Do you Spy?

bla2000

Enlightened

With the light turned off, I will drain a pair of 123's in I'm guessing 6-8 week

According to this the original 005 should draw 0.11mA and the upgraded 5.9uA. If yours was upgraded but is drawing 360uA then it is faulty. If you contact Data then he should be able to flash your board to fix it.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which McGizmo is that?^ I'd imagine there is no question of durability with that light!

Unless I'm mistaken, that, sir, is the awesome McGizmo Haiku. Not certain which version, but the body is unmistakable. And yes - it is truly bulletproof. Oh, as a matter of interest - Don Mcleish, the maker of the awesome McGizmo lights, is listed among the owners of Spy 007s. He was, in fact, an early adopter...

:thumbsup:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless I'm mistaken, that, sir, is the awesome McGizmo Haiku. Not certain which version, but the body is unmistakable. And yes - it is truly bulletproof. Oh, as a matter of interest - Don Mcleish, the maker of the awesome McGizmo lights, is listed among the owners of Spy 007s. He was, in fact, an early adopter...

:thumbsup:

I've seen many pics of the Haiku, but something about that light looked slightly different. Maybe its a Haiku with some custom external design.

donn_

Flashaholic
I had a 007 Spy for several months. I traded a Ti Lion Cub for it in the fall of '08 and bought an AOTH Holester in Sting Ray for it. I sold the set in the fall of '09. Quite a nice light, but too big to EDC, for me.

bla2000

Enlightened
According to this the original 005 should draw 0.11mA and the upgraded 5.9uA. If yours was upgraded but is drawing 360uA then it is faulty. If you contact Data then he should be able to flash your board to fix it.

I tested my 007 and 005. I have a faulty 005 with parasitic drain because it measures 360uA compared with my 007s 6uA. I did never noticed the difference because I use the often and have RCR123s in both.

Last edited:

notsofast

Enlightened
$1400 for a flashlight is the epitome of price gouging in my humble opinion.

leaving his son a large, mostly automated CNC-filled machine shop he said $400 tops. Even at that, he said he'd make a mint if they sold fairly well! Not to mention the extra $395 for a little checkering and a finish that, at least in pictures, doesn't look that much different from the basic model.

So if the person you consulted with had to pay for his machining equipment, his idea on cost of each light would likely be much higher by the time he amortized his overhead. The $300 for a computer that will do so much more would be $3000 to $10,000 each if they sold a few hundred instead of millions.

The tires for the Veyron had to be invented, there wasn't a rubber compound that could deal with the heat and stress that a 5,000lb car capable of 0 to 60 in under 3 seconds and reaching a speed of over 260mph. And guess what they ain't gonna cost $2500, more like tens of thousands of dollars if not $100,000+ and are good for only a few thousand miles. Is the tire company price gouging? They will only sell a few hundred of them. And they are in business to make money not give away their time and resources. Compared to what went to the rest of the car the tires are silly!

Dave deserves to make a profit as does anyone who puts their soul into such an innovative item. Is he feeding his family and paying the bills with it? I can't say, I don't know him. I do feel it is highly unlikely though.

Your apologetic post shows you meant no harm, I didn't read any malice into it. However the next time you post how you feel about something somewhere take in all the factors and give reality a look-see...price gouging?...come on.

gunga

Flashaholic
Yep, I don't even own a Spy, and I found the post a bit insulting/trolling.

At least you realized you overstepped and calmed down...
I love the look of these, but I can't justify the expense. Maybe someday. I just got my first McGizmo not long ago, perhaps a spy is down the pipe somewhere?

stoli67

Enlightened
Ah the natural progression

Maglite to Fenix/quark to surefire to HDS to mcGizmo/JHanko/Steve Ku to Spy ......

I am sure that I have missed afew but you get the idea .... It is inevitable ! :)

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

ahh, there's an update available?

Well that I did not know!

It01Firefox

Newly Enlightened
Well I didn't before but I sure do now!

spy0071.jpg

spy0072.jpg

Number 524 just found its way to me.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all, thanks to all for keeping this thread going. This flashlight, but more so, this builder both deserve recognition. CPF is a great community!:thumbsup:

Ah the natural progression

Maglite to Fenix/quark to surefire to HDS to mcGizmo/JHanko/Steve Ku to Spy ......

I am sure that I have missed afew but you get the idea .... It is inevitable ! :)

:naughty:

Well I didn't before but I sure do now!

Number 524 just found its way to me.

Great! Congratulations! Please share your thoughts...

It01Firefox

Newly Enlightened
Very nice!!

Can I ask more info on that beautiful snug fitting leather case please?

Mohan

Well of course you can, unfortunately I don't have much info on it, yet, since I just recieved it and I didn't even know that it was included with the Spy I just bought. But I'll ask the seller for more info and get back to you.

I think it looks a lot like an AOTH holster though.

EDIT: I just heard back from the original owner, he built the holster himself. I have to say it's real nice, holds the light very well but it's still easy to remove especially with the little lanyard on there.

Last edited:

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
@It01Firefox, that holster 007 combo is very nice!

Dan this thread is the most reading I have ever done on the 007 and it was interesting. A very versatile light indeed. Dare I say, nearly perfect? I thought I had seen somewhere in the past that these are not very resistant to moisture? Is this true? I have zero want for any lights right now but you have seriously stoked my curiosity with this one. BTW your still toting that XM-18? :cool: After a long hiatus I just put another of the same variant back into my pocket. Missed it! :p

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dan this thread is the most reading I have ever done on the 007 and it was interesting. A very versatile light indeed. Dare I say, nearly perfect? I thought I had seen somewhere in the past that these are not very resistant to moisture? Is this true? I have zero want for any lights right now but you have seriously stoked my curiosity with this one. BTW your still toting that XM-18? :cool: After a long hiatus I just put another of the same variant back into my pocket. Missed it! :p

Yo, JWR!! I believe they are water resistant, but unless I'm mistaken, you don't want to go diving with one...:crazy:

Yes, it is near perfect. And that great little XM that you shared with me is still my main blade!! Same one - look at the "Ode" thread....you'll see photos of that beauty, too!

Glad you picked up another - they are awesome.

It01Firefox

Newly Enlightened

Thanks! I need to get a pic of it with better lighting since it looks black in the one above but is actually brown.
Plus I need to use my own camera, I didn't want to figure out how to work the one we have lying around to office here to get a good shot ;)

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen many pics of the Haiku, but something about that light looked slightly different. Maybe its a Haiku with some custom external design.

nope, it is a bone stock Haiku XML from Don. I did add a cheap black lanyard you can see near the tail

Last edited:

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you - I like the nice fit of the holster. Thanks for the info..

Well of course you can, unfortunately I don't have much info on it, yet, since I just recieved it and I didn't even know that it was included with the Spy I just bought. But I'll ask the seller for more info and get back to you.

I think it looks a lot like an AOTH holster though.

EDIT: I just heard back from the original owner, he built the holster himself. I have to say it's real nice, holds the light very well but it's still easy to remove especially with the little lanyard on there.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Time to bump this thread. My light usage tends to be fickle....but the Spy has held on. Oh sure, sometimes I'll carry a Muyshondt Aeon when I want lighter pocket bling...and on an early morning dog walk, I might supplement the Spy carry with a Malkoff Hound Dog or Wildcat - or maybe a Prometheus Alpha Blue - but 9 times out of 10 that Spy 007 XPG SWGG is in my pocket.

Any new members of the Spy 'club.?' Do you Spy?

;)

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
No matter what new light (Damascus Tri EDC, TNC 18350 host) I get and carry, my Tri-V is still always with me. It has picked up a lot of carry marks but no dings!

Still want a 007 but can't afford it with the swgg finish:(