Eagletac D25LC2 Owners?

loquutis79

Enlightened
I have the XM-L version of this light and it's become my favorite 18650 light, but am very tempted to get the custom XP-G2 with the XM-L's C2000RC (2A vs. 1.5A stock) driver that ET will provide upon request. A recent review on another forum gave max OTF output slightly less than the D25LC2 XM-L @ 517 lumens but throw was almost double @ 11,500cd! :eek:

I emailed ET and they were happy to offer it at $61.90 + $20 shp'ng DHL.

I have the D25LC2 with the XM-L and really love it. But the one mentioned above sounds very nice also. Where can I get this? Only directly from ET?

*FWIW in some recent pics I've seen it looks like the D25LC2 has an upgraded deep carry pocket clip too.

loquutis79

Enlightened
Cyclesport, this one sounds great. I have the XM-L version and love it, but I would like more throw.
Where can I get this one? Only direct from ET?
Do I need to quote the details as you have them posted?

cyclesport

Enlightened
Yeah, just email ET via their website and ask to place an order for the D25LC2 clicky with the XP-G2 emitter factory modified with the XM-L version's C2000RC driver. They responded to me with a $61.90 cost + $20 for DHL shipping. Shipping is kinda high, but for a factory custom modded light w/warranty...still a good deal.

*(I actually emailed Tod at illumanationgear to see if he could get me the same light since I'd rather buy from him, but that was this morning and have yet to hear back. I'd be surprised if he could though.)

Thank the OP "Match" for the original heads-up on this one!

Last edited:

okenobi

Newly Enlightened
Finally, Match is getting more people into this mod! Seems like the perfect, small 18650 light to me. Unfortunately, I don't have the requisite 4-5 weeks to wait for Christina at Eagletac to hook me up, as I'm leaving the country in a week :(

Maybe I'll treat myself whenever I get back... ;)

sspc

Newly Enlightened
Just trying to get a glimpse of how many folks actually own this light. This one doesn't seem to be talked about a whole lot since the D25C is more compact.
Actually, I find that this variation gets discussed more than all others...including the D25C

I've got the twisty XPG S2. It is my smallest 18650 light. There are four usable light levels and many different kinds of strobe and beacon modes those I haven't seen anywhere else. The low on my model is a usable low level but nowhere as low as a firefly. The XPG in this deep reflector makes this light a real thrower for its size. The clip is very strong and useful.

I've had many lights I regretted buying but this is one I'm proud with my decision. :)
Spot on. I agree with everything said above.

Verndog

Enlightened
can we verify that the D25LC2 now has the deeper pocket clip? I got the D25A over D25LC2 because of the clip...

I just bought the D25LC2-C from the distributor in the last week and it still had the older clip that sits about 1" from the end. Great light, but their user manual is wrong and outdated.
Just ordered the D25A-C today...so I must like them.

K9Patrol

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought a D25LC2. Had to send it back because it was defective; whenever it would get warm, moonlight mode would stop working. When it cooled down, the light flickered on very dimly, and slowly came up to regular moonlight output as it continued to cool. Have never had a bad F/L before, have another one coming, we'll see how that one goes.

Tiresius

Enlightened
I have that same problem too, K9Patrol. I thought it was just a driver precaution. I will give ET a message bout this problem. Mines never came back on until the light cool down.

razor56

Newly Enlightened
I received my eagtac d25lc2 yesterday

I decided on the neutral white and for me I am glad I did. I compared it witht the cool white version from Light Junction. The neutral is great outside and inside and easy on my eyes. There is a 7% reduction in output with the neutral white. I could not notice it. I also orded the eagtac 3100 18650 batteries. So far so good. It is by far the brightest little light I have ever owned. Jeff at Light Junction was great to to business with.

Last edited by a moderator:

vector1972

Newly Enlightened
i carry one at work im a sandblaster. mine has held up great no problems alittle more throw would be nice

Boss

Newly Enlightened
I have two D25LC2's, both the XM-L U2 and newer XM-L2 U2 version. The newer XM-L2 has a warmer, better tint in my opinion, and noticeably brighter. I never cared for the Cool tint of the XM-L U2.

For those who would like more throw:
Today, I dedomed the older XM-L U2 version and have to say the results are awesome! It now has a tighter hot spot, and the tint is actually warmer than the XM-L2 version. The big plus is that I can't tell that it is any less brighter than before.

I'll be taking both lights out on a walk tonight for further throw testing.

js82

Newly Enlightened
I have two D25LC2's, both the XM-L U2 and newer XM-L2 U2 version. The newer XM-L2 has a warmer, better tint in my opinion, and noticeably brighter. I never cared for the Cool tint of the XM-L U2.

For those who would like more throw:
Today, I dedomed the older XM-L U2 version and have to say the results are awesome! It now has a tighter hot spot, and the tint is actually warmer than the XM-L2 version. The big plus is that I can't tell that it is any less brighter than before.

I'll be taking both lights out on a walk tonight for further throw testing.

What CCT would you describe your cool white XM-L2 as? I really wanna get the neutral version but nobody seems to have it.

Boss

Newly Enlightened
What CCT would you describe your cool white XM-L2 as? I really wanna get the neutral version but nobody seems to have it.

I've only compared it to my P60 drop-in which is XM-L2 6500k direct driven at 4.2A, it's only a tiny bit cooler than it. I believe the D25LC2 is regulated at 2A. So if I had to guess, 6300k? I don't have any complaints about the XM-L2 Cool White tint, however I have not evolved into a tint snob quite YET.:)

This was taken with my Droid, It makes the Dedomed XM-L(right) look much brighter. I assure you that the XM-L2 is still slightly brighter in person. But the hot spot detail on the Dedomed XM-L is really that amazing in person. Both lights are about 8feet from the ceiling.

Left: D25LC2 XM-L2 Cool White Right: D25LC2 XM-L Cool White Dedomed
img20130503202835802.jpg

david57strat

Enlightened
I've had my D25LC2 (Clicky, XM-L U2) for nearly a year, and have zero complaints about it. Very reliable, comfortable, user-friendly light. I use different lights for throw, but for flood, its' a wonderful light. I can't comment on the belt clip, because I almost never use them (I prefer holster carrying my lights). I bought this one at Illumination Gear (1st Class service - very friendly staff). I'd gladly buy another one, without hesitation.

Evidently, the newer version has a few more lumens, and is using the new XM-L2, or XP-G S2 emitter. Might be nice to have one of these with the XP-G S2 emitter, for better throw - though the rated output seems considerably lower than the XM-L2 version.

Boss

Newly Enlightened
Ok, back from walking the dogs/flashlight testing. The dedomed XM-L throws better for sure. I'm kinda tempted to dedome the XM-L2 now!

Back to the light itself, I've been very pleased with the D25LC2, it is my go to light for most occasions and gets the most use out of all my lights. I keep one on my nightstand(on Low Low mode), and one in the truck which I use for work(Farming). I use 18650 batteries and have never had an issue with running out of charge. I have been noticing the pocket clip retaining ring work loose, causing the clip to lose tension, I may try to loctite it.

I do find them a bit large for every day carry, so I do use a D25C XM-L2 for going out to dinner or dressier occasions, obviously smaller but it also has a deeper pocket clip. It is a very bright light on RCR123's.

Because it's so versatile, powerful, and relatively compact, I always recommend the D25LC2 to anyone looking for their first high quality light. I would recommend the newer XM-L2 version for warmer tint, and more brightness, although the XP-G2 at 2A mod seems like a great option as well.

js82

Newly Enlightened
I've only compared it to my P60 drop-in which is XM-L2 6500k direct driven at 4.2A, it's only a tiny bit cooler than it. I believe the D25LC2 is regulated at 2A. So if I had to guess, 6300k? I don't have any complaints about the XM-L2 Cool White tint, however I have not evolved into a tint snob quite YET.:)

This was taken with my Droid, It makes the Dedomed XM-L(right) look much brighter. I assure you that the XM-L2 is still slightly brighter in person. But the hot spot detail on the Dedomed XM-L is really that amazing in person. Both lights are about 8feet from the ceiling.

Left: D25LC2 XM-L2 Cool White Right: D25LC2 XM-L Cool White Dedomed

Thanks for the pic!

White balance is on, right? 6300K is still too cool for my liking so I guess I'll wait for the neutral version of the XM-L2.

Interesting that removing the "dome" on the LED results in a warmer white. That's the plastic like thing sitting on top of the LED, right? I thought that's what has the phosphors that convert blue light into warmer colors.

Boss

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the pic!

White balance is on, right? 6300K is still too cool for my liking so I guess I'll wait for the neutral version of the XM-L2.

Interesting that removing the "dome" on the LED results in a warmer white. That's the plastic like thing sitting on top of the LED, right? I thought that's what has the phosphors that convert blue light into warmer colors.

The 6300K figure was just a guess, and I have really no good basis for comparison since my 6500k XM-L2 is over driven(4.2A), which also changes tint. All I can say is that the factory XM-L U2 was much to "blue" and the XM-L2 U2 is very acceptable in my opinion. However, I am "warming up" to warmer tints as of late.

From what I've read here on CPF, typically removing the dome warms the tint. It was one of the reasons I decided to try it out since I wasn't so pleased with the original tint. The other reason was to increase the throw. I'm very happy that the process alleviated both of my concerns.

I may be wrong, but I think the dome is primarily there to help diffract the light from the emitter, thus causing a wider beam angle and more lumen output. I'm still not sure why removing it would influence the tint.

I may de-dome the XM-L2, if/when I do, I'll try to post a pic.

Tiresius

Enlightened
Awesome mod! Cool stubby body. Were you able to put 18350's in it or just 16340's?
BTW, I'm in Fresno too!

It's bored to fit 18350's. I currently have 18650's and 16340's at hand. The bodies were bored to roughly 18.6mm to accept protected cells (based on protected 18650's dimensions).