Eagletac D25aaa

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ What about tint changes at lower modes? Is that a misperception on my part due to the lower output?

+

no, but the tint will be a bit warmer anyway even w/ pwm

that bit of time off factors in

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another observation I just made was that the tailcap almost has to be removeable judging by the look of the clip and the fact that it's removeable. I do not see any opening in the clip's ring that goes around the light, so it's obviously not a snap on clip. I'm guessing it goes on in a similar way to the Preons, which if I am right, this could open up some options for other tailcaps such as a magnetless one or a reverse clicky.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know what PWM is. I have some PWM lights and some current controlled lights. I rarely find myself pointing my lights at fan blades, or doing other "tests" to find out if I can force them into some artificial circumstance where I "might" be just barely able to detect some PWM effects. My PWM lights are essentially undetectable in normal use.

If I had a curremt controlled light that didn't turn green in the low modes, I would like that just fine.
i don't care what method they use, as long as it doesn't cause issues in normal use. And from the experiences I have had, I notice much less intrusion from PWM than current controlled.
That being said, if the PWM was a "strobe light" that is easily detectable in normal use, then I wouldn't like that.
But my lights are primarily quality made lights from the US. The Chinese lights may not be up to this standard to which I am accustomed.
I have a reasonable number of lights to chose from. PWM is easy to detect most of the time. You don't need to shine it at a fan. And yes it can be quite noticeable when in use too. Just something you catch out of the corner of your eye while moving about. Or if you are pointing it at something that moves. Being out in the rain or near running water is even more evident.

I don't have any EagTacs, but this looked intetesting until I found out it had a magnet in it.
Now it"s no longer interesting.
Well that's just weird.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Flat regulation gives the same tint & output straight across,, you'll likely pop in a fresh cell way before it's out of regulation.
the tint argument is suggestive thinking done by a manufacturer who can't do flat regulation.

Because the clip is removable, finding a different clip could be a possibility
Funny you should say that, as the worst tint shifting torch I own is my EagleTac D25LC2 Mini. A brilliant torch, but heavy tint shift on the two lower output modes.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

ET states for D25AAA = Non-dimming constant current regulation for all output levels
Likely not the case w/ li-ion though

really doesn't concern me either way...

What I would like to know is the beam pattern w/ 219 & the optic
hard to tell from this
specs_beamshota.jpg

Last edited:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nichia 219B and XP-G2 are quite similar sized iirc, that and the combination of using a TIR, I wouldn't expect a hugely different beam profile between them.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny you should say that, as the worst tint shifting torch I own is my EagleTac D25LC2 Mini. A brilliant torch, but heavy tint shift on the two lower output modes.

Run-Time-Medium2.png

...Low is flat regulated also, maybe double the hours of med.

I have a couple of D25LC2 minis', use them every day
only notice dimming on High,, basically time to put in a fresh 18650.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a reasonable number of lights to chose from. PWM is easy to detect most of the time. You don't need to shine it at a fan. And yes it can be quite noticeable when in use too. Just something you catch out of the corner of your eye while moving about. Or if you are pointing it at something that moves. Being out in the rain or near running water is even more evident.

Well that's just weird.
Not really too weird.
I don't want to carry any magnet for any reason, especially built into an EDC flashlight that may be in my pocket with any number of steel objects clinging to the unwanted magnetic tailcap.

Movie frames change at a rate of 24 frames per second, much slower rate than any PWM rate. Do you complain about seeing the changing frames at the movies?

Last edited:

Bad_JuJu

Newly Enlightened
I'm just excited to pick up one of each emitter. The big question is which color to get which emitter in!? Im thinking blue xp-g2 and red nichia 219 b. That way I wont mix them up! I'm holding out until they are in stock regardless.

Last edited:

LG&M

Enlightened
Looks like this might be my next light. AAA is great for EDC & I am due for something new.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Movie frames change at a rate of 24 frames per second, much slower rate than any PWM rate. Do you complain about seeing the changing frames at the movies?

Yes I find movies especially during action scenes to be horribly blurry even on Blu-Ray. About the only time they look crisp is when it's a very slow onscreen movement or a very slow scene pan.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Run-Time-Medium2.png

...Low is flat regulated also, maybe double the hours of med.

I have a couple of D25LC2 minis', use them every day
only notice dimming on High,, basically time to put in a fresh 18650.
I think we are talking at cross purposes here. I'm not talking about regulation of any kind at all. I'm talking about the tint you get on each output mode.

Low/Moon mode = very green coloured and muddy light
Low2 = still green
Med = white'ish
High = Cool white

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really too weird.
I don't want to carry any magnet for any reason, especially built into an EDC flashlight that may be in my pocket with any number of steel objects clinging to the unwanted magnetic tailcap.
It might yet be removable.

Not really a like for like comparison, although at the cinema when the camera pans, yes you can notice it. The same is true with flashlights. I'm not saying it has to bother you, but you have to be pretty ignorant to not notice it under the conditions where it is plainly evident.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Omg!

Thankfully, I have been mercifully spared from afflictions such as this, and have managed to eke thru life while enjoying normal flashlight use.

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
PWM is a very polarizing issue. In addition, some people are very sensitive to PWM. As I said above, I have 1 light with slow PWM on Low. All my other lights that use PWM have high frequencies so the PWM is not noticeable. I think the only issue more polarizing than PWM is the ZL UI. (Sorry to repeat post my posts above, but this is continuing discussion of PWM is distracting.)

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

EagleTac does not use PWM

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
What were we talking about here again?

The frame rate of movies & whether magnets can cause them to tint shift, I think.

On topic though, it seems like the low & medium modes are both too high with too short of run-time for me. I would prefer a low of 2-3 lumen and a medium of about 20 lumen with longer run-times than the 6 & 1.3 hours claimed now.

Last edited:

Latest posts