Did I get a fake Surefire L1?

carrot

Flashaholic
Anyone know of a way to get L1's to tailstand? Is there a shroud out there that works?
Rothrandir at Valiant Concepts makes tail shrouds for the L1. Valiant Concepts machines many of the parts used in Malkoff lights and light engines. You are looking for the "A-series" tail shroud. http://www.jsburlys.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=valiantconceptsflashlightparts

OregonShooter also made delrin tail shrouds but I haven't seen him around here for ages.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I have 3 10/65 L1s, but if they are all fake, there is no telling what is real :shakehead
Welcome to the desert ... of the real. (two points if you can guess the movie :) )

When you are trying to buy merchadise on EBAY, and if the price is much lesser than lets say, Battery Junction or BrightGuy, I would be suspect!
So I guess I'll have to take a second look at my SureFire C3 that I scored for $67 (including shipping) on eBay, LOL. :p

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only Surefire copy I've seen was a very nasty, cheapo U2 clone. I don't know why anybody would bother copying basic models like the C2 or L1.

jollyrogr

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the desert ... of the real. (two points if you can guess the movie :) )

the Matrix

2e2o7qd.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
The color mismatch is one of the things that indicates to me that it is real! :) Just about all of my old school SF lights have mismatched colors... I actually like it, but I guess it is an acquired taste.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
I feel kind of bad. I preemptively sent out a somewhat angry email to the guy who sold me the light. Just inquiring as to where he had got it. He said an Army PX store. I have since apologized. Its still a pretty crappy SF. Maybe something will happen to it and they'll replace it anyways. Is there any better CS than SF? its insane how responsive they have been to every inquiry or problem I have had. The only one issue being when I sent them my 6px which had the widely known bump switch mode problem and they had it for a month, and sent it back to me and it had the exact same problem if not more sensitive. But they did throw two free SF batteries in there so that was a plus. I cant believe that light with that problem is now $115. It does put out a good beam though.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF usually gets it right and fast in the CS dept.. Every once in a while, you'll get the wrong person and you realize they're there just filling a position, but when you get the right person, they give you the hook-up. If he got it at the PX, it's definitely real, as AAFES get's there stock directly from SF. I got lucky when I was in Iraq, and they were closing one of the BX/PX's and they had a ton of SF's on sale, some as low as 45% of MSRP (and some had that crappy etching...maybe an effect from long stoage in the heat?)