• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

different ways to use a nexgen sandwich

Xero

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
snake said:
hello everyone
the nexgen650 sandwich in the shop is TX1J .. will J-bin too low for li-ion ?

I want to cut the AA-minimag to 1AA lenght to run with 14500

[/ QUOTE ]

that's actually what I want to do, but I have a NG500 with an L-bin so most likely I'll be able to pull it off as long as the battery isn't fully charged. See srue's post above listing the voltages and bins. As long as the 14500 isn't putting out a higher voltage then your luxeon's bin you should be ok, but J is well, cutting it a bit too close for a 14500. They're 3.6V but from what i've read in threads about them, they come off the charger at around 4.1V, so I'd say it's a risk to pop a freshly charged 14500 in with a J bin. It's probably less of a risk with my L bin, and even less so with anything higher than that...So far I'm pretty happy with the standard 2AA setup but one of these days I'll get around to trying to get my hands on a mini-mini-mag and a 14500.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a general rule, if you did it with a BadBoy, you can do it with the NexGen.

The NexGen is more forgiving in situations wherein the Vin exceeds the Vf. In this situation, the NexGen will handle a .6v overhead. What this means is that you are typically safe runing a K Vf Lux III with a li-ion and a NexGen.

With the J Vf Lux III, it would be greatly dependent upon the actual Vf of you luxeon. To be safe, I wouldn't run a J Vf Lux III on a li-ion with a NexGen unless the converter were biased for 700mA or more. At 700mA or more, the voltage sag of the battery under load, will allow for the use of a li-ion.

Of course, I'm speaking in general terms. YMMV and proceed at your own risk.

snake

Enlightened
Thanks for advice..
seem the concludion is L-K bin is safe, J seems risky.
anyway the last Nexgen sandwich has gone.. so may be cut the maglite shorter to run a Madmax lite with CR2