Eneloop HR-3UTG: 6
Eneloop HR-3UTGA: 14
Eneloop HR-4UTGA: 2

joeparker54

Newly Enlightened
no name brand eneloops - too cheap

24 duraloop AA's
16 duraloop AAA's

and many, many, many more cells of other brands - at least 30 hybrids.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

Where is the best place to buy these things in both sizes ....

At the lowest cost ?

They're kinda expensive .

~

I just bought an 8 pack of the Sanyo Eneloop AA batteries at Amazon for $20. One of the Target stores near me is selling a 4 pack of the AA Duraloops for about $10.50.

Before you buy Duraloops, make sure that you can tell the difference between them and the relabeled Ray-o-Vacs. Most stores, like Target, sell them for the exact same price on the same display rack. It will be up to you to pick out the right ones because the guys and gals working there will be clueless, I guarantee.

Be careful if you're buying Eneloops online too because there have been several reports from CPF members that were ripped off and sold completely fake Eneloops. Honestly, I would avoid all eBay sellers, Deal Extreme, and Kaidomain, even if they have rock bottom prices on Eneloops. They were where CPF members were sold phony ones. I bought my first 2 packs of Eneloops at Battery Junction and they were the real deals.

fabienne

Enlightened
20 Eneloop AA
12 Powerex Imedion AA
12 Powerex Maha AA (Not LSD)
12 Powerex Imedion AAA

Most of the AA is used either Battery pack + Canon 580EX2 flash or battery grip of Canon DSLR which takes 6 AA. Most of my flashlights are either using 18650, RCR123 or 14500.

Just wondering whether it makes more sense to have more LSD instead of Hi-capacity (non LSD) so that we'll be able to squeeze more juice out of LSD instead of recharging non-LSD battery in the beginning of every photo assignment.

edelbrock

Newly Enlightened
I have bought a lot of the Duracell Rechargables from Amazon at pretty good prices. I have always received white topped Duraloops from them but i guess there is still a chance to get the black topped Rayovacs.
~

Where is the best place to buy these things in both sizes ....

At the lowest cost ?

They're kinda expensive .

~

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
8 Eneloops
8 Duraloops

I am in the process of getting rid of the Duraloops and replace them with Eneloops. Duraloops are on sale all the time. There is a reason for that.

h2xblive

Enlightened
I have 0 Duraloop AAs
I have 20 "shiny label" (new) eneloop AAs
I have 26 "clear label" (original) eneloop AAs
I have 12 "clear label" (original) eneloops AAAs

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think they are the same.
Sorry, but you're completely wrong.

As to why "Duraloops are on sale all the time" is because Duracell likes to move their product in a competitive way. :rolleyes: Sanyo isn't so much interested in the US market since Duracell already has it covered for them...that's why Eneloops are rare to see on shelves.

The absolute fact is that Duracell does not own a NiMh battery factory, so SOMEBODY has to make them...IE Sanyo.

brted

Enlightened
why does everyone have sooooo many?

I had so many batteries I had to buy a label maker to keep them straight. But it uses AAA batteries, so I had to buy more batteries . . .

12 AA Eneloops and 12 AA Duraloops

12 AAA Eneloops and 20 AAA Duraloops

core

Newly Enlightened
The absolute fact is that Duracell does not own a NiMh battery factory, so SOMEBODY has to make them...

No argument there.

...IE Sanyo.

Now hold on there, that's quite a leap of logic. While I would tend to agree with you (and everyone else), I have yet to see one shred of proof to back this up. Actually I haven't even read any "friend of a friend who works for Duracell told me..." accounts to date.

I'll agree that they behave exactly the same. For some folks, that's good enough for them right there. (A difference which makes no difference is no difference?) But I don't see why that must mean that they are made exactly the same, by the same people. Even coming from the same factory doesn't mean they are made from the same stuff. And what about corporate espionage?

All I'm saying is I'd like to see some data. I realize most people don't care -- as long as it works exactly the same. But always remember...

"I can't believe it's not polish sausage!"

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now hold on there, that's quite a leap of logic. While I would tend to agree with you (and everyone else), I have yet to see one shred of proof to back this up. Actually I haven't even read any "friend of a friend who works for Duracell told me..." accounts to date.
This is a company secret, you're never going to find that out. Whoever tells you already signed a non disclosure agreement and they would likely end up in the hole for several million dollars. You might as well ask the president if aliens are real.

Now, let's look at the facts. There are only a handful of companies out there who can truely produce good quality NiMh cells. If you limit that to Japan, there aren't many others than Sanyo. (name one other)

The other problem is that to make such good quality batteries as the Duracells, you have to be a good company, with good technology. Again, Sanyo comes to mind. There have been many, many other companies try to knock off the LSD cell, NOBODY to date has come up with anything better than the Eneloop. Except Duracell - but they don't have a factory. See where I'm going? Then, to top it off, it comes in exactly the same can, with the same negative and positive contacts, same length and diameter, and even the same white insulator on top!

Come on now, don't **** on my leg and tell me it's raining!

Maybe they are made by Sanyo but with a different mix of ingredients or other different process? Bull****. If that was true why would they perform exactly the same?

In the end, it doesn't matter, unless you're an anal freak about your labels. If you take the label off of an Eneloop, and the label off of a Duraloop, and hand them to a battery expert to analyze, he won't be able to tell you the difference even with a gun to his head.

The only other battery manufacturer I know of in Japan with any good technology or money behind them is Sony, and, as far as I know they don't make LSD NiMh cells. Are there any other reputable NiMh manufacturers located in Japan?

Also, like I said, this is why you don't see Eneloop batteries piled up on the shelves everywhere. Duracell is doing that for Sanyo. Sanyo has the factory, Duracell has the distribution network. Notice they never compete against eachother like all the other brands do? Why doesn't Sanyo try to cut Duracell's throat like Energizer and Rayovac does? And why doesn't Sanyo market the Eneloop in the US the same way they do in Europe? I can honestly say I've never even seen an Eneloop in a retail store, ever.

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone here been in the factory where they put Sanyo and Duracell labels on the same battery?

Has either company confirmed that their batteries the same?

As for the opinion that Sanyo doesn't care about the US market because Duracell is selling their batteries for them, again has either company confirmed this?

That's pretty absurd when you think about it. Sanyo sharing its Eneloop technology with Duracell without getting any recognition is like Chevy allowing some other company to stick their own label on the Corvette without giving Chevy any credit. How likely is that?

By the way, Sanyo Eneloops are sold at Fry's and many online retailers.

Last edited:

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's pretty absurd when you think about it. Sanyo sharing its Eneloop technology with Duracell without getting any recognition is like Chevy allowing some other company to stick their own label on the Corvette without giving Chevy any credit. How likely is that?
LOL, you have no idea what you're talking about. Sanyo is not "sharing technology" with Duracell. Duracell DOES NOT make rechargeable batteries of any kind. Every recharageable they sell is rebranded from another company.

As for your Chevy comparison, GM sold engines to many other (competing) auto manufacturers and all sorts of other equipment. (without giving them credit) "Mercury Marine" brand boat engines, for example, are actually made by GM with a Mercury paint job.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone here been in the factory where they put Sanyo and Duracell labels on the same battery?

Has either company confirmed that their batteries the same?
Anybody who has witnessed this has likely signed a non disclosure agreement. You will not here from them. The factory will NOT ever confirm this, it is a trade secret.

It is an indisputable fact that Duracell "Pre-Charged" batteries are manufactured by a company that is in Japan that is NOT Duracell. Who else has the technology to do so if not Sanyo?