Does anyone like Surefire anymore?

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know, loaded thread title. It is most certainly a great time to be a flashlight (torch) aficionado, with so many really solid offerings from seemingly hundreds of companies.

We understand that while Surefire has been outperformed by even modest companies, I still feel it is among the top in build quality. I will say they are tops in weapon-mounted lights, unless you have truckloads of $$ to afford Modlight :)

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today's toys.

Attachments

• 7A3D3D00-1F3E-4777-8D9C-ABF081D3437C.jpeg
    7A3D3D00-1F3E-4777-8D9C-ABF081D3437C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 108

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Still like SureFire. How could you not?
But I won't lie.... Liked them a lot more from back in the day when they were known for their Lego-ability. And when PK was not only part of the company, but part of the CPF community too. Sadly, those days are gone. Glad I bought every SF model I wanted. Nothing really excites me regarding their line-up now.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Still like SureFire. How could you not?
But I won't lie.... Liked them a lot more from back in the day when they were known for their Lego-ability. And when PK was not only part of the company, but part of the CPF community too. Sadly, those days are gone. Glad I bought every SF model I wanted. Nothing really excites me regarding their line-up now.
It's crazy because all I buy is older SF lights. I could never afford them back when they first came out.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
They don't make anything that really interests me these days. Still use my Luxeon U2 I've had forever. The dropped their variable selector ring and cradle charging lights, so I have an HDS and a Stinger 2020 now. Not really on board with the current aesthetics either.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It's crazy because all I buy is older SF lights. I could never afford them back when they first came out.
I remember back in the day, telling my Best friend (still friends today) that I was seriously considering buying a SureFire M6. Also telling him how much it was. He threatened to kick my backside if I spent $450 on a flashlight. I think he was only half joking.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
They don't make anything that really interests me these days. Still use my Luxeon U2 I've had forever. The dropped their variable selector ring and cradle charging lights, so I have an HDS and a Stinger 2020 now. Not really on board with the current aesthetics either.
U2 came out about a decade too early.
One now with 1,000 or 1,500 lumens on the last setting. Maybe 1.5 lumens as the first one. Six brightness levels using that selector ring. Assuming new ones didn't arrive DOA or quit working soon afterwards.... SureFire would have a major hit on their hands all over again.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
U2 came out about a decade too early.
One now with 1,000 or 1,500 lumens on the last setting. Maybe 1.5 lumens as the first one. Six brightness levels using that selector ring. Assuming new ones didn't arrive DOA or quit working soon afterwards.... SureFire would have a major hit on their hands all over again.
Dunno, selector ring lights don't seem to sell well. They had to blow out the 2010s UM2 at fire sale prices to get rid of those, and that was still a limited production run. I'd have kept mine if it didn't turn into a crazy collectible a couple years later. I also had a Titan with a really bad tint, and a UB3T I wasn't using enough to justify keeping.

If Surefire made a selector-ring E1 and a cradling-charging light that looked like a longer U2 I'd be onboard.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only own four of their lights:

G2 Nitrolon Incan
6P Incan
P3X Fury Tactical
Fury DFT

I've had to send both Furies in, the DFT multiple times, all for burnt out LEDs. No problems with the Incans, but then I haven't run them long enough to even burn through one bulb yet. They are "backups" to all my LED lights.

I have interest in a few more of their lights, but honestly, I'm a little twice shy after getting burned on the Furies. If I win the lottery or some other way come into a boatload of money, I may buy some more of their lights. Seriously, I think they are overpriced, probably because the bulk of their business is taxpayer funded, and the gubermint don't care what stuff costs, they just buy all the toys the doorkickers want. Me, I don't have taxpayers sending me money to buy my toys with.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ironically, there weren't many issues at all when SureFire first got into LEDs. Main one was the polymer heads on their G2 model didn't draw enough heat away from the LEDs. So a few of those burned out. Problem fixed very quickly by swapping over to aluminum bezels.

Not sure what's happening now. U2 models arriving DOA, or dying very soon afterwards. Plus that whole E-series tailcap scandal with the plastic innards breaking. But yeah, this issue with their Fury range seems a more serious one. Possibly heat sink being subpar. Hope they fix it soon.

boo5ted

Enlightened
Eh, they're ok lol. Some have been modded some are stock.

L2, L4, EDCL1-T, EDCL2-T are all original.

Both the E1L and E1B have been modded with a H17Fx driver, bored for 18350, and a Samsung LH351D 4k led.

The E1e has a Lumen Factory KL4 head with Nichia 319A 4k led.

Attachments

• 20230821_203816.jpg
    20230821_203816.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 20230821_203846.jpg
    20230821_203846.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 78

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
The classic surefires are my favorite lights, whether in stock incan form or with a malkoff device. I never had any back in the day so I am late to the party.

As far as new ones go yeah, I like them, but more selectively. I did just buy an x300 turbo and that thing is rockin'.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I like my surefires, as per my profile pic I have used my 6P Defender since 2006. Its a great light and has held the test of time. Now, do other companies like Elzetta, Streamlight, Cloud Defensive and such make lights that are just as tough as nails but also put out way more lumens? Sure they do. I guess, I have used Surefire for so long and their customer service has been so nice, I havent went away. Am I going to buy anything new? Sure, I got a fury DFT that I am curious if it would hold up as well. Only time will tell.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my surefires, as per my profile pic I have used my 6P Defender since 2006. Its a great light and has held the test of time. Now, do other companies like Elzetta, Streamlight, Cloud Defensive and such make lights that are just as tough as nails but also put out way more lumens? Sure they do. I guess, I have used Surefire for so long and their customer service has been so nice, I havent went away. Am I going to buy anything new? Sure, I got a fury DFT that I am curious if it would hold up as well. Only time will tell.
Prepare to be "Furious". :crackup::poof:

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I should thin out how many flashlights I have, I dont use many of them and they sit in a drawer. lol Mostly surefires, cause well there are brighter options.