Duty Light Suggestion

Windex

Newly Enlightened
Here's what I'm looking for:

-125+ Lumes... the better throw the better.
-CR123s or rechargeable... I don't pay for batteries :D
-Metal
-momentary & constant on tail cap... preferably with something that would help prevent accidental activation.

I've been looking at the vtac/surefire VTAC-L4 Light however if it was possible to do the same for less money, I'm all for it.

Light is going to be mounted on an ar15 carbine for work.

Edit to add:
I want one setting only, I don't want to have the light on dim when I need bright, etc. I'll have other lights on my person to use for that kinda stuff if need be. I simply want on/off/momentary.

Last edited:

flip

Enlightened
On my duty belt right now is an FM 18650 body(6P clone) with Surefire head and clicky switch and a Dereelight drop-in.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at that combo, however I wasn't too sure about the switching mechanism being what I wanted.

I haven't decided on a SureFire vertical Foregrip when the LED models come out or something like:

Foregrip, 6P w/ M60, remote tape switch.

If you go the route of a fore grip then you could use a remote switch or..

Get a clicky tailswitch from SureFire to replace the twisty.

The tailswitch really will revolve around the other equipment and where on the rifle you want the light to be.

NE450No2

Enlightened
Since it is for duty use I would consider a Sure Fire 9P for your Duty Light, stick it in your back pocket when you get out of the cruiser in daytime, have it in your hand at night, and carry a Z2, M2, as an emergency spare on your belt.

The longer 3 cell 123 primary carries better under your "off arm" when doing typical "Patrol" work, and you need both hands, one to hold paper, the other to write.

You might find that you need a SF diffuser on the 9P for cloae up "stuff".

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think y'all missed the part about this light being a weapon light.

Windex

Newly Enlightened
My current duty light "long use" is a Streamlight Stinger C4 LED DS that I sent in for some "work" and came back brighter then ever... it's brighter then anyone else's light at work (of same model)... not sure what they did, but they did good :thumbsup:

Secondary light is a Jet III-M running off of rechargeable batteries.... Insight WX150 on the duty pistol (Replacement for the XTI which now has another home).....

I previously had a Surefire M952XM07 with IR filter (I don't know why I had the IR filter, but I did...) and a VFG with the pressure switch mounted on it... along with a LED conversion that would throw pretty damned good.

I got sick of having a VFG just for the light... I'm not a fan of them. I'm also not a fan of the overly complex light I was using. I don't need a Quick Detach light (it is the throw lever version, however now it's just taking up room in my safe.... along with the VFG) I want a light that i can activate momentary and/or constant on with my thumb as I am in the shooting position. This would be quite a bit more useful and I can get a better grip on the rifle.

I'm a huge fan of the insight WX150/XTI tactical lights for weapons, the switching mechanism is just too small for rifle work.

Last edited:

Windex

Newly Enlightened

tadbik

Enlightened
Sometimes you've got to think outside the box! I carry a Inova Inforce on my duty belt. 150 lumens plus low and strobe. It's not metal but made of carbon fiber and it's got an optional weapons mount and remote pressure switch.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well given you have two right now, there must be something that you like about it, so what is it?

And what made you think it won't be a good weapon light?
Just asking out of interest.

thank you =)
Already have one, however IMO it would not make a good weapon mounted light after my personal experience with it. I'm already on my second one.... got the first about 6 months ago.

I can handle that being that I keep 2 lights on my belt, but with only one on my rifle, I need something more reliable.

Windex

Newly Enlightened
Well given you have two right now, there must be something that you like about it, so what is it?

And what made you think it won't be a good weapon light?
Just asking out of interest.

thank you =)

When I say it's my second... I mean because the first one failed one night after an hour of use (missing person search)...... it was replaced under warranty, however I still don't trust it as an "only" light because of it.

There is a reason I now keep a G2 in my gear bag as a "backup" for the backup light. :oops:

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
ooohh......... very sorry to hear that.
I've had 3 Jetbeam lights so far and I love them all, well besides modest runtime/output efficiency, but reliability wise, they're superb from experience.

Hope you'll have better luck with your future Jetbeams.

How about Olight's M20?

NE450No2

Enlightened
I like to have 2 lights on a carbine.
One with a lot of flood for indoor and up close outdoor use, also with a fair amount of runtime.

My second light I want to be much brighter with more throw.

A SF Scout Light and A SF Incandescent with three 123 batteries, has worked well for me.

I have the 3 battery fore end light on one gun, and a clamp on SF on another.

A cheaper way is to use a G2L, or a G3L and a G3 either in a one inch weaver ring or in a Viking Tactics mount.

If your AR is the 16" version and has the original front sight you can get a rail that attaches to the front sight, and you can mount a light to both sides of the gun.

SF also has lights that clamp on to the barrel.If your gun has a standard front sight, I would clamp the light on TOP of the barrel and it is slightly protected by the front sight, you need a tape switch for that set up.

Any time you attach a light to the barrel or front sight of an AR it usually changes the point of impact.

One of my guns actually shot much better with the light mounted on top of the barrel, but I did have to re zero.

Last edited:

Windex

Newly Enlightened
I like to have 2 lights on a carbine.
One with a lot of flood for indoor and up close outdoor use, also with a fair amount of runtime.

My second light I want to be much brighter with more throw.

A SF Scout Light and A SF Incandescent with three 123 batteries, has worked well for me.

I have the 3 battery fore end light on one gun, and a clamp on SF on another.

A cheaper way is to use a G2L, or a G3L and a G3 either in a one inch weaver ring or in a Viking Tactics mount.

If your AR is the 16" version and has the original front sight you can get a rail that attaches to the front sight, and you can mount a light to both sides of the gun.

SF also has lights that clamp on to the barrel.If your gun has a standard front sight, I would clamp the light on TOP of the barrel and it is slightly protected by the front sight, you need a tape switch for that set up.

Any time you attach a light to the barrel or front sight of an AR it usually changes the point of impact.

One of my guns actually shot much better with the light mounted on top of the barrel, but I did have to re zero.

Very aware of the change of impact..... I'm a bit of a gun-nutt :whistle:

I'm leaning to the surefire light... honestly I havn't seen anything else that is close to being what I want.... (Single level brightness/protected momentary switch)

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
(Single level brightness/protected momentary switch)

I got ya :)

SureFire 6P - $45 (LAPoliceGear.com)
Malkoff M60 - $55 (MalkoffDevices.com)

SureFire Z49 Tail Cap - $41 + free shipping (OpticsPlanet.com)

Less than $150 and brighter than the VTAC. Not a lot of difference in the price but that is the best I can do :)

Windex

Newly Enlightened
hrmm... that may work nicely.

Side note... what do you think the qd surefire light I have, with IR filter and VFG is worth? Not much sense in holding onto it.

Windex

Newly Enlightened
I got ya :)

SureFire 6P - $45 (LAPoliceGear.com)
Malkoff M60 - $55 (MalkoffDevices.com)

SureFire Z49 Tail Cap - $41 + free shipping (OpticsPlanet.com)

Less than $150 and brighter than the VTAC. Not a lot of difference in the price but that is the best I can do :)

Stupid addictions.....

They had the 6p's for $39 and the click switch for $41... ordered two of each.

Why equip one rifle when I can equip two? :sssh:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stupid addictions.....

They had the 6p's for $39 and the click switch for $41... ordered two of each.

Why equip one rifle when I can equip two? :sssh:

When you get it put together don't forget to resurrect this thread to let us know how it feels! I am debating doing this with a VFG and having the light on the right side. Not sure how I feel about the enclosed tailcap though.

I believe you're holding the rifle in a tradition manner with the light being on the same side as the magazine release (the left side to me). So you've already got a mount obviously.

About the weapon light. If you put a thread up in the Market Place I'm sure someone will bite. Try to sell everything in a group or separately to see what sells.

They costs so much retail that a lot of people will look around for a good deal before dropping half a fortune.

Last edited: