• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Don

Dan FO

Enlightened
Did you ever pick up the Boye BDC knife for your salt water excursions?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
No and not familiar with it to my recollection. :thinking:

I have a Spyderco strapped on the deck bag on my surfski and it is showing some rust bloom. The other knife I have that I used to put in the deck bag and now only take out when I SCUBA is a Mission Ti folder which may be weak in terms of blade sharpness and edge holding but it is impervious to the elements and requires zero attention or maintenance.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Thanks. I knew the name sounded familiar but danged if I could place it. I took a look again and it does look like a good mariner's tool. It certainly would require some care though with the 304 stainless steel which is certain to rust some with the poor care I give these tools! :eek: Titanium is much better suited to my lack of care.

carrot

Flashaholic
Don you would probably be most interested in the Spyderco Salt folders -- they will not rust, period. They are not Ti but H1 cannot rust. They also hold an edge better than Ti.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Carrot,
Jurrphaas (hope I spelled it right) has provided me with some Spyderco knives and the fixed blade version that is on my deck bag is H1. It appears that the rust bloom that is present is likely just surface rust and more cosmetic than anything else. Perhaps it is rust of particles present on the surface and not the parent material itself. The edge does not look compromised at all. I understand that this knife has a better edge that will hold better than the Ti and that is why it is on the deck bag and why I retired the Ti folder. I should point out that in a normal course of water activities, I have no use or need for a knife and have never needed to use one in the past. It is a question of being prepared for the unexpected.

portagee slim

Newly Enlightened
Mr. Mcgizmo,
I also live on the coast, and my Boye is my constant companion. I have NO corrosion issues. Sharpens up easily, too. And, when I sprung the clip, Mr. Boye took great care of me. Worth looking into, Mr. McGizmo.

Drew

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Dan Fo,
The bloom is spread over most of the blade and much seems that it will wipe off with little effort. I haven't bothered trying to clean it. The ground portions of the blade seem clear of it as I recall and I don't think there was any obvious pitting. It may all be superficial. The knife is in the plastic scabbard which is pressed between the deck bag and the top of the van at present since the surfski lives on the roof of my van this time of year. The blade is a multi purpose blade and I expect that should the need for it arise sometime, there is a good chance that the knife will accomplish the task required. At any rate, I don't see it not getting the job done because of lack of maintenance on my part.

portagee slim,
Good to know and hear on your knife. I am confident that should I put one of them in the application the Spyderco is presently in that I would have some issues. They could be avoided with some care and maintenance of the knife but I think I have the application covered with a solution requiring no care or inspection. You live on the coast but this knife gets in the water and salt spray often. It does not get a fresh water rinse unless it happens to be raining. We're talking real neglect here!

I do use a knife almost daily but it is a folding box cutter that I use for opening packages. I don't carry a knife because I don't have any pockets, most of the time. I could clip a knife on to my waist but I don't need one on me. :shrug:

portagee slim

Newly Enlightened
Don, mine has been used as a bait knife on a boat for days at a time, with nothing more than a clean salt water rinse. So, yup, mine is abused too.....best wishes.

Drew

precisionworks

Flashaholic
It certainly would require some care though with the 304 stainless steel
+1

Type 304 stainless is great for two uses ... forks & spoons:eek: Under the best of conditions, which means constant cleaning, it isn't bad. I don't know of any maker of salt water marine hardware that uses 304, they all use 316 (or 316L if welding is involved in the component).

The only drawback to 316/316L is that the price premium is roughly 100% more than 304.

I understand that this knife has a better edge that will hold better than the Ti
Hardenability is the biggest drawback for Ti use in knife blades.

Both unalloyed (commercially pure) and alpha alloy Ti are not hardenable.

Alpha-beta alloys (which include Ti-6-4) can be strengthened by solution heat treating and by aging.

Beta alloys have the highest hardenability, but are much less commonly used than other Ti alloys. These are:

Ti-13V-11Cr-3Al
Ti-8Mo-8V-2Fe-3Al
Ti-3Al-8V-6Cr-4Mo-4Zn
Ti-11.5Mo-6Zr-4.5Sn

The beta alloys are normally hardened to around 40 Rc. Most "stainless" knives will test 50 Rc, sometimes better. That's a large difference in edge holding ability.