Favorite Q-ships?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
For meif I was going to get an old BMW though....it would have to be an 850i shame about the running costs as they are awesome cars

The new BMWs seem to be a weird combo of sculpted & slightly melted designs. Older BMWs had a more quiet elegence about them. Plenty of power, even if it wasn't an "M." With a design that didn't scream, "Look at me! I'm a German Sports car! Yo!"

Operating costs are definitely an issue. Edmunds.com got themselves a long-term 2002 M3... And it just re-enforced the old saying, "You lease a BMW, you don't buy one." They were trying to see if a used M3 would be a good bargain for folks who prefer to own, rather than lease, their ride. (Nothing like building equity with your monthly payments). Just didn't work out.

For those interested...

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/Vehicles/2002BMWM3/

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Still looks ugly. Not very different from Bangle's designs.

Really? I think it's a huge improvement, with the 6-series-esque back end, and the new folding hardtop even makes it look a little like a mini-Mclaren..

2010Z42.jpg

kz1000s1

Enlightened
The Mercury Marauder (newer) it is a car (essentially a Crown Victoria with a little extra oomph) and brand that most people associate with the elderly, but it uses a power plant most often seen in performance packaged mustangs (the quad cam Mach1).
Think Transformers: "more than meets the eye"

If you're in Florida don't be in too much of hurry to race a Mercury Marauder. The highway patrol has some as unmarked cars. And they're not stock either.
http://www.fordforums.com/f102/florida-highway-patrol-taps-reinhart-automotive-high-performance-modifications-102186/
The FHP always liked to have something faster than the average police car. They still have at least one '93 Mustang 5.0 in my area. There used to be some unmarked Mustangs too, painted dark gray with black wheels and dark tint. Those were sleepers!

My best sleeper was a '69 Ford Fairlane Cobra. It had a 428 Cobra Jet motor with ram-air and a 4-speed. It looked innocent with black steel wheels and a vinyl top and quiet with the stock dual exhaust. The only clues were the small hoodscoop with 428 Cobra Jet emblems on them and the little chrome cobra emblems on the fenders, but back then people stuck those cobra emblems on their fords.

One weekend I was driving at the local cruising spot and two guys in a '67 GTO come up next to me like they want to race. We were just going around 10 MPH in first gear when when the guy yells to me "were'd you get the hood!", in reference to the 428 emblems. I just smiled and floored it and lit up the tires from a roll for a good distance down the street. Mr. GTO seemed to loose interest in a race after that.

In that car I only lost one race to a car that was an even better sleeper in a way. At the time the black "smokey and the bandit" style Firebird Trans-Ams were popular and their owners seemed to think they were pretty fast. I however, was off a different opinion. My favorite game was to stay even with them at first, then drop back a little, floor it, and pull away from them.
Then one time I came across a perfectly stock looking and sounding Trans-Am on a highway that wanted to run me, so I did. We started at 40 MPH and he beat me so bad it wasn't funny to 100+ MPH. At the time nitrous wasn't really being used yet, so it most likely had a custom made turbocharger system. It would have been hard to keep a normal, healthy big-block Pontiac or Chevy engine that quiet.

The car I had before that was a '70 Ford Torino GT with a 351 engine. That was until the transmission went, which gave me an excuse to buy a 429 Cobra Jet engine with a C6 trans that I knew a local junkyard had. Of course with my sense of humor, I had to leave the 351 emblems on the fenders!

kz1000s1

Enlightened
Ultimate Q-ship from the 80s and early 90s - the Ford Taurus SHO. That all aluminum V6 was basically a V6 version of the ZR1 Corvette engine and made that car a serious sleeper. If I recall, Road and Track had an article about Q-ships back then, and specifically featured the SHO.

The '85-'87 Buick Regal T-types with the dual turbo 3.8 litre V6 were definitely Q-ships. Not as obvious as the Grand Nationals with the spoilers and badging, but nearly as powerful in stock form and easily upgradable to the same performance levels as the Grand Nationals. And of course there was the GNX which looked like a Grand National, but was blessed by Buick with even more performance. I tried to talk my brother in law into buying one back in the day, but he wouldn't budge and bought a Saab 900s instead.

The SHO was a good sleeper. That was a nice motor that was restricted to a 7,000 RPM redline only because the accessories and drive belts couldn't go higher. It was similar in concept to the old ZR-1 motor, DOHC with 4 valves/cylinder, but the SHO motor was made by Yamaha and the ZR-1 was designed by Lotus and built by Mercury Marine.

Some of the T-type Buicks were even sneakier and didn't have the regular fender emblems. I think they just had a little square emblem with a T on it.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
At the time the black "smokey and the bandit" style Firebird Trans-Ams were popular and their owners seemed to think they were pretty fast.

I had to look it up, here it is:

ReynoldsBandit.jpg

1978 Pontiac Trans Am SE 6.6

400ci/6.6L V8, 220hp
4 speed manual transmission

0-60: 7.2 sec
1/4 mi: 15.3@90mph (must exceed redline)

And for comparison:

RAV4.jpg

2009 Toyota RAV4 V6

211ci/3.5L V6, 269hp
5 speed automatic transmission

0-60: 6.3 sec
1/4 mi: 14.8 sec@99mph

Turns out Soccer Mom would blow Bandit's doors off..

kz1000s1

Enlightened
Turns out Soccer Mom would blow Bandit's doors off..

And that TA was the fastest version with the Pontiac 400. Most seem to have a 403 Oldsmobile motor and auto trans that was slower.

Soccor Mom would also beat most of the average '60s muscle cars.
A '68 Plymouth Roadrunner with a 383 Magnum engine would do 14.9 at best.

rodfran

Enlightened
I drove a 1968 Plymouth Fury I ex-highway patrol car with a 440. It was my first car. I removed the super-commando badges and put the 318 emblem on the hood. It had factory rubber floor mats and the 140 mph certified speedometer. It was a fun car. I still remember the look(pinkish color) and smell of premium leaded gas. When you hit pedal, hard acceleration with no flat spots. I must admit though, once you heard the induction noise coming from under the hood you knew it wasn't a 318.
A buddy of mine had a BB chevy impala. It was jet black and really evil looking.
We drove those cars back then on a daily basis and did not think of them as anything special. I mean, basically we considered them as grocery getters. The problem is that once you got used to driving those cars all the time , nothing else is ever the same. Good memories.
The hemis and the BB cameros were the really fast cars.

My wife and I raced 440's for about 25 years.

My next door neighbor's grandson had a GN Buick.
He went out to the track with us a few times. We put slicks on it and messed with a bit(K&N filter ignition etc.) It ran 13's which was ok, but it just didn't have the brutal low end torque of big blocks that my wife and I loved sooo much!

1wrx7

Enlightened
Sleepers?

Mazda 323GTX from the 80's.

Since you mentioned this one.... When I was doing reseach for the basic bolt-ons for my 2003 wrx I came across an article talking about the 323. This particular magazine pulled the drivetrain out of a 323GTX and transplanted it. I know it was mentioned that the cars for this thread should be fairly factory but.... Imagine a Ford Festiva:crackup: Anybody remember the rollerskate:nana: With the 323GTX AWD turbo 4cyl drivetrain this Festiva put down a 13.1 in the 1/4:devil: That's the ultimate sleeper in my book. If I beat the hell out of my tranny I might be able to get 13.5-13.7 in the 1/4 with my wrx.

Can you imagine the look on the guys face who gets beat by a Festiva:poof:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

A friend of mine is an airline mechanic,
a number of years ago he put a small block Chevy into a old Volvo (light & rear wheel drive)

He'd pull up to stop lights and blow the doors off just about anything..:p

For me, I really don't have a favorite 'sleeper'
but I absolutely hate cars that are all show & no go!!!