Dorcy Cool Cyan

hideo

Enlightened
sat down and started tinkering with one of the Dorcy Spyders ... for those not familiar, it's a nice cheap little 2x123 aluminum light that has potential for LED upgrades (downgrades) without breaking the bank ...

took out the Dremel and quickly realixed I had no uncomitted Luxeons around 'cept for a cyan 1W LD "module" for drop in applications ...

had the right size pins to fit the Dorcy's bi-pin socket

no regulator either (I'm new to this) ... I don't need no stinking regulator ...

(Pardon the stream of drivel writing that follows:)

took the light apart and jumpered 2 worn out (moon mode on the LS or the Sneedle) cells to the Lux (oops, polarity--reverse try again ... pretty bright, no smoke

(Puzzle--scatch head--look at pieces of light again ... follow Slick's lead and try to Dremel reflector out to allow Lux to rise above the bottom of the bowl--patience wearing thin ... dim large area flood (McFlood?)

take the NX05 optic-- fits in the head of the Spyder with reflector removed (working faster now)... juggle optic and light and move optic back and forth--scratch head some more. can't secure optic in place against LED ... and focus not right ... grind down backside of optic with emery cloth ... more, more ... THERE!

saran wrap is the key to eliminating the rattle when shaken-tension secures the optic and the outer part of the head secures the saran:

fba4b58e.jpg

trim saran and voila! Looks factory!

fba4b83c.jpg

white in the head is the frosting of the back lip of the optic from sanding to get the focus right ...

fba4b092.jpg

fba4b5ef.jpg

with two tired 123s and a bright, white ARC LSL (2AA) on the right:

fba4b07b.jpg

1 toasted and 1 fresh 123:

fba4b07b.jpg

it was kinda late and I did'nt really think--the next move was reflex ... direct drive Lux abuse with two fresh 123s -a couple of seconds only)

fba4b60c.jpg

yikes! Ran it one or two more times with fresh cells--it got warm after a relatively short time so until I can do a heat sink, this will be for informational purposes only.

Great way to burn up your trashed 123s as well. Very usable.

Now to find someone who will cut this guy down to 1x123 length and rethread it for me

hideo

PS jeez, took me about as long to get these pics up as to make the Spyder "blue"

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: re: Dorcy Cool Cyan

Cool! You might want to check current flow and see what the different battery combos drive it at, then decide it a resistor is needed to protect it from a fresh 6V of lithium power. That saran wrap idea is pretty slick... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hideo

Enlightened
Re: re: Dorcy Cool Cyan

to avoid the battery spike with fresh (3.30V or so) 123s, I used some gently preused 123s for the "fresh" last pic--I was pretty hesitant at this point and had every expectation of smoke ...

wonder if the Vf on the cyans is higher than the white LS--I actually ran it for about 20 seconds at one point on fresh cells, disassembled and it was getting PRETTY warm.

It really is usable on trashed 123s, though but dosen't DWARF the output of a regulated 1Wer like it did in the last shot of course--the beat up 123s are showing an open voltage of 2.6 or so, but I'm sure that plummets the moment the LS is hooked up

yeah, clear plastic wrap is your tensegrity friend--wonder if Frank Lloyd Wright ever did anything with it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

hideo