E1e led drop ins? What are my options?

SpyderHS08

Enlightened
Hey all,

I have myself an old Surefire E1e with Incan bulb putting out what, 15 lumens? I love the size and feel of this light and am wondering what kind of LED drop ins are available? Is there somewhere that manufactures them? And is it as simple as removing the bezel and replacing the Incan bulb and using the same body and batteries? I know there are updated versions like the e1d e1b etc and I have the e1d but it's a bit longer and Id really like to find a drop in for my e1e so I can keep it the same size. What's out there, Lumen wise and are they reasonably priced or is it just custom work that will be hundreds of dollars to build?

thanks!

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens Factory makes the E1-LED drop in at $38 USD plus shipping. It puts out 320 lumens from an XP-G2 S5 LED, with a run time of one hour with a 16340, and 1.5 hr with a single primary. It will work with 3.0-3.7v as input, so you can use either a single CR123 or an RCR123/16340 rechargeable cell. They sell other E series drop ins as well, but they all require the use of Lumens Factory's replacement head.

I have had a flashlight and several drop ins from them for several years and like them all. Mark, the owner, is a member here and drops in from time to time.

Last edited:

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be all over the Lumens Factory dropin if it was at least two mode.

I use a 120 lumen Nichia 219B dropin from Tana. 3 modes 10,40,100%.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I also have the tana 3 mode Nichia but I think it is more than 120 lumens. Not sure of output but it is 1 amp on high. Much brighter with li ion than primary.

SpyderHS08

Enlightened
Oooo 2 or 3 mode led is sounding good......I can replace that old Fenix pd20 I've been carrying around lol (nice modes) but I prefer the look, feel and quality of the e1e!

recDNA

Flashaholic
Here you go:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/358666

3a624af4b00e6c938f69e9864f93fd84.jpg

bc73911f52e755b8c3b15360c818607c.jpg

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have the tana 3 mode Nichia but I think it is more than 120 lumens. Not sure of output but it is 1 amp on high. Much brighter with li ion than primary.

Mine only has 500mAh Max, it has a special driver optimized for primaries, with only 3.6V max, no LiCo or IMR.

What's great is that we get to choose the LED, UI and output levels with Tana's work. :)

SpyderHS08

Enlightened
Really appreciating the info fellas. Looking forward to doing something with mine.

so with one of tanas drop ins I can achieve something around 200 lumen high and 10 low and just run it on a surefire 123a battery and my stock bezel? Would this be his 219b model that I would want to look into then? and it would always come on low mode first then click again and get the high mode? I have some flashlight knowledge but when it comes to all the numbers, mAh and voltage I start to get a bit lost. I do understand about the ui though and that's why I'm asking if these options I just mentioned are achievable thru one of his cheaper versions, the $72 one I believe..so all of your guys help is awesome.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
The advantage of the 219b is good tint and accurate color rendition. If you care more about brightness XP-G2 is brighter. The Tana model I would buy if I were buying a new one is the XP-L. It is the brightest. If you want accurate color and a tint similar to incandescent the HI CRI 3000K XP-L is the ticket. If you like a whiter tint the regular XP-L is best.

Any of the 1 amp models above will produce at least 200 lumens.

Last edited:

SpyderHS08

Enlightened
Ahh okay and yes I prefer the led light that is white rather than incan yellow tint. And I do like a bright pocket rocket! The xp-L has optional modes I believe. But does anybody know what kind of run times it has? As I don't want something that can push 300 lumens but only lasts 30 min on high..

recDNA

Flashaholic
Ahh okay and yes I prefer the led light that is white rather than incan yellow tint. And I do like a bright pocket rocket! The xp-L has optional modes I believe. But does anybody know what kind of run times it has? As I don't want something that can push 300 lumens but only lasts 30 min on high..
Amps determine run time. A 1 amp 219b, XP-G2, or XP-L will all produce identical run time. If you like cool white the blue-est would be the XP-G2. The brightest is the XP-L but the hotspot is a little yellow.

You mention run time. The XP-L on medium may be bright enough and therefore give the most run time.

Last edited:

SpyderHS08

Enlightened
Amps determine run time. A 1 amp 219b, XP-G2, or XP-L will all produce identical run time. If you like cool white the blue-est would be the XP-G2. The brightest is the XP-L but the hotspot is a little yellow.

You mention run time. The XP-L on medium may be bright enough and therefore give the most run time.

Man these are all tempting in their own ways....the xp-l and xp-g2 sound good, heck they all sound good! any idea of spillage or throw with these tana LEDs? Which one throws best?

edit: has anyone ran tanas drop ins on a surefire 123a 3V battery? As this is what I have and have always used for my flashlights.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
None throw well. Very small shallow reflector ensures floody beam no matter what led is used.

I have used primary CR123A in mine. I would say it drops max output by 50%. You might pm Tana about which is brightest with primary 3 volt battery.

SpyderHS08

Enlightened
None throw well. Very small shallow reflector ensures floody beam no matter what led is used.

I have used primary CR123A in mine. I would say it drops max output by 50%. You might pm Tana about which is brightest with primary 3 volt battery.

I had Been talking with tana and he mentioned not having boost drivers anymore so I don't think any of his current available drop ins will work for me....? I believe He said boost drivers are needed for 123a batteries, or they may put out light but he's not sure how much or how it will perform with the 123a's instead of rechargeables.
after looking through his thread it seems the best option for me was one of his old 120 lumen 3 mode versions with boost driver, man I came late to the show! Lol

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I had Been talking with tana and he mentioned not having boost drivers anymore so I don't think any of his current available drop ins will work for me....? I believe He said boost drivers are needed for 123a batteries, or they may put out light but he's not sure how much or how it will perform with the 123a's instead of rechargeables.
after looking through his thread it seems the best option for me was one of his old 120 lumen 3 mode versions with boost driver, man I came late to the show! Lol
Mine puts out at least 120 lumens on primary. Mine is not the old boost driver. Nanj driver i think.

Just spring for a couple of AW protected icr rechargeable batteries and an xtar charger and you're all set.

SpyderHS08

Enlightened
I might have to do that, is lighthound or batteryjunction still a good place to buy this type of stuff or are there better dealers nowadays? Battery and xtar charger item number would be appreciated so I know I'm getting the right thing! :) I suppose I could splurge for two of em to keep "guilt free" lumens flowing as someone else called it around here lol, thanks again!

Edit- found an xtar mc1 plus1 bay at battery junction for $10, seems fair enough and it says it Will charge 16340's. As well as Xtar RCR123A / 16340 650mAh 3.6V Protected Lithium Ion (Li-ion) Button Top Battery - Boxed (XTAR-16340-650MAH- for about $6 a pop.
Thoughts?

So I could use these in my all stock 1 cell surefires if I wanted? as well as with a Tana drop in led. I'm getting there guys, bare with me :D

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I might have to do that, is lighthound or batteryjunction still a good place to buy this type of stuff or are there better dealers nowadays? Battery and xtar charger item number would be appreciated so I know I'm getting the right thing! :) I suppose I could splurge for two of em to keep "guilt free" lumens flowing as someone else called it around here lol, thanks again!

Edit- found an xtar mc1 plus1 bay at battery junction for $10, seems fair enough and it says it Will charge 16340's. As well as Xtar RCR123A / 16340 650mAh 3.6V Protected Lithium Ion (Li-ion) Button Top Battery - Boxed (XTAR-16340-650MAH- for about $6 a pop.
Thoughts?

So I could use these in my all stock 1 cell surefires if I wanted? as well as with a Tana drop in led. I'm getting there guys, bare with me :D
I prefer the vp2 or vc2 chargers but they cost more. VC4 is nice if you have any nimh to charge as well as li ions.

I get my AW batteries from rtd vape.