• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired E-series xpg drop-in with 1.4 amp 3-mode driver and copper heatsink

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: E1E xpg drop-in with 1.4 amp 3-mode driver and copper heatsink

An update on my end:

There is no electricity/power/heat where I live, so it has been hard to get Internet...I am at the local library right now.

When my host arrives, I'll have it sent to you to make the dropin fit just right. I apologize for any delay, but it is apparent once night falls just how reliant we are on electricity!

Last edited:

Norcimbus

Newly Enlightened

Ok LEDadd1ct, sounds good. Sorry about your situation, sounds like out east got walloped with a fall snowstorm.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

It was a "Perfect Storm," as they say: leaves still on trees, wet, heavy snow, little notice...I am lucky enough to have power back, but many are not so fortunate.

I am emailing you now for your mailing address to send the light your way.

:)

LEDAdd1ct

EDIT: Email sent!

Norcimbus

Newly Enlightened

Email replied to. I am finishing up the last batch of drop-ins. Unless I am awaiting your light body for fitting, your order should ship by tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's patience, these are turning out great. I can't wait to hear what folks think about how they perform.

For my next trick, I'm trying to shoehorn an XML on to the E-series tower....we'll see how that turns out.

-Jon

indadark

Newly Enlightened

Email replied to. I am finishing up the last batch of drop-ins. Unless I am awaiting your light body for fitting, your order should ship by tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's patience, these are turning out great. I can't wait to hear what folks think about how they perform.

For my next trick, I'm trying to shoehorn an XML on to the E-series tower....we'll see how that turns out.

-Jon

Let me know when to send PP!

Norcimbus

Newly Enlightened

Glad there's interest, but I need to make sure its possible first! I will let you know.

Norcimbus

Newly Enlightened

I have changed the title to reflect the fact that these drop-ins will work with all E-series lights, not just the E1E. The original title was unnecessarily restrictive. I have updated the shipping status, most drop-ins have shipped unless I'm custom-fitting. All drop-ins should be shipped by Friday. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks.

indadark

Newly Enlightened
Just got mine in yesterday, very nice! Dropped it into my wifes E1B with a little copper tape just to snug it up a bit more. I went out and compared it to my E1D with the Veleno Designs dropin. After a few minutes comparing the the 2 I went back in and swapped the LE's so now my wife's E1B has the Veleno dropin :devil:

07c8fc82.jpg

da449789.jpg

Norcimbus

Newly Enlightened

Hi Everyone,

Helios, your drop-in shipped last Tuesday, it should be there soon I hope.

Indadark, I'm glad its working out for you, and thanks for the vote of confidence.

All remaining orders should be shipped by Friday, I will update the status on the first post as they are shipped. This is taking a little longer than I had hoped, but I am catching up. I appreciate your patience.

About the XML version of this drop-in: I don't know if it will be possible/practical, but I will post any success as soon as I find out. My main concern is that the corners of the emitter base have to be trimmed, and I don't know what that will do to the reliability of the emitter. Does anyone have experience with cutting the corners off the emitter and resulting reliability?

mikesantor

Enlightened

wouldn't it be easier to take a drill press to the reflector and bore it out a size?

What is the current wait time on these Jon? I have a trip im taking the first weekend in Dec (2nd) and I was curious if there was any chance of a drop in being complete by then?

Thanks.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to email you, but thought the question would be better asked publicly:

Will 4.30 volts fry the driver?

Norcimbus

Newly Enlightened
The input voltage range for the driver is 2.8 to 6 volts, although using a primary CR123 results in a low-voltage warning on the 3-mode drivers, so really the battery options for the 3-mode driver are either a single li-ion rechargeable (1xRCR123 or 1x17670 depending on light), or 2xCR123, but NOT 2xRCR123, which will probably fry the driver.

For the single mode driver I have for LEDaddict, the stated voltage range is 2.8-4.2 volts, so its designed for a single primary or a single li-ion. I honestly don't know however if a fully charged li-ion cell would damage the driver. I will try to find out without resorting to destructive testing on the one driver I have. I will order another single-mode board and test it with a fully charged li-ion, and let you know what I find out.

If you'd like I can include an aluminum CR123 spacer with your drop-in so you can use your E2E with a single primary while I'm waiting for the test board. In the meantime I will search to see if somebody has already answered this question. I'm hoping it won't be an issue, but I understand your concern.

Mike, PM sent.

-Jon

seahunt

Enlightened
Hello!
The E-series modules I have from both KuKu and Jon run very well on AW16340 at 4.2v.
Can't directly speak to 4.3 but how do you get 4.3? I'm happy to get 4.14 to 4.18 with IPC.
If I want 4.2 I have to move to 139 charger to top-off. Have read here this is not best way
to treat rechargeables. I'm very happy with Jon's product and would buy more.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you'd like I can include an aluminum CR123 spacer with your drop-in so you can use your E2E with a single primary while I'm waiting for the test board. In the meantime I will search to see if somebody has already answered this question. I'm hoping it won't be an issue, but I understand your concern.

It is okay. I don't need the spacer. Thank you, though.

@seahunt, I ask because of the Sanyo UR16650ZT cell (link to PDF). I would probably just charge to 4.20, but would like to know for sure in case I decide to take advantage of the full capacity.

Last edited:

Norcimbus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks seahunt, I wasn't sure about commonly reaching 4.3V on a charge either but I assumed it must be possible.

I did some checking on the single-mode boards I have, and according to several sources these boards have been run at input voltages up to 5V (apparently this generates excessive heat but does not damage the driver). I will still test one of them, but I don't anticipate a problem with running a single rechargeable with either driver I have available.

-Jon

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jon/seahunt: Most common lithium rechargeable cells are not designed to go up to 4.30 volts. This is a special cell, and the possibility of my using it in this fashion should not be construed as permissible for all li-co cells.

Norcimbus

Newly Enlightened
Oh, I see. Well, in that case, I don't think it should be an issue for most people who are using these with li-ion rechargeables.

-Jon