Digital Calipers & Pitch Guages

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
John,
Excellent advise ^^^^. I would only add a couple of comments on design that might help.

It is important to decide right away if the light design will be 'stand alone' or if you will be mixing and matching components from another maker.

The Aleph system would be an example of the later.

Now a designer building a custom, might decide to use 24 or 32 TPI for convenience. Both these TPI's are a multiple of most American lead screws so it simplifies threading.

However it would be no use if the battery tube ( example ) was required to mate with another light with 20 TPI treads. The outside diameters can be the same in both instances, but they will not thread together.

As was mentioned above, there are different classes of fit and if a custom light must mate with something else,then send the example of the 'something else' to the machinist so everything fits.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
I'm a-tryin' to do a custom, so it's not that important that it matches with anything else; I'm just trying to get an idea of what a few of my lights are as far as threading.

The design won't be Aleph-compatible :eek:oo:, so matching threading with another light isn't important - I just want to better understand how different-sized threading affects the feel of turning a head or tail in your hand.

Thanks!
john

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
mini006.jpg

These cost around $20.00 and are available in SAE and Metric.
Quickly tells you the TPI of any thread.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Thanks Anglepoise! I saw that tool somehere on the web, and didn't understand exactly how it worked... now, after looking at it for more than two seconds, it makes perfect sense, (duh) and :stupid:
john

Latest posts