EX10 (1xCR123A) and D10 (1xAA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dracodoc

Newly Enlightened
I believe the current draw from the circuit is because of the MCU, not the memory. The memory mode was stored in non-versatile memory, so it doesn't need power to keep it. In fact you can change battery and it will still be there, 4sevens mentioned this in his video.

And I think you can twist the head loose to avoid the current draw.
EDIT: I would also like to see them do away with the memory (or whatever causes the processor to draw power when off) Lithium batteries have a shelf life of 10 years............unless you store them in this light! With the ability to start out on either low or high the memory function could easily have been left out. This is the only thing keeping me from ordering right now.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Hi all,

I'll be doing detailed reviews of both these lights once they are out, and will include beamshot and output/runtime comparisons to all the "usual suspects" ;)

No idea on timeline yet, but I'll get the reviews done as quickly as possible upon receipt.

In terms of output, I would expect these new lights to be similar to the NDI, based on everything that's been released so far. Using my Novatac 120P as a calibration standard, I'd estimate the NDI's initial output to be ~110 lumens on NiMH and ~130 lumens on 14500.

Using that same methodology, my Extreme is ~170 lumens on CR123A, and ~180 lumens on RCR initially. The P2D would be ~165/170 lumens respectively on those batteries. Oh, and in case you are interested, the 120P calibration standard comes in at 120/125 lumens (naturally enough, since primaries on the 120P is my lumen standard ;). I have a discussion of that lumen calibration of my output numbers in post #2 of my new 1xCR123A/RCR round-up review.

Personally, I find ~130 lumens max to be quite acceptable (and appropriate) for single-cell EDC lights, given the flux output of current emitters. Above that, and excessive heat and battery discharge rates are a concern in 1xCR123A/RCR lights.

Looking forward to handling these beauties - thanks again to 4sevens and Edgetac for producing these new Nitecores. :thumbsup:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, selfbuilt. That's great news indeed! The EX10 and D10 really are some great looking lights, and though I've been selling more than buying recently, I wasted no time in jumping in for an EX10 (and it was all I could do to hold back---for now---on a D10 as well). I think I might've bought one based on the knurling alone!

To know that you will be generously lending your expertise to a full going over of these beauties is great to hear. Your reviews really are the gold standard, and I look forward to both your objective data and charts and your subjective opinions of the EX10 and the D10.

Cheers,

Andrew

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, so much discussions about these two lights ... anyway, have you guys seens this response from 4-7 over at the marketplace?

"We just hit 400 pre-orders to process. Even my mom will be there to help pack! <sniply snip>

One more thing... a few cool features (or you may call them easter eggs) in these two lights... In tactical mode (bezel loosened), a gentle press will turn it on at the last setting. Pushing all the way will make it jump to maximum! (and set the level at maximum)"

That's pretty cool :thumbsup:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
"We just hit 400 pre-orders to process. Even my mom will be there to help pack! <sniply snip>

that makes me happy since I ordered last night- worried I'd have missed the first 500 boat for leaving it too long :)

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamshots...waste of time...as 4-7's said

RT graphs, now you're talking

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:eek:.. Beamshots are never a waste of time....

the more the better !

We've waited long enough for em

They should always be in the 1st sales post as vital info

Watchguy

Newly Enlightened
Just about bought an NDI until I saw the D-10. Pulled the trigger last night and can hardly wait till it gets here.

Simple UI (no funky "week point" switches), simple power (AA), simple casing (nice size, good knurling). I like simple, what more could you want.:thumbsup:

Good thing CPF was around otherwise I would never have known I needed this lite.:laughing:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally, I can afford a piston light that does not cost three, four, or five hundred dollars. WoooHooo!

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
... can hardly wait till it gets here.

That is the same with me. Just order the EX10 and can't wait anymore :sigh:. What I really like about the EX10 is that they didn't make it a 180lm-flashlight and therefore they made the runtime longer. So perfect for a EDC-flashlight.

rayman

tobushomme

Newly Enlightened
BEAMSHOTS, BEAMSHOTS - WE WANT BEAMSHOTS
:clap::popcorn::party::candle::twak::santa::wow::duck::sweat::hahaha::clap::wave::poke:

BEAMSHOTS, BEAMSHOTS - WE WANT BEAMSHOTS

:knight:gimme rt-graphs!

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is the same with me. Just order the EX10 and can't wait anymore :sigh:. What I really like about the EX10 is that they didn't make it a 180lm-flashlight and therefore they made the runtime longer. So perfect for a EDC-flashlight.

rayman

Perhaps it is just my logic but I say why not make it push the LED as hard as is thermally possible on any infinitely variable torch? If you want run time you back it off of max... Artificially limiting the max output for the sake of runtime alone seems silly to me..

m16a

Enlightened
Well, to be politically correct, I have to say no. However, you'll probably be OK. :) Just don't run the cell down too far (2.7-2.8 Volts), and, if after it rests a while, it doesn't read at least 2.7 Volts, DON'T TRY TO CHARGE IT!!!!

The biggest danger with Li-Ions that have been over discharged, is when you go to charge them. Then you could run into "venting with flame", or "exploding" as I call it! That doesn't mean something couldn't go wrong, just that it's unlikely. That said, I would highly recommend getting some protected cells as soon as possible.

Again, no you can't safely.

Officially, I never made this post. :)

Dave

Edited: Blind people shouldn't try to type!

I POSTED THIS IN THE MARKETPLACE THREAD, BUT THOUGHT IT BETTER TO POST HERE, SINCE I WILL PROBABLY GET A FASTER ANSWER:twothumbs

Ok, so if I don't overuse it, I will be ok. So if I say, fully charge it and pop it in before I leave, then use the light maaaaybe 20 minutes in sporadic times along the day, and then charge it freshly at night for the next morning, will it ever drop below 2.7? Should I be ok if I do it like that? If not, will I be severely limited just using NiMh's?

mighty82

Enlightened
Every time the voltage gets too low, the cell will loose capacity. If it get's too low it's unusable. But it's all up to you if you want to take the chance on using unprotected cells, that's your decision. But why not buy some protected cells?

m16a

Enlightened
Every time the voltage gets too low, the cell will loose capacity. If it get's too low it's unusable. But it's all up to you if you want to take the chance on using unprotected cells, that's your decision. But why not buy some protected cells?

Because I am absolutely broke. In my world, a $59 purchase is huge. Funny to say this, but this is THE most expensive light I will own.

Status
Not open for further replies.