Cygolite Metro vs Philips Saferide. Opinions?

JohnnyB

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks, the title says it all. I mainly do low speed riding/commuting on darkened city streets. I have been toying with one of these two (now that the price has dropped on the Saferide)

I do like the shaped beam on the Philips, but I like the idea of a strobe (Cygolite) for dusk/dawn.

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
A strobe function is great for daylight riding (I run the strobe in daylight)...The light is always on if I'm riding, day or night.

The Philips offering looks great too! If it truly is 1000 lumen equivalent, it would be great for daylight riding too. You would just have to consider the reduced run-time to determine if the Philips would fit your typical ride lengths/times.

swhs

Newly Enlightened
A strobe function is great for daylight riding (I run the strobe in daylight)...The light is always on if I'm riding, day or night.

The Philips offering looks great too! If it truly is 1000 lumen equivalent, it would be great for daylight riding too. You would just have to consider the reduced run-time to determine if the Philips would fit your typical ride lengths/times.

It is equivalent to a 1000 lumen circular symmetric beam (if that symmetric beam is bundled tightly) by my estimates, in how well it lights up the road. I think my estimates gave Philips an idea for advertising. So, some time later later Philips came to the same conclusion and put it on the packaging for in the US, probably because many cyclists there are used to using symmetric beams.

Even a Betty 2011 at 1850 lumen is not much better than the LBL. Barely better at all in fact because of overexposure of the near field which negates the better illumination of the Betty at long distances (ca. 70m). This is of course talking about illumination of the road and green beside it, not anything above it. And the Betty shines more light beside the road.

Not sure how well daylight visibility is compared to flashing. I don't like flashing/daytime lights (and it's not needed in NL, flashing is even illegal) so I've not done real comparisons on this aspect.

The current version with neutral white LEDs has a fantastic beam, the electronics is also much improved, uses just about all available power from the NiMH batteries. The low mode is better than the old low mode as well.

JohnnyB

Newly Enlightened
The current version with neutral white LEDs has a fantastic beam, the electronics is also much improved, uses just about all available power from the NiMH batteries. The low mode is better than the old low mode as well.

Thank you for this comparison. The price has really dropped. How can you tell if you have a first generation light? Do they look the same? Is the first generation still for sale?

swhs

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for this comparison. The price has really dropped. How can you tell if you have a first generation light? Do they look the same? Is the first generation still for sale?

Ask the seller you want to buy from for the production date (printed on the bottom of the lamp).

The ones I've got now are from week 41of 2012 (4112) or later.

These new ones came with a 3D mount (ball mount like on a tripod for a camera) but they are now being supplied again with the old mount which stays better positioned on the handlebar when encountering bumps in the road.

I've not had time to put up pics on my site to compare, just text: http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/te...fkapping/Philips_LED_bike_light/index_en.html

Last edited: