Cree Optic Fibre Project Advice (drivers etc) please

Paul Baldwin

Enlightened
Hi, it's been a while since I've done anything with leds and never with Fibre Optics so I thought I'd run things by you lot first :) Basically I have a bunch of nice 1950's glass bricks, I want to install them in a line about 15' or 3m in length. They don't need to be bright, just a feature really or provide enough lumens to wander around in the middle of the night to find the loo without breaking my neck. I've looked at a lot of stuff that's available but it doesn't seem to be for me, ie I don't need RGW, twinkle, modes etc and trying to find anything with a decent and not generic led seems nigh on impossible. I've plenty of cpu coolers kicking about but I'm in two minds on the led to use. Initially I was looking at the Cree XHP35 HI on a Noctigan star. I was simply going to make a collar to fit over the die and put the ends of the cable upto the die. Possibly pushing it to 16W as the cooler I will use will be OTT. I've looked into lenses/optics but it seems I may well be better off DIY ditching them? If 1 isn't bright enough I can always double up. The other led I was looking at was the Cree CXA1512 which'll handle upto 24W and has a 9mm die so it'll handle more strands of fibre. My only reservation with these is the DIY fitting to a heatsink doesn't look that good efficiency wise? Some of the holders available don't seem that good and you can't really crank them down like you could with a star! Driver wise I want something to run direct off 230v AC. For the XHP35 I was looking at this http://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Mean-Well/PCD-16-1400B/?qs=/%2bo/YLy8OFrgEMFQw48dhQ== Would something like this do for the CXA1512? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301935235876?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT The specs seem to be different to the photo tho? I've done projects with multiple 3 watt stars before but I seem to be struggling with finding drivers for single leds? Any suggestions that aren't too premium in price would be great! Cheers Paul.