DQG SPY ?

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
well.. i cant get my titanium hobi to open any other way than like i said. so cant make it into 3 pieces. my fingers hurt from trying.

oh well.. im fine with it now.

like said. i got quantum dd charger now charging the battery. (another pretty little light.. i wonder why i didnt buy one before. veleno designs do sell the charger separately too.)

.. and because i saw a deal of fairy in banggood i had to order a dqg fairy from there too (was 22$ or so) so that is in the mail. the SS version of hobi should be also coming over soon.

likely will be giving the fairy as a present and putting the ss hobi into another cars keys. (unless i want to keep the old lummi raw there as old times sake).

my keychain still feels weird btw. havent gotten used to the size downsizing i got out of hobi vs raw. tempted to drop sog micron out and adding leatherman squirt there. to get more size and weight back hahaahh.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got my Hobi now. First impressions, too nice to put in my pocket. It's going to be pretty abused in there with keys and stuff.

The package came in a plastic box
IMG_0157.jpg

Here's what I got. Some glow in the dark o-rings, split ring, the Hobi, the charger and the two more batteries.
IMG_0158.jpg

It turns on! ... but wait, only one mode?
IMG_0159.jpg

hmm, ok, let's charge up that battery and see what comes of it.

IMG_0161.jpg

There one thing I have to say, the threads are tight. Without the knurling it makes it very hard to twist. Going to see if I can lube it up and see if that is any better. Even had a hard time twisting the charger on.

I'm assuming that it only has low mode at the moment, but it looks like quite a bright low. If it is 20mA, it is brighter than a Fenix E01.

Edit: OK, it does have two modes. It took quite some tightening to get high. There is some thread play as well so needed to loosen the head quite a bit to stop this from happening. Hmm, neck wear perhaps?

Last edited:

Glofindel

Newly Enlightened
I've got my Hobi now. First impressions, too nice to put in my pocket. It's going to be pretty abused in there with keys and stuff.

The package came in a plastic box
IMG_0157.jpg

Here's what I got. Some glow in the dark o-rings, split ring, the Hobi, the charger and the two more batteries.
IMG_0158.jpg

It turns on! ... but wait, only one mode?
IMG_0159.jpg

hmm, ok, let's charge up that battery and see what comes of it.

IMG_0161.jpg

There one thing I have to say, the threads are tight. Without the knurling it makes it very hard to twist. Going to see if I can lube it up and see if that is any better. Even had a hard time twisting the charger on.

I'm assuming that it only has low mode at the moment, but it looks like quite a bright low. If it is 20mA, it is brighter than a Fenix E01.

Edit: OK, it does have two modes. It took quite some tightening to get high. There is some thread play as well so needed to loosen the head quite a bit to stop this from happening. Hmm, neck wear perhaps?
I need that charger. Right now I use Quantum's usb charger.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need that charger. Right now I use Quantum's usb charger.

I don't know if the DQG waterproof PSK pill holder will act as holder for the charger but I wish I had another body for just charging

As for the Hobi, it is nice. The optics are perfect for it. Big big hotspot and even some very useful spill. Low mode to me seems brighter than an E01 and it is probably the perfect level for low for my uses anyway. It is really bright in high, much brighter than I expected. The neutral white beam is just that. The 4C tint is almost perfect without a hint of green and maybe just a touch of yellow. Not as warm/yellow/golden as the 5A in DQG AAA. If there was a tint lottery, I think I won.

The tightness of the thread on the body affects the twist-ability of the head and the charger but I think that is just my sample. Can't complain as everything else is good but might find ways to help with grip. I was going to lube the o-ring but due to the thread play, but I have to untwist it quite a bit to keep it off, and a further twist means the head is too loose.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
the brass fairy is nice. but like i thought it would of been too floody for my tastes. glad i got the hobi. its beam is more "me". :)

the hobi titanium is staying on my keys and i love it. (even though i still can only open it from "wrong" part)

the stainless hobi i got for spare to titanium works nicely too. and it opens the way fairy does so i can charge the batteries of the hobi-ti with them if needed.
-this reminds me. i better change and charge the one in titanium now tonight. been using it so much that its high time to recharge.

hazna

Enlightened
The tightness of the thread on the body affects the twist-ability of the head and the charger but I think that is just my sample. Can't complain as everything else is good but might find ways to help with grip. I was going to lube the o-ring but due to the thread play, but I have to untwist it quite a bit to keep it off, and a further twist means the head is too loose.

I notice the same issue earlier. I now have the threads male threads on the head (instead of the body). The head is no longer loose when off. However will be an issue with the charger, since that won't screw in that way... If the DQG waterproof pill holder also works with the charger, would be great!

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dropped my hobi in the pond from a bridge. I got it back as the light was still on so it was like a beacon. The lesson, if your fingers are not so dexterous, then make sure it is attached to something like a key ring or a lanyard which is what I am doing now

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going to have to cancel my membership here. Ordered fairy & hobi. $20 each everbuying. Plus charger for 20 @ Amazon.

gman44116

Newly Enlightened
My Ti SPY comes dangerously loose with the included oring. Tried to double up the orings which came with the light and they won't stay put. Started using piping thread tape and that's just a temp fix.

Anyone know what siE replacemwnt oring will get me to where this light should be? Oh, and I only get a single low mode now.

fxsniper

Newly Enlightened
Hi, don´t know if anybody is still posting here. I am going to buy a SPY, but can´t make up my mind between SS or Ti. Any input would be appreciated. And I have good news for those looking for a DQG 10180 charger body. There is such thing!

http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=2238

(Don´t know if it is simply the DQG capsule body or not.) Now we can just pop a fresh battery into the light and charge the empty one at the same time.

ven

Flashaholic
For me it depends on where its going to live, simple as that. As mine are for car keys, stainless i find best as it does not mark easy and looks as new years on(other stainless light for that time frame)

The cooyoo quantum has been with keys for months and as new! The TiS is as new and been abused , looks like new!

fxsniper

Newly Enlightened
thanks, I wish I could see pictures of both SS and Ti together. I think I will be going for the Ti (unique flashlight, kind of unique metal....).

ven

Flashaholic
thanks, I wish I could see pictures of both SS and Ti together. I think I will be going for the Ti (unique flashlight, kind of unique metal....).

ti is little special, ss for me wears very well so good for key chain lights(that come into contact with keys/coins etc), same breath ti can be polished anyway.

Get both:p

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
SS is nice but the Ti is light as a feather and is tough as nails. I think you'll really like the Ti model.

ven

Flashaholic
SS is nice but the Ti is light as a feather and is tough as nails. I think you'll really like the Ti model.

I will have to open the packet then :laughing: yes its still in there as been more than happy with the ss...........maybe a special occasion! ;)
Old pic

fxsniper

Newly Enlightened
DQG SPY ti, ordered today from gearbest (and DQG Hobi, Blackwater Kite, Jetbeam Mini-1). Cool lights for the whole family....hopefully no delivery problems.