Favorite budget light 2023

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It's March and time for a 2023 favorite budget light. Like always, it does not need to be a 2023 model just something you acquired in 2023.

So far I have only bought an Elzetta G-aa at $30, which puts it below the once suggested $35 price point. It has a twist head 130/30/5 in that order with memory. I use the 30 lumens the most.

How about you fellow CPFr's? Still like the Convoy S2 the most? Or others?

Marquis07

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a Wurkkos TS21 this January at the recommendation of some CPF members. It was by far my favorite edc light and the first 21700 light I felt comfortable with on my belt. Sadly, I dropped it last month from some rafters about 20ft up, and it hasn't been the same. There's flickering in the higher modes and the switch is not as responsive. However, it worked amazing before the drop and I'll most likely get a replacement when more funds are available. For $40 cad, it's an amazing light, and exceeded my expectations in almost every way.

-Mark

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided to check out a 4-pack of Defiant 3AAA LED flashlights from Home Depot (Canada), product code 1001543745. Cost $12.49 which works out to about $3.50 each after tax, including alkaline AAAs. Plan was to keep a couple and give the others away.

Claim is 200 lumens on high, high/low/flash modes. Soft-press mode change on rear clicky works. The beam is nothing exceptional, but fine.

Light initially appeared to take 18650, but the head-end spring is very stiff, almost no give, so no luck. I might try de-soldering spring, replacing with suitable one from small collection (some salvaged from 6v lantern batteries). Light takes 18500 OK.

One was disassembled. Regrettably, while screwing the LED module back into front tube, the LED was damaged due to misalignment with reflector, and a little over-tightened. A 3W LED star was temporarily connected and worked fine so it can be repaired; or can be kept for parts, and the driver can be re-purposed.

Overall, a really good deal but you have to buy a 4-pack.

Dave

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
I have 4 Wurkkos TS10s with Anduril 2 as well as 3 Emissar D4V2s that are a lot of fun of the money.

IMG_4303.jpeg

IMG_4356.jpeg

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sofirn HS10 headlight. Got mine for $22 on sale. Less than half the cost of a Fenix HM50R v.2 (and rated brighter), high c.r.i. l.e.d., replaceable battery (unlike a Nitecore NU20).

Orb8

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Sofirn Q8+. Not even heard of Sofirn before my brother mentioned them to me. Then after I saw his Q8+ I just had to have one.
The Torch itself is well made & very bright.. But my favourite part is the awesome amount of different settings you can choose from the Anduril UI

https://amzn.eu/d/8cOnm9f

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
This low-cost spot/flood 18650 headlamp has independent high/low/flash controls plus SOS mode on spot only (press/hold button in off mode). Interesting as you could get spot with low-level flood at the same time, if needed. Cell is unmarked purple jacket, probably 1200mAh, but removable/replaceable. The LEDs are both around 1.5W or so, measured 0.38A at 4v on high setting. Brand name is Lumiglow (FWIW).

Light is not waterproof and not overly rugged, but not too heavy and strap is comfortable; should be fine for light usage and as backup or for lending (can keep a few around).

Folks who tend to like name-brand lights with high price tags may cringe. Price was $12 and with discount store which carries these, leading to discontinuing, price drops (down to $6 then $4).

Dave

GT_18650_headlamp_spot_flood.JPG

recDNA

Flashaholic
It's March and time for a 2023 favorite budget light. Like always, it does not need to be a 2023 model just something you acquired in 2023.

So far I have only bought an Elzetta G-aa at $30, which puts it below the once suggested $35 price point. It has a twist head 130/30/5 in that order with memory. I use the 30 lumens the most.

How about you fellow CPFr's? Still like the Convoy S2 the most? Or others?
Anybody like the Acebeam Pokelit?

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well since the arrival of an IMR 14500... I can say the Lumintop Tool AA's performance has exceeded my expectations, my only gripe is the overall mass of the product but which is clearly adequate and designed to be lightweight.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still on the ultra-low-cost trail, this 3AA combo flashlight/COB worklight under Olympia brand originally retailed OTC here for $16 for 2-pack, ended up getting pair for $7 clearance. Looks
like an older product being moved on.

Base is magnetic, has glass-breaker and seatbelt-cutter for auto emergency. Sequence is flashlight/COB_high/COB_mid with no flash/strobe or SOS. Claims 120 lumens, LED draws
about 1.5W on high.

Flashlight beam is OK, nothing special, but overall a sturdy light for very little money.

Dave

Attachments

• GT_Olympia_LED_3AA_flash_COB.JPG
    GT_Olympia_LED_3AA_flash_COB.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

Rickajho

Newly Enlightened
Sofirn SP10 Pro

My first Anduril flashlight !
Really like this one a LOT.

+1 for the SP10. If you are accustomed to fixed only options Anduril takes a little getting used to but once figured it out I love it. Continuously variable in either direction - choose whatever brightness level you want.

Ordered more in colors that Amazon isn't carrying (most of the time) from the Sofirn website. Black, green, blue... I think I'll pass on the red though.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I dunno which one would be my choice for this so Ill state both. I bought a Nebo Lil Larry for when I work on cars and for 20 bucks its super useful. Bright enough flood so I can see in the engine bay and its magnetic end allows me to stick it to things. I also have been using a streamlight protac 1L-1AA lately, its also 20 bucks and can take multiple fuels (CR123 or AA or AAA)

FriedTubes

Newly Enlightened
I scored a couple SF G2X-Z combat lights (the 320L models) new old stock for 50.00 I consider that budget comparatively speaking. Didn't know how much I'd really like the tint and beam pattern on these. It's become my favorite light this year. Happy they come with the elusive SF lanyards and a healthy mouth of piranha teeth

8234EE6D-CB5F-4E98-8BBC-5DF67D54AC15.jpeg
749A1FD5-E2BE-4D70-A0DE-9CDA73C4021B.jpeg

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if $30 lights are a budget buy but I got a Coast 2AA G34 and this 4AA Coast that is supposedly able to take quite a bit of abuse. Puts out over 700 lumens for $30 which is pretty nice. The G34 does like 300 lumens.

Then i got a couple of Ozark Trail has some $1 3AAA lights which work great for NiMH batteries with high IR that doesn't put out much milliamps. Think their max lumens is 50.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
These folks around here probably think one that costed $30 is a budget light. I've always thought $35 is a high mark, but to me if it was $7.99 and less it's a budget light. To me a budget light is more about sturdy or not. The $1 Ozark Trail or a $4.99 Rayovac is a budget light because it's practically disposable. Not sturdy, not reliable over the years but is good enough to provide light while it lasts.

Now the Sofirn C01 for example would be considered a budget light by many because it was like $5. Knowing it will probably outlast me I do not really see it as a budget light. But that's because I grew up at a time when nearly all flashlights were junk.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
These folks around here probably think one that costed $30 is a budget light. I've always thought $35 is a high mark, but to me if it was $7.99 and less it's a budget light. To me a budget light is more about sturdy or not. The $1 Ozark Trail or a $4.99 Rayovac is a budget light because it's practically disposable. Not sturdy, not reliable over the years but is good enough to provide light while it lasts.

Now the Sofirn C01 for example would be considered a budget light by many because it was like $5. Knowing it will probably outlast me I do not really see it as a budget light. But that's because I grew up at a time when nearly all flashlights were junk.
I think the term 'budget' is more ambiguous (and evolving) than ever, and also perhaps the most subjective thing I can think of off-hand. There's also far more "junk" out there than there used to be, and probably even junkier (is that a word?) than the old days. It seems that in recent years there is a new floor for cheap lights, and with inflation raging for a while, the definition has also changed due to that. It has in my case. That's why I don't think I've ever even posted a light in this thread. That said, there are still some low-end lights that are still worth having, but not many for those who seriously count on their lights to work every time (and I don't buy lights I can't count on, because I never know when I'll have to count on them).

EDIT: I recently bought a very neat, small, high quality, good value light for $21.35 USD from a U.S. manufacturer, and I really like it (meaning I would recommend it and it's living in my pocket now). I'll consider that 'budget', and post about it soon just so I have a light in this thread:)

Last edited: