Electric Heated Gloves

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am starting to research electric heated gloves. Who here has them and how well do they work for you?

Do they use proprietary batteries or a more common cell?

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I embarked in the same research project eleven months ago. I searched Home Depot and decided on these: https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Work-Gear/Gloves/USB-Rechargeable-Heated-Gloves

Functionality is satisfactory, but they carried a very high price tag. I am thinking about modifying them to use normal 18650, instead of the excessively over-packaged 18650.

Prescott Arizona is not known for extreme cold winters, but I dropped 70 pounds from 233 to 163 five and a half years ago, and cold fingers is what I have to show for it, as well as no more lower back pain/sciatica.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have looked at those and I agree that they seem over priced.

Thank you for the reply. It does seem reasonable that they would use an 18650. Too bad they over-packaged them!

hsa

Enlightened
Reviews on heated gloves usually aren't very good. Maybe because of the cost. I have seen complaints about the fingers not being heated enough. Heck, that's where you need the heat. The best I have done is good mittens.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Years ago I had the pleasure of being in a Hardees restaraunt when a bunch of dudes on Harleys stopped in for lunch. It was Kyle Petty and several comrads launching out on his ride across America to raise money they did every year.

The guy with me says "holy crap, there's Harry Gant and Rayford (from the John Boy and Billy show) and"…… as he kept naming people I said "hmm, that's cool but this is a mighty good burger". He wanted autographs. I just wanted to sit there and watch these dudes do what famous people do in small town USA at a burger joint.

So Kyle keeps going on about how cold he was even though he kept adding clothes. Rayford says "old Harry don't look like he's cold at all". It seems they kept stopping to add more layers but Harry Gant apparently did not. They kept on and on about it as Harry quietly enjoyed his chilly dog. Finally somebody said "Harry, how in the world are you not cold, you've got to be at least a little uncomfortable". Harry paused eating his chili dog and says "well those electric gloves are burning my hand a little"…… they busted into a chorus "what?!? you're wearing electric gloves?!?" He says "I'm wearing an electric suit, why aren't yall?"

To me the best part was a few days later on the John Boy and Billy show Rayford told that story. Now I didn't listen to the John Boy and Billy show but when I told some coworkers (who did) what had happened they did not believe me. Later they all said "man that must have been awesome, why didn't you get autographs?" I replied "they're just people like us who wanted lunch without being pestered for attention".

I learned a long time ago a pair of well broken in Mechannix Impact gloves are about all I need where I live. Now for riding a motorcycle or flying down a lake on a fast fishing boat I suppose electric gloves would be a benefit.

Diluth Trading Company sells items for extreme conditions like ice fishing.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
I've used Active Heat battery powered glove liners and gloves. The gloves are a bit bulky. The liners work very well under your own glove. The harness has a 3-position switch and most of the time, I'm on Medium. The sewn up fabric packs are using 18650s. When the first set of cells died, I opened up the fabric and rebuilt the "pack" using my own high cap cells and reusing the tiny BMS. I have Reynauds so my fingers are always cold and on rides, they are very cold without the glove liners.