Custom 3x-18650 6061-T6 Flashlight

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another WOW ! :twothumbs

Really nice work there, good to see something new and different.

Welcome to CPF, keep posting lights like that and you'll have us eating out of your hands!

Galb

Newly Enlightened
Polishing for many of the turned surfaces is simply a matter of using a good metal polish (Mothers brand is my favorite) and soft, cotton cloth.

For the surfaces which are engraved and colored, it is much more work. I first sandblast the surface so that the color will adhere and then must sand the surface smooth again with wet/dry silicon carbide paper to at least a 600 grit finish. Then polish with a sanding block. A bit time consuming but it does look good when done.

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some photos of my latest flashlights. These use three 18650 LiIon cells, a SSC P7 emitter, and a 3-mode driver. They were made using both 2-1/4" and 2-3/4" 6061 round rod, except for the switch-surround which was milled from 1/2" 6061 plate. Milling/engraving was done on a Taig CNC mill. A Sherline rotary table was used for most of the engraving.
I do not sell these, but rather make them for family, friends, and myself. Enjoy.
1002764.jpg

Need a friend? :crackup::crackup::crackup:

Seriously, great work

Galb

Newly Enlightened
The color is Dykem Staining Colors, sold by Enco/MSC/etc. It is similar to Dykem Layout Fluid, but has some solids so is not nearly as tranparent yet drys to only a couple of thousands thick. I have used other colors as well, but none look as good with polished aluminum as does Black. Some solvents will remove it (e.g. Brake cleaner), but otherwise it is reasonably durable.