Durability

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going by the bulk of posts I'm seeing on CPF and BLF, it seems there's much more attention paid to tint, lumens, and UI than durability. I often get the impression that a lot of flashlight purchases made above the average consumer models found at hardware stores is by flashaholics and hobbyists that will treat their lights carefully, striving to keep them in excellent shape for possible future resale. So, durability isn't as much of a factor if the "other boxes are checked off."

But there's no question that some brands really strive for durability first, meant to be put through the hard paces instead of being a pocket queen. I expect that's part of why a brand like Surefire charges a premium. Yet, you do have more affordable brands like Zebralight that really does put durability high up on the list. And you can see some model lines from other brands are built tough for tactical purposes -- Olight definitely does that with their M series. Isn't Fenix putting out higher durable lights in their TK series?

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Lol I remember the first time I saw that video. Not to many flashlight companies would dare to try that test.think malkoff would fare the same.

Sos24

Enlightened
Durability is very important to me especially while I was in the Navy. I have a couple Surefire and Fenix lights that have proven pretty durable when I carried them on various ships. They endured being dropped on steel decks, drenched by saltwater spray and extreme temperatures.

Signalcorpsoperator

Newly Enlightened
I'll second the updating a Surefire G2 to a Malkoff LED module!!

I picked up one of the newer G2X MV lights, and so far I'm a fan. It's tough as nails, and plenty bright too. There are differing opinions on the Nitrolon (plastic) flashlights, but I've had great success with them over the years...

Tom