo. That's what originally drew me to CPF in the beginning. I've been using mine with 2 rechargeable C-cells and a Krypton bulb just for daughter (2 yrs old) to play with. They have no concept of turning it off when they're done with it and I didn't want the KPR112's burning through the carpet. :) But the PVC spacer and bulbs are still in my lights case.
Might have to get me some of those Carley bulbs and try it out again.

Last edited:

Mattman

Enlightened
Rommul said:
Anyone have an idea what would be a good bulb that produces a similar amount of light but with a longer shelf life.
Whitehot mentioned it, but I'll second the Mag Xenon star for 6 cell lights since it's not quite as rare as other bulbs mentioned in this thread. I keep that in the tail of my KPR112 light as a backup. It should last like a normal bulb since it'll be running within specs on 3x123. The fact that it's Xenon helps make it nearly as bright as the overdriven Krypton 5 cell KPR112 - in fact, it's pretty hard to tell which one's brighter, but I think the KPR112 is the winner.

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
This thread has been awesome....

But... Could some one just gimmie the bottom line....

9p & N2 with an SRTH or a Mag 2C mod?

I just haven't seen it spelled out clearly yet... dat's all. Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
StainlessSteel said:
This thread has been awesome....
But... Could some one just gimmie the bottom line....
9p & N2 with an SRTH or a Mag 2C mod?
I just haven't seen it spelled out clearly yet... dat's all. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Stainless,

Bottom line, sheer performance-wise, the SRTH probably outdoes the Mag2C.

IMHO, the cost of the Mag2C mod is negligible compared to a turbohead 3-cell SF. I can tell you first hand that the Mag2C, properly focused with the right bulb, will outthrow a P90 with a nice tight round hotspot. You could build a Mag2C right now for under $40 while walking through a hardware store. And it will be incredibly bright and tough and serve in all kinds of applications. The bang for the buck is incredible. Sputter the reflector with some clear gloss Krylon, get the Mag 6-cell Xenon bulb, you're good to go. I also used a smaller spring under the tailcap, just because after some rough use, my 2C squashes 123's with the stock spring.

If the SRTH is even an available option for you, there's no reason not to build a Mag2C to back it up.

Last edited:

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
Bang for buck these 2C mods are tough to beat. Spend slightly more on one of the GH24 bulbs from reflectalite or one the Carley bulbs and you've got something that will compare very well to an 9V SF in terms of raw performance. The performance can be slickened up quite a bit if you install an aluminum reflector that I would be happy to sell you as well. See my website.

Fair warning though. I have not used the Carley bulbs but the GH24 gobbles up CR123's hungrily. Expect maybe 15-20 minutes per battery set.

Niteowl

Enlightened
Stainless'

I must agree with sween1911's reply. I'm using a short lived RS KPR112 and stock reflector. I also have a new 9P/KT2. To be honest, I'm wondering if I want to keep th SF ($22 vs $150). For frequent use (with the 2C set-up I'm using), I'd stick with the SF. For something that is going to sit in the truck or a B.O.B., the 2C is perfect. I am considring a MOP/HOP reflector and better bulb which may determine whether or not I keep the SF.

SF with the 2C back up is a good way to go.

Rommul

Enlightened
Mattman said:
Whitehot mentioned it, but I'll second the Mag Xenon star for 6 cell lights since it's not quite as rare as other bulbs mentioned in this thread. I keep that in the tail of my KPR112 light as a backup. It should last like a normal bulb since it'll be running within specs on 3x123. The fact that it's Xenon helps make it nearly as bright as the overdriven Krypton 5 cell KPR112 - in fact, it's pretty hard to tell which one's brighter, but I think the KPR112 is the winner.

Thanks man.

I have only had this combo for less than a week and I am in love with it.

This is the bulbs you are talking about right?

http://www.action-lights.com/flashlights/maglite/accessories_and_bulbs/mag-num_star_lamp.asp?bhcp=1

WhiteHot

Enlightened
I received my protected 18650's from AW yesterday.I wanted to try the cells with my CA1499. After all, that would be a pretty darn nice light in terms of cost of construction, brightness, and runtime. I removed the anodizing on the tailcap with a dremel tool, slid out my PVC adapter for my 123's since the 18650's were to large in diameter to fit, and went to trial fit the cells. I staarted to screw down the tailcap and it hit the cells before it was tight, probably about another 1/16" to go. This was without a spring, ball of foil, etc. in there. I ended up loosening the switch assembly, popping the C-clip out of its groove, and sliding the switch forward about 3/16". I wanted to leave room for a spring. When I did this, I had to trim the tail end of the switch body so that the switch boot would stil fit.

BTW: The switch is fine without the C-clip as long as the set screw is good and tight.

For testing, I threw a ball of tinfoil in the tailcap and tightened the tailcap with the cells in place. I clicked the button and there was a quick blip of light. Clicked again, nothing. Waited a few minutes and clicked again, and there was another short burst of light. I clicked about 5 times and it fired up. I guess the current protection was kicking in. The batteries were not charged any more than when they came from AW. I threw them on the charger and after about 4 hours I tried again. This time everything was fine. I threw them back on the charger and went to bed. I woke up and they weren't finished charging yet. I will report back when I have more news on this configuration. I have some Pelican bulbs on order. I want to see if the low output Big D SLA bulb will work. And I have a 5 cell mag coming for the high output bulb ;)

Tesla

Enlightened
Every KPR112 I've tried has insta-flashed on me. The KPR118 seems to work fine, but I think I'm going to try one of the GH24 frosted bulbs for more/smoother light. I'd estimate the runtime with that bulb on 3x123 at about 50 minutes...correct?

WhiteHot

Enlightened
With the GH24 your run time will be more like 20-30 minutes. If you are looking for about an hour of runtime you should try the Mag 6 cell Xenon bulb or the 5 cell krypton.

And ya, the KPR112/113's flash all the time. I have about 10 spares that will probably never see any action cuz they just frustrate me.

Nasty

Newly Enlightened
I got a pewter 2c host today and set up a KPR112 3x123...nice light! How bright is a Mag85 compared to this? Twice as bright? Twice the throw? Marginally observable?

I was outside after dark for Halloween and had a plane fly overhead and the light reached it...I was amazed.

not2bright

Enlightened
I have a 2C 3x123, currently stock reflector and lens.

I have been messing with this mod for a few weeks and have found the following:

Mag Xenon 6 cell: white, nice output, OK beam.

Petzl Zoom 6v Xenon: instaflash :-(

RS KPR112: bad beam, OK output

Mag Krypton 5 cell: whiter than the KPR112, good output, good beam.

The Mag Krypton 5 cell isn't as white as the Xenon, but for some reason has the best beam quality, and great output. Maybe the KPR112 I got was a dud.

Found a bunch of (2) packs of the Mag 5 cell Krypton bulbs locally, for $.97 at ****s Sporting Goods. Actually they had 2,3,4,5, and 6 cell (2) packs of the White-Star all were reduced to $.97. :clap:

So for $.49 (vs. the $1.39 RS KPR112) the Krypton Mag works quite well for my setup. I have the 6 cell Xenon in the tail providing backup.

I am trying to get my hands on a CL-612 and CL-1499 for comparison. I have emailed Carley and am waiting on a response. Otherwise I guess these things aren't available anywhere? :shrug:

Last edited:

Nasty

Newly Enlightened
BTW...is it illegal to illuminate aircraft with a regular flashlight? I know you are not allowed to do it with a laser...

I am very interested in the difference between the KPR112 and the CL-1499.

Anyone have beamshots or numbers for this pair?

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info Not2Bright! Great find on all those bulbs too :)

Thanks to all for adding more good info to build on this theme. BTW, If someone sends me a KPR112, I'll post some more beamshots.

Also... I went to my local craft supply store to but some glass etching goop but they had the stuff under lock and key but lost the key. So I'll try to get some in the next day or so and frost a bulb or two. Currently I'm trying out a UCL LDF lens to get a nice flood light effect with good results. But we need comparison pics when I get these bulbs frosted.

Now I'm just trying to find some extra runtime. Stay tuned :)

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be a LOT more eager to jump at a 2C mod if it could accept Pila or Wolf Eyes 168 cells (67mm long). The inability of the 2C to accept these cells is what prompted FiveMega to offer his 2-1/2C Mod. Alas, that mod is no longer available.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul_in_Maryland said:
I'd be a LOT more eager to jump at a 2C mod if it could accept Pila or Wolf Eyes 168 cells (67mm long). The inability of the 2C to accept these cells is what prompted FiveMega to offer his 2-1/2C Mod. Alas, that mod is no longer available.

ModaMag is selling his 1C cutdown mags right now. Might have a couple left... You could make the Pila 1C mod easily then. :)

Check BST

not2bright

Enlightened
I sputtered the stock reflector on my 2C Mag last night.

Wow, what a difference! I had the clear acrylic laying around so I thought I would give it a try. I just lightly misted the clear on to the reflector until it looked like a textured reflector. That "smoothed out", or softened the hotsopt and spill nicely and it doesn't seem to have lost any throw.

Lets' see:

$15 - 2C host ($14.97 @ Lowes)
$.49 - bulb (Mag Krypton 5 cell 2pk $.97 @ ****'s Sporting Goods)
$.45 - 6" clear vinyl tubing from Lowes
$3 - 3 Battery Station CR123
Free - leftover clear acrylic spray

For a $19 this is an incredible great light that everyone should try.

Latest posts