Eagletac TX25C2 (XM-L2 1x18650 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEO, BEAMSHOTS+

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Don't you think it would have made better sense to use the more disorienting alterating version for it's proclaimed "tactical" mode?
I don't know which would be more disorienting in practice - but I suspect that without extensive training, any high frequency strobe mode is bound to be disorienting for both the operator as well as the recipient.

It's probably best to leave any discussion of the relative merits (such as they are) of these sorts of strobes to dedicated threads on their use - I am certainly not qualified to comment.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received two of these. And BOTH are not compatible with 18650's that have a positive terminal button that's wider than 7mm. Can't use my RediLasts nor my Panasonic 3400's.

The problem is the plastic white ring surrounding the positive contact terminal on the EagleTac's head spring.

I have to cut it off and probably void my warranty.

TX25C2020.jpg

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Received two of these. And BOTH are not compatible with 18650's that have a positive terminal button that's wider than 7mm. Can't use my RediLasts nor my Panasonic 3400's.
The problem is the plastic white ring surrounding the positive contact terminal on the EagleTac's head spring.
Yes, that white ring is part of what provides the reverse polarity protection. The only other concern I would have about wider button-top cells is that you need to make sure your positive top does not come into contact with the battery tube in any way, or you will short the cell (i.e., the body tubes have a smaller opening at the head-end).

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that white ring is part of what provides the reverse polarity protection. The only other concern I would have about wider button-top cells is that you need to make sure your positive top does not come into contact with the battery tube in any way, or you will short the cell (i.e., the body tubes have a smaller opening at the head-end).

That's for rev polarity protection? Sh*t :D Welp. It's not protected anymore. :sick2:

Do you know if that's the only mechanism provided for reverse polarity protection? I just shipped one of these lights "modified" to a friend. Might have to warn em.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Do you know if that's the only mechanism provided for reverse polarity protection? I just shipped one of these lights "modified" to a friend. Might have to warn em.
I don't know if there's a circuit protection feature as well. But as a general rule, when I encounter a physical reverse-polarity protection feature, I assumed there is no other kind (otherwise, they likely wouldn't have bothered with the physical one). :whistle:

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome review Selbuilt, been waiting on this one from you :).

When you say the 3400mah 18650s dont work, is it because of the button top(lack thereof) or because it physically wont fit in the tube? I ask because I am torn between the TX25c2 and G25c2. I know that the G25c2 will take 3400 panasonics but if the TX25 doesnt then that'll be the deciding factor.

biglights

Enlightened

When you say the 3400mah 18650s dont work, is it because of the button top(lack thereof) or because it physically wont fit in the tube? I ask because I am torn between the TX25c2 and G25c2. I know that the G25c2 will take 3400 panasonics but if the TX25 doesnt then that'll be the deciding factor.

I am using them in mine. Works fine..

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I don't have any 3400mAh 18650 to test, so I don't think I said that. ;) The issue is simply with the size of the positive connector on the battery - if it is too wide and shallow, it may not fit within the reverse-polarity plastic ring in the light head.

Although the G25C2 and TX25C2 have slightly different head styles, their positive contact points are very similar. If a battery works in one, I would expect it to work fine in the other.

topgun.ua

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunatelly it's not that easy... Yes, they both (G25C2 and TX25C2) normally need a button top batteries because of that plastic white ring that provides the reverse polarity protection. But at the same time G25C2 MKII has a different tailcap buit. And this cause problems with the length of the most 18650 protected cells.
It means that you can easely use a button top (protected) cells up to 70 mm. length in your TX25C2 but your G25C2 won't fit cells longer than 69 mm. or so.
I use Eagletac 3400 protected cells for my G25C2 MKII and they are one of the shortest portected (Panasonic 3400 based) cells on the market (68,3 mm.), and I'd love to use some of the (much cheaper but still very hi power) Sanyo 2600 based cells, but they are mostly longer than 69,5 mm.

Last edited:

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry selfbuilt, I was asking ledmitter. Forgot to use quote :oops:

I have to cut it off and probably void my warranty.

TX25C2020.jpg

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm using unprotected panasonic 3400's. They fit the tube fine but the positive battery button top doesn't seat into the head spring cup because the button is a few millimeters too wide.

According to selfbuilt this is Eagletac's reverse polarity feature. Most battery negative terminals are flat. That's their idea. Good in practice but not for all batteries.

I will credit Eagletac for somewhat having a warning about this on their website.

----
Battery Safety Precaution

All EagleTac flashlights are designed to use "button-top" battery (battery with protruding positive terminal). For rechargeable li-ion battery, use only EagleTac li-ion battery, or other protected li-ion battery with compatible length and diameter. Before using the battery, check and ensure the battery outer wrapping (the isolating plastic film that wraps around the metal housing of the battery) is complete. Broken battery wrapping may lead to short circuit and damage to the flashlight.

----

Regarding protected Panasonic NCR18650B's, those are double wrapped and too wide to fit many flashlight barrels. I learned my lesson with those.

Grumpy1

Newly Enlightened
Anybody know where to buy the complete accessory kit by itself? I can only find it direct from Eagletac but the international shipping almost doubles the price.

ToTo

Newly Enlightened
Anyone else notices a preflash when turning on the flashlight on low?
Didnt notice any comments about it. On mine its pretty easy vissible
:/

Last edited:

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone else notices a preflash when turning on the flashlight on low?
Didnt notice any comments about it. On mine its pretty easy visible.

I just checked mine. It has it. Never noticed it. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I also have preflash when turning on the light on Strobe . . .

rdrfronty

Enlightened
Got my TX25C2 CW in a week or so ago. Absolutely LOVE the little light. I'm amazed with the combo of lumens and throw in such a compact little light. Did a little testing on it too. My CW version measured 1090 @ 30 sec. and a throw of 21,900. Also was pleased to see my Keeppower protected 3400mah cells fit fine with no functional issues.
Selfbuilt - if you prefer no other numbers posted on your thread, feel free to delete or pm me as needed. Just was thinking others might be curious what CW's are testing at in real life.

rdrfronty

Enlightened
That's great.
Your contribution is much appreciated.
What kind of setup do you have?
Can you post a pic?
I use a PVC lightbox. It's not perfect, but I've tested perhaps 80 different lights with it, at least 1/2 of them being ANSI rated. So I have the baselines dialed in pretty well. And thus my numbers are pretty spot on.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quicky OT: Can you test a Klarus XT11 with two IMR's? If yes can you post the result? If no then nevermind...

I want to compare it to the TX25C2.

Interesting figures for the CW!

Last edited: