• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired EOI: LED trilux bike light prototype *CLOSED*

greenLED

Flashaholic
Re: COSTING: LED trilux bike light prototype

Darell said:
The P4 is the more advanced package of the two, as far as I understand it.
...but far from a drop-in replacement to a Lux. It may look like a Lux but they physical dimensions are different and the slug is not electrically isolated, so the optical solution won't be easy and the connections need to be isolated.

Darell

Flashaholic

greenLED said:
...but far from a drop-in replacement to a Lux. It may look like a Lux but they physical dimensions are different and the slug is not electrically isolated, so the optical solution won't be easy and the connections need to be isolated.
Not all THAT far, though certainly not identical. Yes, the isolation is a PITA. I know a guy named Don who's got some optical solutions worked out...

ktronik

Enlightened

Hey thanks for clearing that up for me guys... :)

For me I will be going luxeons... better the devil you know a...

but really could do either, once I get the P4 proto done...

best

Ktronik

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll be interested in one kit...

ktronik

Enlightened

Nice one guys... the alloy will turn up next week after crissy...

So lets start a interest list:

HEAD ONLY KIT (SS screws, lens & HB clamp in 6000 series alloy, Raw polished):

Icarus 1 or 2 (luxeon, battery)

AndyTiedye 1 (XR-E)
monkeyboy 1 (XR-E)

Darell 1 (P4, battery)

gregw
baylisstic
flex76italy

first run will be luxeon only, to fit IMS20 reflectors as I am already tooled up for this. If there is a next run it will be XR-E or P4's depending on numbers.
The rear section will be tooled for dyno power or drivers (battery power).
Any more or wrong info on this post please let me know.

thanks

Ktronik

Last edited:

ktronik

Enlightened

A pic of the mirror finnish on the polished 2000 series heads...

mirror%20fin.jpg

mirror2.jpg

I must say after getting the two test units yesterday, I am very impressed! A lot of work has gone into these to make sure the front & rear plates match perfectly, this means the whole thing is 'dunkable' to say the least...

They guy who make them is a true pro.

best

Ktronik

Last edited:

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks great! Will it come with O-rings to increase water resistance?

I believe that McR-20 reflectors will also fit if it is made to fit an IMS20, but to be sure, you can check the dimensions of the McR-20 here. Also, based on Don's post here it seems to be relatively easy to make the McR-20 compatible with the SSC P4 emitter by simply removing .030" from the bottom of the reflector..

I'll most likely end up using a bFlex or MaxFlex on this, and was wondering where is the location for the switch?

Last edited:

Darell

Flashaholic

gregw said:
I'll most likely end up using a bFlex or MaxFlex on this, and was wondering where is the location for the switch?
Greg -

(man your daughter is growing up!) You'll want to use bFlex, almost for certain. I'm working with george on a bicycle-specific UI for that unit.

ktronik

Enlightened

gregw said:
Looks great! Will it come with O-rings to increase water resistance?

I asked the same question, about o-rings... the CNC machinist asures me that they don't need it... the 6hr 'dunktest' was then performed... with 100% NO LEAKS.

He also said "i can drill for your switch when you get the size -
If people will be using bFlex -could maybe make an extra option of o'ringed pushbutton and mounts on rear cover to suit"
He is a top guy & can really do anything.

Good news on the reflectors for the P4, looks like the re-tool will be easier that I thought...I will try to get some p4's off Hotbeam for a p4 proto.

Any idea's on 'slug isolation' for the p4 emitter? I would like the emitter to be swapable, so I can upgrade the bin if needed, I have done this with the luxeon unit. So AA not really an option...

thanks

Ktronik

Darell

Flashaholic

Forgive me, for I have sinned. I took my bike UI discussion over to a bicycle board instead of CPF! The thinking here was that CPF folks tend to be MOSTLY into flashlights, where the biking folks are into... biking! And need lights.

So you can join in the discussion here if you'd like. You'll need to register to post, of course.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=252933

Or start a new thread on CPF, and make sure you point me to it! We're testing the UI already. The only part I'm still up in the air on is the dang strobe mode. I had things that flash, but also realize the utility of it for bikes in low-light situations where they need to be seen (as opposed to needing to see).

I'm going to be gone over the weekend, so there won't be much communication from me. But this UIB is for real, and coming to a bFlex near you soon!

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast

Darell, so we will find it at Georges Homepage when it is realized, or will it be a limited run?

Thanks and best regards

_____
Tom

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice Ktronik! Now..... all I need is a ........ b.i.k.e :D :D

ktronik

Enlightened

hotbeam said:
Very nice Ktronik! Now..... all I need is a ........ b.i.k.e :D :D

Bikes rule in Melbourne, I was a bike courier, down there, for a few years, you can't beat it in the CBD... :)

K

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Darell said:
Greg -

(man your daughter is growing up!) You'll want to use bFlex, almost for certain. I'm working with george on a bicycle-specific UI for that unit.

Darell,

(yes, she's growing up faster than I can imagine! :) ) I won't be using this light on a bike as intended, but as a shoulder mounted light for night hiking with the guys.. :grin2:

I'm thinking of using the MaxFlex because my power source will be a 10.8V (3S2P 18650) 4400mah pack of Li-ion and the voltage probably won't be high enough to use the bFlex, since I intend to wire these in series and not have to worry about trying to match the Vf of the emitters...

Tiny

Newly Enlightened

I'm interested in one, what's the pricing and mounting like? Anyway to make a stem mount? With the current crop of riser bars, there isn't much space to mount the lights on without it being tilted to one side.

And what kind of voltage/ current draw does this light require?

ktronik

Enlightened

Hey Tiny,

First run will be for luxeon stars... you can but just the head unit around US$110 & fill it with what you want... or a premade kit... for dynamo or battery powered...price & details is dependant on what you wnat in it...the most simple is 3/ 3w leds + a CC5w driver 500ma/ 1000ma switch with a 12v battery...

the mount I have is a handle bar mount, don't know about a stem mount @ this stage, but totaly doable...

Best

Ktronik

Last edited:

Darell

Flashaholic

Long John said:
Darell, so we will find it at Georges Homepage when it is realized, or will it be a limited run?
The bFlex is already offered on George's page. When it is available with the bicycle UI, I promise to post here. We plan for this UI to be offered for quite some time. And it will NOT be a special run - it'll be an additional UI available on the circuit. Yup, a choice of three in one!

Darell

Flashaholic

gregw said:
Darell,

(yes, she's growing up faster than I can imagine! :) ) I won't be using this light on a bike as intended, but as a shoulder mounted light for night hiking with the guys.. :grin2:

I'm thinking of using the MaxFlex because my power source will be a 10.8V (3S2P 18650) 4400mah pack of Li-ion and the voltage probably won't be high enough to use the bFlex, since I intend to wire these in series and not have to worry about trying to match the Vf of the emitters...
No need to match Vf's. As long as what you use is below your pack V, you're good to go on any of these. The bFlex will work just dandy, and that's how I plan to use the circuie!