Do you have a magicJack / is it gimick - or Good ?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife's sister in the Philippines has one. She's not too happy with it, though, because it seems to drop a lot of calls. I think, though, that's because she doesn't have a very fast broadband connection. We were seriously considering to get Ooma, which is similar, but instead of plugging into the computer, it plugs into the router, so your computer doesn't even have to be on. Also, for a one time fee of $40, they'll transfer your old home phone number. Other than that, it's free. It does, however, cost more than the Magic Jack. I learned, however, that it requires (or is highly recommended) that you have a down speed of 1500kbs and we don't. Ours is between 1200 and 1300. Not only that, but I think our DSL provider does some serious down throttling of our internet connection, because it often drops to nothing and then comes back in a few seconds, which would probably mean a lot of lost calls if we had the Ooma. If we get a better broadband line in the future, though, we'll probably go with the Ooma. Fry's has an Ooma line set up so customers can make free calls to anywhere in the US. I tried it and the line was very clear, just like a regular phone (of course, Fry's probably has a really high speed connection). The only thing different was the "dial tone." There was a tone with music behind it. It was actually somewhat similar to a regular phone's dial tone, but obviously different.

Last edited:

gorn

Enlightened
I've had a magic jack for about a year. It works great. I moved out of an area code that I lived in for 50 years. When I activated the magic jack I used the old area code so friends and family didn't have a toll charge. I use the forwarding of the mj number to my new home number and it works flawlessly. I have given one to both my kids and a sister in law. Other than needing a good high speed connection it is well worth the money.