Dissasmbling arc Ls-H to apply glow paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpeg

Enlightened
OK, Roth this may be overkill, but I got impatient and went with the optic. I drilled two vertical holes in the fraen and dropped in two tritium glow vials. I glued them into place with clear epoxy. I then I painted the delrin ring with clear epoxy and sprinkled it with turquoise glow powder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
So it glows without charge for 10 years, and if it does get some UV radiation, then it REALLY glows... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Nice trick Roth, thanks... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

jpeg

Enlightened
Well, if I must... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif
RedLS_01.jpg

OK, here it is on the counter under normal lighting conditions.

RedLS_03a.jpg

Now it is pitch black. I brought the brightness up in this image so you could see the LS shape. The entire optic is very visible, but in real life, the dots don't glow as bright as they seem here...

RedLS_03.jpg

This is the optic after a 10 second exposure to an Inova X5 UV. The blue in the background is the glow tube on my keychain.

RedLS_04.jpg

Here is a beamshot compared to a LSH-P. Obviously the red one is the mod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif This really isn't a fair comparison because I'm using a fraen optic, but then, I also drilled and marred the s**t out of it, so it's still quite impressive. This is a 1w mod, I didn't have to change the circuitry. I just swapped LED's. The difference in brightness is due to the fact that red LED's (or generally any color) is brighter than an equally powered white. (THe white and yellow areas in the red beam are camera artifacts. I don't think it can display "really really bright red". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Hope you enjoyed the show!
-J

djpark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Ty_Bower said:
I just cracked open my LSH-S. I tried the freezer trick.

I think it cracked loose on the first try, but there was enough loctite jammed in the threads that it was a real b**** to get out. I had to work it back and forth quite a few times before the stuff finally broke up. Even the circuit board didn't want to just drop right out easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something new learnt from you.

I just opened my LSH-P to replace the optic. Among all suggestd, the only thing worked for me was to grind off one part of the ring and force it with needle nosed plier. With limited tools, I couldn't drill till it broke, but somewhat weaker.

When it started moving, I pulled off the ring by breaking. No need to turn all the way out.

The biggest problem I had (actually have) is to align the optic. I like the beam of Fraen, but I could never be able to make the round hot spot and the square pointing on the same spot even how I tried.

I would appreciate any suggestion?

-- DJP

stefx

Newly Enlightened
I replaced the LD emitter with Fraen LP optics and a SY0L Luxeon III (which has a great tint, exactly like daylight at a cloudy day, and it's brighter than a Q3 LD).

The retaining ring wasn't glued, so i was able to remove it with two small screwdrivers. The plastic nose of the Fraen LP had to be filed down, otherwise the nylon retaining nut doesn't fit and the whole flashlight isn't waterproof anymore.

Centering was easy. I didn't screw the PCB retaining ring down too hard, so i was able to shift the whole PCB around by applying side force to the positive contact.

Stefan

jpeg

Enlightened
DOH! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I didn't think of that, I filed down the delrin ring to fit the fraen...

bhds

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
stefx said:
The plastic nose of the Fraen LP had to be filed down, otherwise the nylon retaining nut doesn't fit and the whole flashlight isn't waterproof anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. Your plastic retaining ring didnt have a notch cut for the "nose" of the optic? All of the ones I have disassembled had a notch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

jpeg

Enlightened
Thanks Roth! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
Ahh, my first real mod.
This is what being a flashaholic is all about.
I get a stupid grin now whenever I'm holding my keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.