• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired feeler: shorten Z46 (M3 bezel)

Slickseth

Newly Enlightened
Seems like alot of trouble and expense.

In comparison, an MCR-38 reflector will practically drop right in. Even if you have to modify/fabricate a different pill to hold the emitter and driver, the amount of work/cost involved will be nowhere near that of reanodizing and the gamble involved in getting the color matched.

Just my opinion.

CSI304

Newly Enlightened
well, I appreciate all the nice feedbacks.

1) I didn't want to ruin a perfectly nice SF Z46 lol, so I went with the clone. I was skeptical at first, but it turn out nicely.

2) I looked into the reflector thing, but I don't know much about reflectors.. so I didn't want to mess with it.

3) yes I absolutely welcome criticisms! It was a lot of work and expense.
I am working on making something to help those tired of dealing with
the shock foam issue. I will take all the opinions whether good or bad, then make an informed decision to continue or discontinue with this effort.

With that been said, still working on a deal with the shop, at this time I would like to make a list of people interested in purchasing this item. I have 20 spots, so please post your name if you are interested. The price is unknown at this point, I am "guessing" somewhere between $40-70USD.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interested of course. I vote to go without the anti-roll feature as you mentioned. Those squared corners are the first thing to get dinged and chipped anyway.

Will they be natural HAIII or black HAIII?

Does anyone know if a stainless bezel ring is available somewhere for this head?

Last edited:

Cesiumsponge

Newly Enlightened
Shortening it really makes the M3 look weird, but I think it's because of the SW02's length gives it strange proportions. It'd probably look more normal with a normal tailcap. I can totally dig that on a smaller body with a C2M adapter too which is now a possibility.

Are there any educated guesses on performance increases? The foam and the plastic retaining ring that sits on top of the foam must absorb some degree of light output because of the black surface and the fact it recesses the reflector quite a bit. With the reflector flush with the glass, I would think some performance gains are to be had with more light coming out the lens. Having the reflector contacting the bezel will aid in heatsinking, though I never noticed mine running warm (maybe because it's thermally isolated by the foam?)

I don't care about a perfect color match because what are you going to match it to? Surefire's natural HAIII colors run all over the place. I'd be interested in at least one, maybe two. I have two M3's but this head might also be useful in a lego build :D I might have to see what Nailbender has in a 6V config.

Last edited:

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like alot of trouble and expense.

In comparison, an MCR-38 reflector will practically drop right in. Even if you have to modify/fabricate a different pill to hold the emitter and driver, the amount of work/cost involved will be nowhere near that of reanodizing and the gamble involved in getting the color matched.

Just my opinion.

Hi

There is a bit more than one would think on making a new module even if the MCR-38 fits.

For each of the 4 types of D36 style modules I carry which is smooth and Op for M style tails and smooth and op for C & P style tails I had tp order 200 of each smooth and op.
200 was the minimum I could get made and with shipping each set of 200 was a bit over $6 piece so you can see a small change can still be expensive especially if you want both op and smooth.
Now I am sure some one offs can be made but that give a idea of making new modules with kind of quantity.

I think the shortened lamp head looks good.

Dave

purelite

Enlightened
I'm interested in one.
It looks really good.

but I have a feeling costs will skyrocket on such a small run but I am quite often wrong.

Last edited:

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you think the guys at lighthound would be interested in getting some short M3 heads? They carry custom parts by others here on CPF (fivemega, RPM, etc.)

It would be a shame for this project to not be completed one way or another, especially since it would make the M3 head more appropriately configured for a standard D36 and also since no one here has been or is planning a longer reflector for the standard M3 head.

Last edited:

CSI304

Newly Enlightened
Interesting idea :naughty: I will contact lighthound, I do a lot of shopping there.

CSI304

Newly Enlightened
Progress has been slow the past week, I sent some e-mails to lighthound but I didn't get a response. The list is still too short to begin any production at the moment.

I will keep you guys updated. I am currently working on new designs for the bezel as well. :devil:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
This looks interesting. Do you have a standard bezel removal tool that works with this? (and regular Z46 bezels)

CSI304

Newly Enlightened
Well this project has been put on hold due to lack of interest, I am unable to generate enough interest to continue.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, too bad because that looks really cool. Especially with a normal tailcap the proportions would look just right.