Dremel Engraver?

chalo

Newly Enlightened
That's a new marketing take on the old "electric pencil" vibrating scriber. Excellent for ripping bright marks through color anodizing and for making anybody's handwriting seem wobbly and chaotic.

Chalo Colina

snuffy

Enlightened
I've used an older version of that for over 30 years. Very good engraver and replacement tips are cheap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I agree with snuffy. We use the old style for engraving parts and our tools at work. Works great and lasts forever. I'm sure the new one will be just as reliable if it's the same ol' quality Dremel.

I still got my eye on the Electro Stylus Mark Xb though but it's a bit expensive.

utomatoe

Enlightened
Hmm.. I'm not much of an artist, so it was just a passing curiosity... How easy do you think it'd be for me to engrave a minimag or to ruin one? Haha, I should probably just pay to get in engraved...

idleprocess

Flashaholic
It's a variation on an old theme.

Allright for basic marking of stuff for personal ID purposes - not for anything that needs to be exceptionally presentable. For that you sort of need a trophy/awards shop type engraver.

Aten_Imago

Banned
I used to use my dremel engraving bit for marking tools etc all the time. Unfortunately, it's a bit tricky to use for really conrolled looking work- hence the use of Computer aided engravers.also, once engraved, many things are no longer re-sellable.

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find that "electric pencil" type of engraver nearly impossible to use. I would much rather use a rotary bit. Even then, we are talking nowhere near presentation quality. Just about "property marking" quality is all I can manage.