EX10 broken!!

Moonshadow

Enlightened
'Tactical' lights can literally 'break'?? :huh:

I'd think twice before considering them to be 'premium' brand again... :thinking:

No need to worry. This was a problem on some early units but has since been redesigned so should no longer be a concern. Anyway, they are going to replace it which is the correct thing.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
'Tactical' lights can literally 'break'?? :huh:

I'd think twice before considering them to be 'premium' brand again... :thinking:

broken means its broken. are they going to weld it back together again and hope it lasts for a year so they can charge you next time? i don't like the sounds of it.... 'repair'... :thumbsdow replace sounds more like it.

Since when was the EX10 marketed as a tactical light? It is more like a general usage light than a tactical light. And since when did Nitecore market themselves as a premium brand? We CPFers are the one who kept promoting Nitecore as a premium brand. And in case you don't know, the weak frame which causes the treads to break away only happens in some early batches and this issue has already been corrected.

In any case, when a company mentions repair, they may not necessarily mean it literally. Just take Surefire for example, they replaced the unit in some cases even though they ask you to send it in for repair. So please find out more info before you start slamming as it doesn't look good on yourself either.

corvettesR1

Enlightened
Thanks for posting this information. I have an EX10 on order from 4 sevens now .Ill be very careful with the threads on the light incase its one of the older versions.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, i just received an email from Nitecore today (11th Jan 2010) asking for my delivery address so that they can send back my light, will wait for it to be delivered and see what they did to it. Chances are they probably just took out the LED pill and chucked it in another head and sent it back, good enough for me.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting this information. I have an EX10 on order from 4 sevens now .Ill be very careful with the threads on the light incase its one of the older versions.
Your new EX10 should be ok. It only happens on the ones made with Osram's Golden Dragon Plus LED if I recall correctly. I have one but so far have yet to encounter any problems. At most I would just revert to the Q5 version. I don't own the R2 or SP version though.

If you had ordered the SP version you can be assured that the body has been made stronger.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mate. :)

02082009822-1.jpg

Can you see the "high quality flashlight"?

It's the way they portrayed it that led me to onto an impression that its a "tactical light", but OK, I admit it wasn't advertised as so, you can slam me for that, you look great by doing that. ;)

Did Nitecore say it'll only happen to the first batch, or are you assuming? (I don't know any better, just asking)

As for what they said, the matter who WHO says it. You may think that what Nitecore says and what Surefire says has the same weighting, but i beg to differ.

anyway, cheers.

Since when was the EX10 marketed as a tactical light? It is more like a general usage light than a tactical light. And since when did Nitecore market themselves as a premium brand? We CPFers are the one who kept promoting Nitecore as a premium brand. And in case you don't know, the weak frame which causes the treads to break away only happens in some early batches and this issue has already been corrected.

In any case, when a company mentions repair, they may not necessarily mean it literally. Just take Surefire for example, they replaced the unit in some cases even though they ask you to send it in for repair. So please find out more info before you start slamming as it doesn't look good on yourself either.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mate. :)

02082009822-1.jpg

Can you see the "high quality flashlight"?

It's the way they portrayed it that led me to onto an impression that its a "tactical light", but OK, I admit it wasn't advertised as so, you can slam me for that, you look great by doing that. ;)

Did Nitecore say it'll only happen to the first batch, or are you assuming? (I don't know any better, just asking)

As for what they said, the matter who WHO says it. You may think that what Nitecore says and what Surefire says has the same weighting, but i beg to differ.

anyway, cheers.
Please excuse me for saying this. You mentioned "premium" brand first. A brand is a different thing compared to a particular model of a light they make. And I am very certain that Nitecore did not mention themselves to be a premium brand. Some companies like Nikon and Canon makes superb high-end cameras that are very robust for the professionals but they do have entry level cameras that have seen a lot of failures. Does that mean both companies are not of premium branding and that they make 'lousy' products?

As to Nitecore stating that the EX10 is a high quality flashlight, IMHO it is true to be of high quality. From what I gather in CPF, only a small handful of 3 to 4 have encountered this issue out of the hundreds or a thousand that was made. Even Surefire fails once in a while. In fact any man made products may fail. That does not mean Nitecore lights are of no quality. I have dropped my EX10 GDP version a few times and it did not crack and I believe this breaking issue to be secluded to some production batches only. But that does not mean I am not keeping my fingers crossed. Like I said, all man made items may fail or break. At least we all know that Nitecore stands behind their products and I think that is all that counts.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
tell me the last time you've even heard of an aluminium flashlight that has physically broken in half?

I'm not going to argue with you whether i said "premium brand" or whatever first. I talk about what COUNTS.

I think nitecore produces outstanding products and is a respectable brand, apparently.
But one thing is for sure- I'd think twice before pulling any trigger on their products. If you're happy with a design that can break in half anytime, good for you.

cheers.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Berry - I'm not sure what your beef is here.

You have been told several times that this was a problem that only affected a few lights from early production runs and that has been resolved a long time ago. If you want more background on this the search function is there for you.

The current EX10s do not have ". . . a design that can break in half anytime . . ." .

Please give it a rest.

batmanacw

Enlightened
tell me the last time you've even heard of an aluminium flashlight that has physically broken in half?

I'm not going to argue with you whether i said "premium brand" or whatever first. I talk about what COUNTS.

I think nitecore produces outstanding products and is a respectable brand, apparently.
But one thing is for sure- I'd think twice before pulling any trigger on their products. If you're happy with a design that can break in half anytime, good for you.

cheers.

Mine has hit concrete from 5 feet up about 20 times so far. Its the consequence of having thick clumsy fingers. Fortunately the clip covered up most of the damage.:sigh:

I think they must have solved the issue.

corvettesR1

Enlightened
My new Ex10 arrived today. The threads seem to be strong and the light works fine. I do notice that to active the light ,a pretty firm pressure on the switch is needed... More than my LF3XT. Hope the switch can work in some and soften up a bit but other than that, im happy with R

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
My new Ex10 arrived today. The threads seem to be strong and the light works fine. I do notice that to active the light ,a pretty firm pressure on the switch is needed... More than my LF3XT. Hope the switch can work in some and soften up a bit but other than that, im happy with R
Try to clean up some of the lub on the piston. After that, apply some DeOxit and it should be easier to press on the piston. I did that about a year back and the piston still feels smooth even today. I have not lubricated the piston ever since and may do so later today.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here...

I dropped mine from about 4 foot on a hardwood floor and it broke...:shakehead

The body is so thin, this light is rated ''not reliable unless used in a padded environment''...:duh2:

The driver and the piston was supposed to make that light bulletproof... yeah right... I never seen an AL body so fragile...

Mine died from a drop like this as well, but it was something in the light engine that broke and not the body. Funny smell and no light. Will take it apart later to see if it is fixable, but I somehow doubt it:ohgeez:

Sverre

Moonshadow

Enlightened
My new Ex10 arrived today. The threads seem to be strong and the light works fine. I do notice that to active the light ,a pretty firm pressure on the switch is needed.
Mine was like that - felt like it needed a herd of elephants to stand on the piston. As pjandyho recommended a good clean and relube will help. I also ended up cutting half a coil from the wide end of the spring inside the far end of the piston. This has improved things no end, although it's still stiffer than my D10.

corvettesR1

Enlightened
Thanks for the advice to help with the switch .I will need to purchase some Deoxit but I can certainly clean the piston today .I really appreciate it .

corvettesR1

Enlightened
Its seems to me that if EVERYONE is cleaning/lubing there EX10s due to an overly stiff switch,maybe Nitecore needs to address this problem at the factory. PS I just emailed Nitecore about this condition and will wait to see if I get any reply.The Liteflux flashlight switches work like a dream compared to the EX10.

Last edited:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Yes - I was thinking about the reason for the thick blue gunge on the piston.

Perhaps it's very hot where the factory is located, so the blue lubricant might be quite thin there, but it gloops up when shipped to us here in the cold !