Customer service.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Unfortunately, for some bizarre reason the following scenario plays itself out with custom builders ...

They work hard, build up an excellent reputation, than later on (sometimes years down the road) decide to **** away their well-earned reputations; and royally screw over their customers. And for some bizarre reason, this $#!% happens a lot!!

I've literally lost count of the number of guys who have done that. Once highly respected members of our community, well-liked. Even loved. And I don't mean a one-man shop that gets flooded with orders, has a hard time keeping up, falls a bit behind, but still puts out wonderful custom creations. Yes, there is the waiting factor if you want something that's custom from a one-man shop. Delays can easily happen. In a regular business setting, an employee getting sick or needing to take time off to deal with a family emergency or a personal situation in their life, isn't going to effect business. With a one-man shop, something like a bad cold can shut down the business for several days. So patience is key.

I don't mean that type of situation. I mean the ones where the custom builder just decides they'd rather have money than a great reputation or keeping their word as a Man. This makes it harder on the guys who work hard to keep up with customer orders, and aren't out to screw us.

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a little concerned about a light I purchased from a custom builder over 5 weeks ago and still not heard a reply back. PayPal gives the buyer 45 days to file a claim and I'm coming up on that deadline. I don't want to take this course of action but I also don't want to surrender my protection as a buyer. I think 5 weeks of sitting on my money without so much as a reply back to an email is just a bit of a red flag..

You are more than justified to want to protect yourself...lots has been said about custom builders, their one-man operations, family life etc etc but when you're taking other people's money, you have an obligation and responsibility to act in good faith and to deliver the purchase as swiftly and in best possible quality as you could, and not communicating pro-actively is never a sign of good faith and no excuses otherwise should be acceptable.

Unfortunately we are seeing more and more of these happening, and it is not healthy for a small community like ours and especially unfair to those custom makers (eg McGizmo, Oveready, Jeff Hanko etc just to name a few) who go the extra steps to meet customers expectations!

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 2