Dorcy 45 lumen 1x AAA Comparison Review

mayo

Newly Enlightened
Can't figure out why this thread doesn't show up under new posts. Weird.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
If this circuit was used to power a TWOK luxeon would it be better able to handle a Li/Ion to maybe get around the lower voltage problem? I have still been able to find this light locally however I am always on the look out for cheap hosts for mods.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Thanks a lot for this review, I have been eyeing those Dorcy focusing lights for a LONG long time as I pass the light section at Sears, and upon seeing this, am definitely going to pick one up next time. I'd like to get the 2AA as well though and do some tests on it. The beam looks to be extremely smooth in both spot AND flood!! 2 amps seems a bit much, but if it truly beats an LOD's medium in overall output as stated above, that's a slight bit of saving grace. Forward clicky is a major surprise, pretty awesome.

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks a lot for this review, I have been eyeing those Dorcy focusing lights for a LONG long time as I pass the light section at Sears, and upon seeing this, am definitely going to pick one up next time. ....

Did you see that you can buy Dorcy lights direct with free shipping? LINK to DorcyDirect.com.

Dorcydirect was offering a 10% off coupon code during April, but I do not see it mentioned on their web site any longer.

Brigadier

Enlightened
This is right - however to do the focussing with lens they have to use the Nichia - I think it's because the dome is more like the 5mm shape which puts most of its light forwards (like a lens). They said they tried LumiLEDs like Luxeons and they could not focus with a lens........

Very interesting. Their website says they use Luxeons.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting. Their website says they use Luxeons.

You know, you're right, it does now say that on both their web pages -

At Dorcy.com it's in the category of 1watt Luxeon.
Products > Lighting Products > LED 1 Watt Luxeon > 41-4252

and at DorcyDirect -
41-4252 45 Lumens 1 Watt - LED Focusing Flashlight With 1 AAA Battery
it now says: "Luxeon 1 Watt LEDs from Lumileds offer state of the art performance."

But please look at the photo of the actual LED in Post #25 -
that does not look like any Luxeon I know of -
and although you have to take my word for it, when I spoke to Dorcy's Marketing VP on the flashlight, he told me about the focussing limitation/ability with Nichia LEDs ......

Brigadier

Enlightened
You know, you're right, it does now say that on both their web pages -

At Dorcy.com it's in the category of 1watt Luxeon.
Products > Lighting Products > LED 1 Watt Luxeon > 41-4252

and at DorcyDirect -
41-4252 45 Lumens 1 Watt - LED Focusing Flashlight With 1 AAA Battery
it now says: "Luxeon 1 Watt LEDs from Lumileds offer state of the art performance."

But please look at the photo of the actual LED in Post #25 -
that does not look like any Luxeon I know of -
and although you have to take my word for it, when I spoke to Dorcy's Marketing VP on the flashlight, he told me about the focussing limitation/ability with Nichia LEDs ......

False advertising?:scowl: