Fake Cree T6?

Poor

Newly Enlightened
I have what I am pretty sure is a fake XML T6 light from eBay. Advertised as 1600 lumen torch. The actual item says CREE and Ultrafire on it. Maybe not counterfeit, and maybe it is CREE, but it is only 3.5x3.5mm. When tightly focused, it shows 3 lines and 2 corners blocked, so I think it is really a XP-E. Not very happy. I wasn't expecting 1600 lumen, but I was happy with another XM-L T6 light I had but wanted something without an external battery. XML should be 5x5mm according to spec, and that's the size of my other light. So fake in the sense that it was advertised as a XML but I didn't really get an XML.

Can someone please confirm my speculation?

Got to find a new torch now.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Um, CREE is an LED not a flashlight, so if the flashlight says its a CREE its a knock off anyway.

:D

All those el cheapo lights are "value engineered" IE: Garbage as far as QA/QC, but, that merely means that some of them are going to light at least, and, some won't....and NONE of them will be well made.

For that price point, all you want is for light to come out at least one end.

Poor

Newly Enlightened
Um, CREE is an LED not a flashlight, so if the flashlight says its a CREE its a knock off anyway.

I'm assuming you're responding to me, since I was the only person who mentioned CREE branding on a torch. I asked a specific question about the emitter, not the brand of the torch. So if you are responding to me, are you trying to say that if a torch says CREE on the side, it has a fake CREE emitter?

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have what I am pretty sure is a fake XML T6 light from eBay. Advertised as 1600 lumen torch. The actual item says CREE and Ultrafire on it. Maybe not counterfeit, and maybe it is CREE, but it is only 3.5x3.5mm. When tightly focused, it shows 3 lines and 2 corners blocked, so I think it is really a XP-E. Not very happy. I wasn't expecting 1600 lumen, but I was happy with another XM-L T6 light I had but wanted something without an external battery. XML should be 5x5mm according to spec, and that's the size of my other light. So fake in the sense that it was advertised as a XML but I didn't really get an XML.

Can someone please confirm my speculation?

Got to find a new torch now.

It's definitely not an XM-L. If it has 3 vertical lines inside the box it's an XPG. If it has 2 then its an XPE or XRE. You can dig up the LED recognition thread with all the pictures of the emitters to confirm.

It's likely an authentic CREE emitter... just not the one that was advertised when you bought the light.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I'm assuming you're responding to me, since I was the only person who mentioned CREE branding on a torch. I asked a specific question about the emitter, not the brand of the torch. So if you are responding to me, are you trying to say that if a torch says CREE on the side, it has a fake CREE emitter?

I'm trying to say that at that point, its wondering if its imitation margarine or real margarine, not if its butter.

It doesn't matter if Cree made the LED or not, the stuff the LED is ON is garbage, and priced accordingly. IE: Its often a fair price for what you get, not a bargain, but, representative of the lack of QA/QC, and every corner that COULD be cut, BEING cut....to deliver something that looks as much like a flashlight as possible, for as little money as possible.

So, if you get one of the lights they churned out, and it works, you win. If you get one of the lights they churned out and it doesn't work, you lose.....same as always for these things. Worrying about if a particular part was made by a particular company is silly at that point....its more about how it was all put together that's far more important.

Otherwise, its like going to a Fjord Dealer to buy a car, and you its a POS, and it barely holds together, is built as cheaply as possible, and spending time and energy wondering if it comes with genuine autolite spark plugs....or knock offs.

Last edited:

Poor

Newly Enlightened
It's definitely not an XM-L. If it has 3 vertical lines inside the box it's an XPG. If it has 2 then its an XPE or XRE. You can dig up the LED recognition thread with all the pictures of the emitters to confirm.

It's likely an authentic CREE emitter... just not the one that was advertised when you bought the light.

Thanks for the helpful reply. I'm glad that not everyone has a "value engineered" brain :thumbsup:

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
For 10 bucks , who cares if its a fake or whatever if it works and makes enough light?
There's no excuse for shipping something other than what was advertised, unless a) that was agreed in advance between seller & buyer, or b) it was a genuine mistake. A low price tag like US $10 makes it easier to swallow for a buyer, but doesn't change this.

@Poor: A was advertised, B was delivered... get your money back? :thinking:

lwknight

Enlightened
There's no excuse for shipping something other than what was advertised, unless a) that was agreed in advance between seller & buyer, or b) it was a genuine mistake. A low price tag like US $10 makes it easier to swallow for a buyer, but doesn't change this.

@Poor: A was advertised, B was delivered... get your money back? :thinking:

My point was that if you buy a $10.00 flashlight it should be a given that it is probably a fake and if it actually works you are lucky.

anthonytsi

Newly Enlightened
Is there a reputable seller of real Cree XM-L T6 on Ebay? I can't tell the fakes from the real ones. I want to replace the LB clone in my fake Ultrafire flashlight.

scw2

Newly Enlightened
Any updates on these ultrafires? Considering picking some up for EDC and general utility light, not doing anything hardcore. For $5-10 would be worth having a few around possibly in case the electricity goes out or I need one in the car on the side of the road.

GunnarNyb

Newly Enlightened
I know there are probably plenty of fake/counterfeit flashlights out there but has anyone come across fake Cree XM-L T6 LEDs in flashlights?

I have the same question. I recently bought a zoomable flashlight on eBay. Image of the emitter attached. It draws 1.6A from a fully charged 18650, and gets quite hot after a few minutes on full blast.
As mentioned by others a square image of the emitter is shown when at max zoom.
Flaslight seems to have a fairly poor quality lens of plastic
RcywDL683gE