Even my dogs are flashaholics...

ScooterBug

Enlightened
i have to come up with something like this. i just open the door and let them out. my cloest neighbor is 1/2 mile away. would be good to look out the door and see 4 lights running across the back field. :grin2:

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Vee3 said:
I need something for my three cats.

Something low-light LED, a different color for each of them that would turn on when they move. I often have to break up play time or fights at night, and usually just swing "The Punisher" (My pillow) indiscriminately. It would be nice to find out who is actually instigating the problem and put them in jail (Spare bedroom) accordingly...

Glowrings - My female has a pink one, my male a blue one

Raptor#

Newly Enlightened
xtalman said:
Now whenever I pick one up they try to stick their heads through the headlamp collar - even if they already have a headlamp on!
See what you have done to them, they're already full-blown flashaholics - They want MORE LIGHT!!! :clap: :goodjob:

cheapo said:
WHat is the runtime on that thing?
I'd guess about 1-2 hours on a can of dogfood. :D

frasera

Newly Enlightened
heh my dog has a puplight, its like a petzl for dogs, got it on sale last year from a hsn sale i saw on fatwallet. quite bright for the price actually.

you know those doggie packs for hiking? you could strap a maglite to each side for headlights:)

xtalman

Newly Enlightened
ynggrsshppr said:
Hehe, I love this. Have you gotten any comments on the street?

People loved it! Especially kids. It brought smiles to peoples faces, and oncoming traffic would give us extra room and slow down to get a better look.

Unfortunately, the two dogs I did this with died of old age in March. They loved the night-time walks and would get excited as soon as I picked those headlamps up.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear about your loss, Xtalman. My dog passed away almost a year ago, and I'm still having a tough time dealing with it.

On a lighter note, I'm still getting a kick out of these pictures! And if this thread saves just one dog, it's worth it's weight in gold... not that you can weigh a thread... lol.

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
xtalman said:
Take one dog and one River Rock 0.5W headlamp...
Compared to a MiniMag:

So... what breed of dog makes the best "mod host?" Is it a drop-in, or do you have to bore them out or solder anything? Is heat management an issue, and if so, would a thermal pathway through the tongue help? What type of belt holster works best? Are there any plans for something high-end, like a Ti-Poodle CE? :grin2:

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
jnj1033 said:
So... what breed of dog makes the best "mod host?"

Your larger breeds work better -- they can carry larger power sources...

;-)

chelsea-outside-somelight1-800x600.jpg

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamshots:
normalimg08273nn.jpg

Seriously man, LOLz on the beamshot! It's good you got him to pose long enough to take the beamshot! :) I've seen hundreds of beamshots of various lights, but this one with the silhouette of your pet's head simply FTW!!! :)

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome. Just awesome. Sadly we ruined our work doggy. My co-worker and I would get the dog to chase lasers. I helped by using ridiculously bright lights. It go so bad my boss had to say something. He was walking the dog and the sun caught the dog's tag just right to reflect and shine on the ground. The dog went crazy and chased the reflection.

Adding a light to the collar would be an unending nightmare.

I did try a little Ceasar Millan Dog Whisperer techniques to wean the dog off light. But it is temporary. My boss needs to take charge. but alas he doesnt bother.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
[...]He was walking the dog and the sun caught the dog's tag just right to reflect and shine on the ground. The dog went crazy and chased the reflection.

Adding a light to the collar would be an unending nightmare.[...]

:crackup::crackup::crackup:The flashaholic version of chasing your own tail, but with this one you're actually going somewhere!

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Sadly we ruined our work doggy. My co-worker and I would get the dog to chase lasers. I helped by using ridiculously bright lights. It go so bad my boss had to say something. He was walking the dog and the sun caught the dog's tag just right to reflect and shine on the ground. The dog went crazy and chased the reflection.

I've seen this happen with quite a few different dogs - it is almost always a very bad idea. I think the fast moving aspect taps into most dog's primitive hunting instinct and they just can't help themselves, they just have to chase. I see a similar thing with dogs fixated on chasing water from a hose.

I use a small flashing light (the sort that run of button cells) dangling off the dog's collar - but none of my dogs chase moving lights (if they did I'd use a steady light or something like the latest LED "shoelaces).

I find it very helpful to have a light of some kind on my dogs if they are walking off lead at night - for me, the dogs don't seem to need any help to see quite well in the dark.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the work doggy was mine, I would spend the time to wean the dog off the light chasing. I have watched a LOT of Ceaser Milan and think that his approach to unwanted behavior is rather well structured and easy to perform. The only difficult part is the dedication. You have to be a responsible dog owner and be conscience of your dog's behavior. If it just starts to fixate on the light, then you gotta snap the dog out of it. It has to be reinforced over and over and in multiple situations. But I think eventually the dog will learn.

I didnt have the time to do this with the work doggy. But I was able to teach the dog to respect my space and food. Whenever my boss or co-workers get food at the microwave or fridge and eats food at work the dog hovers and begs for food.

I do not stand for that. I always have the dog sit far away from my personal space when im getting food or eating it. Only when i feel like it, do I invite the dog over to have a scrap of food. Just like how a pack leader should.
The dog picked this up pretty quickly.

My boss and co-workers were surprised that I could get the dog to listen to me. It is pretty simple. Dont have a conversation with the dog. Dont treat the dog as a person. It is a dog. Short simple sounds, like Ceaser Milan, projection of your energy and the dog will pick up on it. however this only applies when disciplining unwanted behavior. you can love and talk to your dog all you want. But if the dog is doing something you dont agree with or you want to stop, then you have to treat the dog as a dog. You are the pack leader. Simple as that. The dog MUST obey and follow you.

Last edited:

Latest posts