DIY Omnivore Flashlights for Storm prep and Bugging Out.

BloodLust

Enlightened
Good, informative thread as usual, WW.

I have a similar setup.
Goal Zero Nomad 7 solar panel, Guide 10+ to charge 4xAA, Olight UC for both li-ion & ni-mh, Xtar MC1 for li-ion. Xtar XP1 as backup for li-ion & ni-mh charging.
Energizer 1x AA light, UCO Leschi 1xAA light/lantern.
Fenix HL21 with Princeton Tec pilot backup on the headband.
Fenix HL05 clipped to the pack strap (Button cells are cheap here and I can get a 2pk Energizer for $1.25. Plus they don't leak.)
Lithium primaries, Eneloops, 2016's for the PT and Fenix.

I should get more AA/14500 lights. I only have 1 in stainless steel and Nichia219C, tail switch, plus the clip is screwed in. It starts on L-M-H with no memory.
I haven't found an AA/14500 with an interface that I like. On the shortlist is the Reylight Pineapple.

Also in the kit are a USB fan, a USB light, and a slim power bank. I can run the fan and light off the Guide10+ and the power bank.

I really should get a USB meter to properly test the gear and which setup works best.

Since you tested the F1 and didn't like it, I'll pick up a Liitokala Lii100 instead. Similar features and price. Have to test it when I get that and the meter.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Woods Walker, I'd like to hear more detail about how the F2 failed in solar charging conditions. I had high hopes for that one.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
The hard parts are figuring the max & min voltages for a given light, and finding the various adapter sleeves & dummie cells & dummies to adapt for length.. I've not found a site selling a variety of adapters all in one place.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Hey Woods Walker, I'd like to hear more detail about how the F2 failed in solar charging conditions. I had high hopes for that one.

I will be posting the review though did a video already. The literature says it will store power below 2.5 watts but the indicators leds might not function right. However what it does is go off line easily. Maybe one of the most prone to crashing powerbank/chargers I have tested with less stable input aka solar. If the reduction lasts a minute or so the F2 goes totally off line. Dead as a box of rocks. It then needs to be physically disconnected and plugged back in. So totally not solar compatible. On the pro side the battery sharing functions do work. It really is 2 times 1A for a total of 2A. The USB 3.0 seems to offer advantages near as I can tell. Works very well as a power bank. The pros aside don't buy the F2 for solar charging.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks For clarifying. I'll go with the F1, might try parallel charging 2x 18650 with it. 1 Amp is fine, I don't really need 2 amp charging for anything in the long duration-light weight department.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi WW!
Were you able to test an Olight UC magnetic Li-ion/Ni-mh charger with solar too?

I'm curious too, especially about the lowest watts, worst light conditions that it'll start trickle charging in.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

Hi WW!
Were you able to test an Olight UC magnetic Li-ion/Ni-mh charger with solar too?

Yes. I finished the USB solar battery charging video. Going to post a
thread in a few days. Much to my suprise after multiple tests in various conditions
the Olight UC was one of my picks. The reason being it showed no charge errors. Not the fastest
but held .75A when other 1A chargers defaulted to .5A. Also it pulsed charged AA/AAA at .25A which IMHO is darn near perfect to solar charge NIMH. Unless I am miss reading something it appears early concerns by some
about a high Amperage for AA was totally unfounded. It totally charges NIMH differently than Lithium ion. Some may have slight issues with smaller Lithium ion at that rate but not worried. So
for 16340 it would be one of the faster chargers as they all default to
.5A. For solar I want the job done ASAP though there are limits.

Woods Walker

I just to clearify one thing. I liked the F1 which is solar compatible but found the F2 to not be solar compatible.

BloodLust

Enlightened
Thanks! Good to know that the Olight held up well. Planning to get a couple more.
Might pick up an F1 bared on your tests. Though I'm leaning towards the Liitokala Lii 100.
Hopefully I'll be able to test it when I get a USB meter.

Last edited: