Eagletac GX25L2 (2x18650) & SX25L2 (2x26650) XM-L2 U2 Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS+

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Eagletac GX25L2 (2x18650) & SX25L2 (2x26650) XM-L2 U2 Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS

Great work, as always! Your samples have the XM-L2 led. I am looking to pick up the GX25L2 in neutral, but wanted to make sure it's the XM-L2. Where are your samples from? Most everyone is carrying the XM-L version at a discounted price. Do you think the XM-L2 is worth the wait and extra $$?

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Eagletac GX25L2 (2x18650) & SX25L2 (2x26650) XM-L2 U2 Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS

I haven't seen the XM-L2's available anywhere yet. I'm waiting on them to become available, I know I would regret it if I didn't get the latest and greatest, even though the current XM-L versions are probably more than good enough. At least I know they will probably be available soon, it is worse waiting for the MX25L2T with SBT-70, I have no idea when that is going to be available.

Does anyone know the CCT of the cool and naturals leds used in these lights?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Great work, as always! Your samples have the XM-L2 led. I am looking to pick up the GX25L2 in neutral, but wanted to make sure it's the XM-L2. Where are your samples from? Most everyone is carrying the XM-L version at a discounted price. Do you think the XM-L2 is worth the wait and extra $$?
Mine were direct from Eagletac. I don't know what the estimated delivery to the various dealers is, but I am sure they would give you an estimate if you asked.

As for whether it is worth waiting, well, we are talking about a two output bin difference. So that means the XM-L2 versions are anywhere from ~8-20% brighter than the XM-L versions (~14% on average). I know a number of dealers are offering a 15% discount on old XM-L stock, so that seems like a fair price difference. Comes down to which matters to you more - a bit of wait for ~15% more output and cost, or a ~15% cost/output reduction now. In practical terms, you aren't likely to see the output difference (except maybe side-by-side, but even then it will likely be subtle).

Does anyone know the CCT of the cool and naturals leds used in these lights?
I don't have that info, but based on my previous Eageltac XM-L Cool White and Neutral White experiece, it seems like the new XM-L2s are both in a similar relative range. There's certainly nothing extreme about the XM-L2s I've seen so far (maybe more consistently on the cool end for my Cool White samples, but that's about all I can tell).

CamoNinja

Enlightened

Have the turboheads come in yet ?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Yes, they just arrived - but I am out of town the rest of the week. I hope to get around to testing everything next week. :wave:

kj2

Flashaholic

Yes, they just arrived - but I am out of town the rest of the week. I hope to get around to testing everything next week. :wave:

Waiting on the edge of my seat:popcorn:

hikingman

Enlightened

I am a little unclear about use of primary CR123As in the GX25L2. The manual makes no mention of supporting them, and lists the max voltage range as 12V (which 4x new CR123A would slightly exceed). However, the online spec sheet reports that CR123As can be used "for backup use". I haven't tested 4xCR123A in light, but this appears to indicate they can be used. :shrug:

I now have 2 of the GX models with NW tint (early versions, not L2) and love them. I took 4 Surefire CR123A's out of my Olight SR51 and for a few minutes operated the lights with them. Everything was just fine and all 4 levels worked perfectly. So my GX25L2 lights will be able to serve me well when no recharging power is available.

Dave

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

I now have 2 of the GX models with NW tint (early versions, not L2) and love them. I took 4 Surefire CR123A's out of my Olight SR51 and for a few minutes operated the lights with them. Everything was just fine and all 4 levels worked perfectly. So my GX25L2 lights will be able to serve me well when no recharging power is available.
Thanks for the first-hand account. Hopefully it is stable long-term this way.

As a general recommendation though, I would suggest you refrain from running the light for extended periods on max on 4xCR123A. In my experience, that is is pretty hard on the cells (due to their chemistry, which is different from Li-ions), and increases the risk of circuit failure and/or PTC engagement. Not being sure of the tolerances in this specific case, it is best to apply reasonable cautions.

hikingman

Enlightened

Thanks for the first-hand account. Hopefully it is stable long-term this way.

As a general recommendation though, I would suggest you refrain from running the light for extended periods on max on 4xCR123A. In my experience, that is is pretty hard on the cells (due to their chemistry, which is different from Li-ions), and increases the risk of circuit failure and/or PTC engagement. Not being sure of the tolerances in this specific case, it is best to apply reasonable cautions.

I will follow your advice SB, as there is plenty of light in the high mode below turbo and CR123A's would only be employed in rare no power situations. Since I am new to all this, is there less potential strain on the batteries because the LED's are neutral white (and less bright)?

Dave

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Since I am new to all this, is there less potential strain on the batteries because the LED's are neutral white (and less bright)?
No. :) Neutral white emitters are basically just cool white emitters with more phosphor, which "warms" the tint but lowers the overall efficiency. This is why "neutral" white emitters tend to be a lower output bin than their "cool white" comparators (i.e., they draw the same amount of power, but produce slightly less light).

The issue with 4xCR123A vs 2x18650 is how the different chemistries handle high drive currents. I have done heat measures, and know that 4xCR123A will get a lot hotter (especially the front-most cell near the circuit/emitter) than 2x18650. This is hard on both the front-most battery and the circuit, and can lead to problems. So it worthwhile limiting time in turbo/max modes on 4xCR123A, on all heavily-driven lights (even if officially supported).

hikingman

Enlightened

Thanks again, selfbuilt, for the time you took to provide this helpful & useful info. I inturn took the time to fatten your battery fund :)

CamoNinja

Enlightened

Have the turboheads come in yet ?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Eagletac GX25L2 (2x18650) & SX25L2 (2x26650) XM-L2 U2 Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHO

Yes. :) updated tables and outdoor beamshots will come next week.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Eagletac GX25L2 (2x18650) & SX25L2 (2x26650) XM-L2 U2 Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHO

I now have an SX25L2 in neutral white on my way. It is going to replace my Thrunite Catapult V3 in neutral white. This will be used when I am on duty. I recently purchased a Eagletac G25C2 Mk II in neutral white for my duty belt. It is great and I am really looking forward to having the SX25L2 with me on traffic stops and other various night-work. The Catapult was great but really needed a side-switch for how long and head-heavy it is. This will provide similar performance but will be much easier with the side-switch and also the built-in charging system, lower low, etc., makes this a superior LEO light.

Thanks for another great review that helped me to determine if this light was right for me. I will chime back in once I have it to update on my experiences.