Do you get a good feeling when you give away nice lights to people?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Good feeling? . . . Yes!

Though I no longer really bother giving away lights to family and friends anymore. They're not very appreciative. I just wait for the yearly Christmas Giveaway on CPF and donate lights to like-minded folks then.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anything I give away makes me feel good when I know it's used well and appreciated. I've given my brother a few lights of which he seems to use them all in one way or another around the house. One in particular, a SF P6 with a M61wll drop in, he pretty much carries daily. It's his emergency light for work, travel light, and backpacking light. I like knowing it's getting good use, and after all that's why I buy them, to be used. A few years ago I brought a new laptop so I gave my desktop computer to a co-worker who had young kids figuring they could use it, it was still relatively new and quite usable. Many months later I asked him how it was running and he told me he never got around to hooking it up. That annoyed me.

Ishango

Enlightened
I do. For instance I gave my parents each a Fenix E11, which they use on holidays, during nighttime walks with the dog or my mother uses it when she's home alone. I've given my girlfriend some nice 1 x AAA lights which she always carries around with her (mostly her E05 on her keys, but sometimes also a E01, Preon 0 and/or eGear Pico). I also gave a Olight T10 to my cousin who works as a LEO and has to provide for a light of his own if he wants to carry it on his belt (they have incan Mag 3D's available in the office or van). Each of these lights was appreciated. I also gave some older lights to several friends who also use and appreciate them.

Tiresius

Enlightened
I thought I did when I was working and buying quality lights. When I gave some of the best lights I had away, I felt good....Until they lose it and pretend it's just another tool and I can get them another one. The nerves...

The answer to your topic sentence is "NO." Some folks here never understand quality lights until they have to buy it themselves.

mgscheue

Newly Enlightened
I gave a friend a Thrunite T10 for Christmas. He thanked me but didn't seem terribly interested at the time. He emailed me a few days later after he tried it and said "Wow, that thing is bright!" and asked me questions about batteries.

My wife really likes the E01 I gave her, too.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my gf an ITP A3 upgraded, and she said "I don't want it." .... so now my brother is now a proud new owner of an ITP A3 upgraded. lol.

Yeah, I got the same response when I gave an unused Thrunite Ti to a friend, and she was completely unenthusiastic about being given a light. It wasnt a birthday or Christmas present either, it was just one of those "here's a light" gifts, so it wasnt as if it was a disappointing birthday or Christmas gift, but she just said she'd put it in her car for whenever it may come in handy. Its times like that I wish I wouldve kept it and given it to someone else!

1pt21

Enlightened
I love giving away lights, just because I'm the 'weird' person in the family with a flashlight hobby...

The best to give away to non-flashoholics (IMHO) are 1xaa or 1xaaa that run off alkalines of course..... (no li-ion and NO rechargeables to worry about burning down the house).

This last holiday season, the ThruNite Ti's were an absolute hit!

Can't go wrong with the simple mode-switching, cheap cost, run-time, excellent build quality AND running on (off-the-shelf) 1xaaa...

I love my hobby :candle:

My family seems to as well, especially after Sandy!

CouldUseALight

Newly Enlightened
I gave a ZebraLight SC600 to a non-flashaholic family member and it's been a hit. The UI on that light is so good it's hard to argue. :thumbsup:

Somewhat ashamed to admit, the imperfect machining bugged me. The more I thought about it, the less I wished I knew what it cost. :thinking:

So I gave it away to someone who doesn't know! :twothumbs

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gave a flashlight (Solarforce L2 w/ R2 Drop-in) to my brother-in-law, who works in the marine industry & also enjoys fishing.
The 1st thing he said after an outing with the light was "WOW, this small thing is bright!"
He also commented how his friends & colleagues were so impressed with his new toy. :twothumbs

And after hearing this, my father-in-law who is a LEO, started asking about my flashlights.
He was very interested to purchase one from me because the one that he was issued wasn't anywhere near the one I gave my brother in law.
Knowing that he will make good use of the flashlight, I gave 1 full set (Flashlight, drop-in, batteries & charger) to him as well.
Needless to say, he came back to tell me how this L2 put his issued flashlight to shame.

Soooo YES, I do get the good feeling. But only if I know they appreciate them.

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
I think it's great to get stocking stuffers of budget lights like the flood to throw <$13 lights and give them out as there is little risk and they're almost always universally well received and use easily found batteries (1AA, 3AAA). It's with these ive gotten the most feedback of, "wow, that little guy packs some punch/sure is handy", and that is definitely nice and the point of giving them away.
Ive also given away a light or two that my collection has made outdated with the advance of LED's over the years, getting 400+ lumens isnt what it was 4 years ago but only if I think they have some shot of getting use.
That said, I think most people I know, would think getting or buying a light that costs over $100 was bordering on crazy.

PANGES

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I got the same response when I gave an unused Thrunite Ti to a friend, and she was completely unenthusiastic about being given a light. It wasnt a birthday or Christmas present either, it was just one of those "here's a light" gifts, so it wasnt as if it was a disappointing birthday or Christmas gift, but she just said she'd put it in her car for whenever it may come in handy. Its times like that I wish I wouldve kept it and given it to someone else!

Yeah. I know how that feels, and if someone hints that they don't want a gift I'm giving, then I instantly take it back. I gave my mom a decent set of headphones (Sennheiser HD25 1-ii) a couple months ago and i asked "how do you like them so far?" and she replied "oh... I haven't opened it yet." =/

I was going to give her an ITP A3 EOS Upgraded to put on her keychain also, but she already said she didn't want a new flashlight, because she's happy enough using her phone for light. When I showed my dad my Fenix PD32UE he seemed really amused.... until I told him the price... He's hard to persuade. He was really reluctant to receive the earphones I got him for his birthday last year too, especially since my mom accidentally leaked to him that they were $400 earphones, but he always uses them, so I'm happy. lol.

Last edited:

gradio

Newly Enlightened
New at all this and overwhelmed with what's available.
Recent buys replacing several of my older lights I'm liking the idea of buying quality lights for some family members that I think would appreciate them, but I have a lot to learn.
Its usually difficult throwing in an odd unexpected gift come x-mas - now a decent flashlight for a few I think will happen come next round. Already a good feeling just thinking about it, but have to take care of my flashlight needs first:naughty: .... well a couple weeks ago I gave the wife a LD12 (also have one for myself) and I can tell she likes it as she has used it a few times I and keeps it with her. Her now dead D cell mag light that she kept in her SUV is no more and she can carry the LD12 in her purse too.
So yup, I think a few at the end of year will go as extra gifts and I have plenty of time to plan who and what make/models - me first to myself and I know I'll feel good as far as that goes.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I was going to give her an ITP A3 EOS Upgraded to put on her keychain also, but she already said she didn't want a new flashlight, because she's happy enough using her phone for light. When I showed my dad my Fenix PD32UE he seemed really amused.... until I told him the price... He's hard to persuade. He was really reluctant to receive the earphones I got him for his birthday last year too, especially since my mom accidentally leaked to him that they were $400 earphones, but he always uses them, so I'm happy. lol.

That's something I never understood . . . How a person all of a sudden doesn't like a gift simply based on price.

And, it goes both ways. A nice pen that looks expensive. Guy receiving it later finds out that it's $30 instead of $300. Now all of a sudden hates the pen. Or, they get something nice and later learn it's even more expensive than they thought it was. If it's a gift from a loved one and you know they can afford it, so what??

Just never understood the mentality behind no longer liking a gift, just based on price.

PANGES

Newly Enlightened
That's something I never understood . . . How a person all of a sudden doesn't like a gift simply based on price.

And, it goes both ways. A nice pen that looks expensive. Guy receiving it later finds out that it's $30 instead of $300. Now all of a sudden hates the pen. Or, they get something nice and later learn it's even more expensive than they thought it was. If it's a gift from a loved one and you know they can afford it, so what??

Just never understood the mentality behind no longer liking a gift, just based on price.

I don't really get it either, but I think it's a matter of how the person values the item. For example, my girlfriend and I like to treat ourselves to a nice dinner from time to time for occasions such as anniversary. We'll spend ~$200 or so on a dinner and are quite happy, but I've talked with people who think that's crazy and reply with something like "I would never spend more than $10 on food." Same goes for anything really. For cars, I like particular cars, and I like modifying cars. People see it as a waste of money, but I see it as an investment towards my happiness. Flashlights, headphones, etc are really no different. It just sucks when people are like that when you try to buy them something you believe is of good value (ie: a $70 light, or $400 headphones.)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I don't really get it either, but I think it's a matter of how the person values the item. For example, my girlfriend and I like to treat ourselves to a nice dinner from time to time for occasions such as anniversary. We'll spend ~$200 or so on a dinner and are quite happy, but I've talked with people who think that's crazy and reply with something like "I would never spend more than $10 on food." Same goes for anything really. For cars, I like particular cars, and I like modifying cars. People see it as a waste of money, but I see it as an investment towards my happiness. Flashlights, headphones, etc are really no different. It just sucks when people are like that when you try to buy them something you believe is of good value (ie: a $70 light, or $400 headphones.)

For many, there's a difference if they're spending their own money. And I get that. $200 for a special dinner . . . Some would do the same. Others might spend twice as much. Some would feel uncomfortable though. But if it's a gift given by a loved one, you know they can afford it, and it's something you know you'd enjoy; then why not.

I'm into watches as well as lights. I'd love it if I got a Bremont Solo as a gift from a certain someone. Love the clean look of that watch and the tastefully artistic look of the case. But at over $4,000 for a watch with a common ETA movement inside, from a company that has only been around since 2002 (started putting out watches in 2007); I'd never spend my own money on one. That's enough for a vintage Rolex in, not mint, but good condition. Plus, it would hold its value better than a Bremont. Still, if I got a Solo from that certain someone whom I know can easily afford it and doesn't expect a huge favor in return; I'd happily wear it every day. My own money? . . . I can get a Mido Multifort with a somewhat similar dial set-up, a slightly lesser grade of the very same exact ETA movement, and at $800 instead of $4,000. Plus, while it's tough getting any discount on the Bremont, there's plenty of wiggle room on the Mido. So realistically quite a bit less than $800. On top of that, Mido has been around since 1918 and has a real history as a brand. Not some slick new kid on the block that decided to start off its pricing at a level that took Rolex decades to reach.

When it's your own money, it's understandable to draw limits. But when it's a gift, knowing it's from a loved one and won't cause them a financial burden, then I don't get it. Best to say "Thank You," take the gift, and enjoy the heck out of it! :)

Last edited:

PANGES

Newly Enlightened
For many, there's a difference if they're spending their own money. And I get that. $200 for a special dinner . . . Some would do the same. Others might spend twice as much. Some would feel uncomfortable though. But if it's a gift given by a loved one, you know they can afford it, and it's something you know you'd enjoy; then why not.

I'm into watches as well as lights. I'd love it if I got a Bremont Solo as a gift from a certain someone. Love the clean look of that watch and the tastefully artistic look of the case. But at over $4,000 for a watch with a common ETA movement inside, from a company that has only been around since 2002 (started putting out watches in 2007); I'd never spend my own money on one. That's enough for a vintage Rolex in, not mint, but good condition. Plus, it would hold its value better than a Bremont. Still, if I got a Solo from that certain someone whom I know can easily afford it and doesn't expect a huge favor in return; I'd happily wear it every day. My own money? . . . I can get a Mido Multifort with a somewhat similar dial set-up, a slightly lesser grade of the very same exact ETA movement, and at $800 instead of $4,000. Plus, while it's tough getting any discount on the Bremont, there's plenty of wiggle room on the Mido. So realistically quite a bit less than $800.

When it's your own money, it's understandable to draw limits. But when it's a gift, knowing it's from a loved one and won't cause them a financial burden, then I don't get it. Best to say "Thank You," take the gift, and enjoy the heck out of it! :)

Maybe if they feel that they wouldn't spend their own money on something (ie: a $4,000 watch), they'd feel guilt accepting a $4,000 watch from someone else, despite them being financially burdened or not. Honestly, I don't know. I happily accept gifts either way. I find it disrespectful to a refuse a gift. :D

On a side note: Since you bring up spending money on yourself, and spending it on other people. I tend to be quite the cheapskate when I buy myself things, versus buying others things. I'll want a certain xbox game, or flashlight, or whatever, and will sit and stare at it for months before I decide to buy (often times not even buying.) But when someone in my family wants something, I don't really hesitate to buy it for them. It's weird. lol.

Last edited:

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
I gave a ITP A3 EOS Upgraded to my mother maybe two years ago (pretty sure she likes it, still on her keychain when i see her) when i upgraded to 4 7's Q123, and am now looking to give that to someone since i got the olight s10, wish it was easier to decide who would actually use and like lights. I guess since its been replaced its not a big deal, but we kind of all want our "old" lights to go to use right. maybe its best to give away without expectation, but seems natural for a person to want their "gift" enjoyed and well received.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is one of the best threads! People sharing real, meaningful, learneable experiences. Not often do you see this.

I had varied experiences like many here. Over the years I have given away dozens of flashlights as gifts. And the reception, and feelings of gratitude, have been all over the place.

On the worst side of the spectrum, I gave really good lights to one person. But never got the feeling that they were appreciated or used. Same deal with another person, not even a thank you or acknowledgment.

Lesson, learn who these people are and do not give them flashlights as gifts. Obvious, I suppose, but maybe a less obvious lesson is that this sort of person needs to be also carefully handled regarding other types of gifts! (I know some are thinking, so why give them anything?! But sometimes you have obligations...).

At the middle of the spectrum, there are people who use and appreciate the flashlights, but only temporarily and over time always lose the flashlights. OK, I get it, so the lesson here is not to stop giving them flashlights, necessarily, but give them cheaper/disposable types of flashlights. It's not that they don't need them, they are just not the sort of people who pay a lot of attention to and cherish their possessions in general.

Then you have people who are again difficult to please, but over time are trainable. For instance I had success with keychain 1xAAA type of flashlights that will go with them because they have to carry their car and house keys so the flashlight sort of carries over automatically. These people over time can see the uses of flashlights and learn to use them, since they always have them with them why not use them when there is a need?

The rarest type of person is one who really appreciates good things, takes the time to learn about them, understands and even shares your enthusiasm. I am still waiting to meet such a person.

PANGES

Newly Enlightened
The rarest type of person is one who really appreciates good things, takes the time to learn about them, understands and even shares your enthusiasm. I am still waiting to meet such a person.

Buy me an EagleTac D25C. I can be that person! :p

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

You must live in either Manhattan, Chicago or San Francisco, if you are paying $200 for a nice meal out for just 2 people. Now I can understand how it could be that much if you ordered a high priced bottle of wine($120+), but if the majority of that $200 is for the meal, and not drinks, then its got to be one of those above listed cities, or a similar city with a very high cost of living.

We have several 4-5 star restaurants and swanky country inns in our area, but you'd be hard pressed to pay more than $30-$45 for an entree with vegetables and bread around here, plus extra for hors d'oeuvres. Usually the price for a really good meal around this region is in the neighborhood of $16-$34 on average for an entree. Add hors d'oeuvres and you're looking at less than $100 for two, including 2 glasses of wine.

However, having eaten in Manhattan, often menu items at restaurants there are sold a la carte, so by the time you'd paid for each and every separate food item, it wouldnt be hard to imagine spending near $200 and that may not include wine if you choose really pricey items!

Fortunately I dont drink any alcohol anymore, not because of a past alcohol problem per se, but because it just makes me tired, so I save some money there, although I think its totally ridiculous how many restaurants now charge as much as $3-$4 for an iced tea!

Anyway, there have been times where I would have been better served buying a friend a dinner out vs. a flashlight, because at least one person I know probably wouldve appreciated it more(perish the thought!)