Favorite Buget light.

RickZ

Newly Enlightened
Just bought a Coleman LED model 2000006852 (that's 5 zeros) High Power alluminum tactical light. Has a CREE LED.

It's a 90 lumen tactical light at Target for a little under $20. An alluminum body with a tactical head and reverse clicky that came with 3 aaa batteries.

Super lightweight parts with a good beam for finding firewood etc. Good hot spot 75-100' with a nearby flood as wide as your normal vision. A few areas of round have metal taken away for roll away reduction.

I guess if need be you can punch a bobcat in the face with the front end.

Came with a nice lanyard on a small split ring. It's tail standable as well. It's a dark silver color so wear shouldn't be obvious for a while.

So if you want to give an inexpensive flashlight to a camping or hiking family member this year, check out the Coleman 2000006852. Or if you wanna have a nice lightweight tactical light, get one for yourself.

Runtime is 9.5 hours to 9 lumens, drop rated for a meter, said to shine 300+' (112 meters) and IPX4 water resistant.

To the mod squad, the head is fixed on. Which CREE? Got me. I'm sure some would know by looking into the plastic lens with slight orange peel reflector.

Mine is gonna look cool as an expensive looking shelf queen with lithiums in it juuuuuust in case I need it.

Something I think the two of us share is a preference for store bought budget lights. The thing is, if I don't like a light I get from a hardware store or a Wal-Mart or a wholesale store, I can take it back for cash or for a different light without paying shipping. This makes store bought lights more convenient, even though they are not always powerful, they will also tend to run on alkaline, which can be a reliable source for long-term emergency lights which tend to fit the roll of some budget lights.

My favorite budget light has almost no goood qualities. It is the utilitech 150 lumen triple AAA from Lowe's for $10. The color is quite blue, but it reminds me of my first childhood flashlight, as does the six sided crownulated bezel, and the switch is just on/off, though it does have momentary on. It will faulter, it will dim continuously from the 150 lumens until50-60, then continue to dim slower and slower. The plastic lens has all kinds of artifacts
The pocket clip is very flimsy and interferes with the o ring.

But I find myself using it all the time none the less.

ven

Flashaholic
Budget, well one of my used beaters is the eagle eye x2, great neutral to slightly warm tint. Been dropped,thrown(not caught) .....you name it and never flickered an led.

Solid little dependable light i presume similar to the convoy s2 and around the same cost CHEAP!.

x2 next to the e35

Well centred LED

Even the boss has been using it, that means being careful goes out of the window(almost literally) . Dropped on sides(not placed) dropped in pond,even dropped on a tiled floor which is one of the least forgiving surfaces ever :laughing:

Must admit that BLF special looks an awesome light though!!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Something I think the two of us share is a preference for store bought budget lights. The thing is, if I don't like a light I get from a hardware store or a Wal-Mart or a wholesale store, I can take it back for cash or for a different light without paying shipping. This makes store bought lights more convenient, even though they are not always powerful, they will also tend to run on alkaline, which can be a reliable source for long-term emergency lights which tend to fit the roll of some budget lights.

My favorite budget light has almost no goood qualities. It is the utilitech 150 lumen triple AAA from Lowe's for $10. The color is quite blue, but it reminds me of my first childhood flashlight, as does the six sided crownulated bezel, and the switch is just on/off, though it does have momentary on. It will faulter, it will dim continuously from the 150 lumens until50-60, then continue to dim slower and slower. The plastic lens has all kinds of artifacts
The pocket clip is very flimsy and interferes with the o ring.

But I find myself using it all the time none the less.

Good enough. If you use it...that's all that matters.

I prefer the idea of rechargeables, and even have some for using in a couple of lights.

But I have a stock pile of disposibles in case of long term needs. My Coasts for example get better runtime on eneloop pros, but I have plenty of alkaleaks in case they get drained and there's still no power.

Most of my 'durable' lights use primaries simply because that a link in the durability/dependability chain.

Last edited:

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
Right now it's my X6-P from Blackhawk. Got two of 'em from a co-worker. Surefire G2 head and tailcap fit perfect. I use them for work (building maintenance @ a correctional facility) and the polymer bodies stand up well to abuse.

bright star

Newly Enlightened
Jet beam BC 40 900 lumen Jetbeam PA40 460 lumen..... both coming in under $60 and both be ultra reliable and ultra bright respectfully.:twothumbs

Phlogiston

Enlightened
My Convoy S2+ Reds, hands down.

Great quality, amazing value and lots of customisation options. I can't think of any other manufacturer offering all that in one package.

akhyar

Enlightened

Great quality, amazing value and lots of customisation options. I can't think of any other manufacturer offering all that in one package.

+1 to that.
I've two S2+, in red and blue each coz I can't decide on which colour :D

Poppy

Flashaholic
I wouldn't be surprised if ven's eagle eye 2x, and the convoy S2 or S2+ are made in the same factory. They are so similar in quality, design and functionality, that I don't think I would know the difference.

Each can be had with different tints, and driven at different mas. The beam is floody enough for general close up and near work, yet can light up an area to 100, maybe 200 feet nicely (depending upon how hard it is driven.) I like mine at about 1400 ma, and with the 5%, 40%, 100% driver, I can get up to 40 hours @ 40 lumens if needed, but it'll still do about 450-500 lumens for about 2 to 2.5 hours. The Convoy S2+ is probably the most often used light in the house.

I had to laugh (as I can see that my daughter is appreciating better lights) when last year, we were walking along a dirt road, and she had a cheap Rayovac 2AA LED light (which would have been acceptable the year prior), she had since become accustomed to the beam of the S2, and she exclaimed... "this light STINKS!!!" I laughed and gave her my S2. She was once again a happy camper :thumbsup:

Budget, well one of my used beaters is the eagle eye x2, great neutral to slightly warm tint. Been dropped,thrown(not caught) .....you name it and never flickered an led.

Solid little dependable light i presume similar to the convoy s2 and around the same cost CHEAP!.

x2 next to the e35

Well centred LED

Even the boss has been using it, that means being careful goes out of the window(almost literally) . Dropped on sides(not placed) dropped in pond,even dropped on a tiled floor which is one of the least forgiving surfaces ever :laughing:

Must admit that BLF special looks an awesome light though!!

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI, they are phasing out the Seraph-6 and currently on sale at $10 each +$8 shipping. For $18 you get a great host, two tailcap switches and a host of freebies. Best budget light available!

I did not know this; I had planned to get one (or several...) down the road, but if they're phasing out then perhaps I should move much sooner.

Are they being replaced by something? Or just going away?

fishx65

Enlightened

After finally getting a real red S2+, I just ordered a blue one. The S2+ is really an amazing 18650 torch for the price.

Calmoceans

Newly Enlightened
Xtar WK42 XML U2 powered by single 16340.
Won auction off of fleabay for $14.50 delivered. Very small profile. Clips quite nicely on pocket and disappears. And quite bright on highest setting of "300 lumen" (active for 5 mins then steps down) and usable low at "3 lumen". There are also "190 and 30 lumen" settings. I've been using it for over 3 months of daily carry, nightly walks, and tail standing in bedroom at night with no issues at all. Cap of old clear 35mm film canister 'snaps' on end of light perfect for diffuser.

Only complaint is I can't use my protected orbitronic 16340's as the flashlight will go together and function but the tail spring will slightly dent the bottom of the battery. Xtar protected 16340's and Efest unprotected fit and work just fine.

akhyar

Enlightened
After finally getting a real red S2+, I just ordered a blue one. The S2+ is really an amazing 18650 torch for the price.

Don't forget to order the 18350 short tubes in red and blue from Simon too.
That's what I did as the red and blue S2+ look sexier in shorter bodies :D

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me its gotta be the Convoy S2+.
Awesome little host with pretty good threads & overall construction.

And with some simple mod, i changed mine from a reflector to a frosted optic for a wall of light.

Chris_1522

Newly Enlightened
Just want to thank everyone in this thread for pointing out great deals to us beginners.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me its gotta be the Convoy S2+.
Awesome little host with pretty good threads & overall construction.

And with some simple mod, i changed mine from a reflector to a frosted optic for a wall of light.
I like the Convoy S2+ mini. Here's mine:

I made the following modifications:
* Installed FET driver with lumodrv firmware
* Shortened pill to increase battery compartment space. Light now runs on an 18500 instead of the stock light's 18350.
* Removed reflector and converted light to a triple. Emitter is 3x XPL 3D on Noctigon with 10507 Carclo optic.
* Removed tailcap switch to shorten overall length of the light.
* Installed electronic sideswitch and switch housing on the side of the head.
* Added removable aluminum heatsink around the head.

Entire light is just 73mm long, making it shorter than a Zebralight SC52. Maximum output on a fresh cell is approximately 2,500 lumens.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Convoy S2+ mini. Here's mine:

I made the following modifications:
* Installed FET driver with lumodrv firmware
* Shortened pill to increase battery compartment space. Light now runs on an 18500 instead of the stock light's 18350.
* Removed reflector and converted light to a triple. Emitter is 3x XPL 3D on Noctigon with 10507 Carclo optic.
* Removed tailcap switch to shorten overall length of the light.
* Installed electronic sideswitch and switch housing on the side of the head.
* Added removable aluminum heatsink around the head.

Entire light is just 73mm long, making it shorter than a Zebralight SC52. Maximum output on a fresh cell is approximately 2,500 lumens.
Woah! Thats an awesome mod.
Will u share how you install the side switch?

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Favorite Budget light.

The custom flashlights being designed by BLF are all worthy of consideration.

One that is just about to ship is the BLF-348. It is a 1xAAA, single-mode, stainless steel, tube light. It has a reverse-clicky switch. On NiMH, output is expected to be around 40 lumens, much more on Li-ion.

The two things that make the BLF-348 special are its emitter and its price. The emitter used for this custom design is a 5000K, high-CRI Nichia 219B. Nominal CRI is 90. Price is $6.99 USD.

There is a discussion thread at CPF for the BLF-348. The signup/waiting list is open at BLF. It is expected that all who put their names on the waiting list will get flashlights. Shipping may begin as early as next week.

Be careful if you decide to use Li-ion. It will cause the small stainless-steel body of this AAA flashlight to heat up rapidly. Once hot, stainless steels takes a relatively long time to cool. It does not conduct heat nearly as well as aluminum. If the BLF-348 overheats, it is possible to damage the emitter or driver.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woah! Thats an awesome mod.
Will u share how you install the side switch?

If I were doing this mod again the one thing I'd do differently is I'd build a socket inside the switch housing for the switch wire. That way I could reach into inside of the head and unplug the wire with a tweezers then unscrew the pill. It would make replacing the driver, emitter or optic easy.

I was lazy though and soldered the switch wire directly to the switch. To remove the pill, I have to remove the entire switch housing so I can desolder the driver wire. It's glued on with arctic alumina so I'd have to cut the glue around the base enough to remove the switch. After servicing, I'd then have to reglue it and repaint the housing. One of these days I may make a small socket as described above. It's also why I haven't rushed to update this light with a moppydrv driver or XPL HI (I built this before XPL HI were available so it's using regular XPL with a modified 10507 optic).

Here is a link to my build thread on BLF: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/37873

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Don't know if most would consider the P1A by Klarus a budget light.

I'll call it a budget, mini-sized Malkoff MD2...
But for about $40 delivered it's not a bad little pocket light.

Not as robust as a Malkoff, but...that's why it's so inexpensive. Build quality seems on par with my Coast HP1, yet has a hi/lo head.

Yep...that's now one of my top 5 budget lights

Edit:
In all fairness to this product, it's an overall really really nice light for general use. But it failed to light on the first click twice on me. Both times were no big deal...putting out the trash or lighting a shadow.

But truth be told I bought it for days I didn't want to carry the always ready Alpha. The P1A stays home now.

Last edited: