Fenix E12 run time graphs compared with other popular lights

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any idea on the run time for the low mode on E12?

Fenix specs 8 lms for 22 hrs, and I assume that's on the included alkaline. I do low lumen output/runtime tests on my 1AAs and look at things on a lumen-hour basis. 176 lumen-hours from this mode is perfectly reasonable and I think would be about the same on a 2000 mah Eneloop as this is around where an alkaline will cross-over and start out performing a NiMh. Lumen-hours tend to bell curve and drop off hard at the highest and lowest modes (eg, Max and sub-lumen)

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Medium mode runtime on my E12 too short?

I just purchased an E12. On what I'm assuming to be a fully recharged HR-3UTGA (1,900 min mAh) Eneloop, I get just under 3 hrs of runtime on the medium mode. IIRC, I purchased my Eneloops from Amazon no more than 3 years ago and have recharged it fewer than 10 times. Before the test, I had drained it along with another Eneloop from the batch, to the point that neither could power up the E12 on the low mode, before popping the pair into the Sanyo charger that came with the batteries.

Is this runtime reasonable given the capacity and age of the battery or is it possible that the medium mode on my sample is higher than the spec 50 lumens? The medium does seem bright; the difference between it and the high mode, though noticeable, it's not as dramatic as I've seen in review videos.

Thanks.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Medium mode runtime on my E12 too short?

I just purchased an E12. On what I'm assuming to be a fully recharged HR-3UTGA (1,900 min mAh) Eneloop, I get just under 3 hrs of runtime on the medium mode. IIRC, I purchased my Eneloops from Amazon no more than 3 years ago and have recharged it fewer than 10 times. Before the test, I had drained it along with another Eneloop from the batch, to the point that neither could power up the E12 on the low mode, before popping the pair into the Sanyo charger that came with the batteries.

Is this runtime reasonable given the capacity and age of the battery or is it possible that the medium mode on my sample is higher than the spec 50 lumens? The medium does seem bright; the difference between it and the high mode, though noticeable, it's not as dramatic as I've seen in review videos.

Thanks.

:welcome:

I would try it again, perhaps with a different battery. As I understand it, discharging a NiMH to the point that it won't power a single-cell Fenix is textbook over-discharge = battery damage; your Eneloop may not be holding 1900mAh at this point. Also, Fenix testing is with 2500mAh NiMH; in my opinion, your runtime sounds perfectly reasonable given the conditions you list.

Congratulations on the E12!

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast

IIRC, I purchased my Eneloops from Amazon no more than 3 years ago and have recharged it fewer than 10 times. Before the test, I had drained it along with another Eneloop from the batch, to the point that neither could power up the E12 on the low mode, before popping the pair into the Sanyo charger that came with the batteries.

You did a great job including important information! After re-reading, it sounds like these are two over-discharged, 3-year-old, 'sleepy' batteries put into a pair charger; if that's the case, then neither battery will be performing at peak capacity, I don't think.

I'd bet your E12 is working fine!

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast

You did a great job including important information! After re-reading, it sounds like these are two over-discharged, 3-year-old, 'sleepy' batteries put into a pair charger; if that's the case, then neither battery will be performing at peak capacity, I don't think.

I'd bet your E12 is working fine!

Thanks for the reply, Grijon. I believe I might now have not just two but four 3-year-old, over-discharged batteries then. I always thought completely draining NiMH batteries before recharging them was the proper procedure. Yikes. I've been doing the same with my electric toothbrush. Well, live and learn.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply, Grijon. I believe I might now have not just two but four 3-year-old, over-discharged batteries then. I always thought completely draining NiMH batteries before recharging them was the proper procedure. Yikes. I've been doing the same with my electric toothbrush. Well, live and learn.

I always hope to help! Eneloops are incredible - I wouldn't write them off just yet!

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does anyone know if the E12 has a low battery warning?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does anyone know if the E12 has a low battery warning?

Don't own one, but I highly doubt it. I usually just compare the two highest modes (excluding Li-ions). When it gets hard to tell the difference, the battery is low :).

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Reppans. For some reason I can't WAIT until you do own a Fenix and to get your impressions of it. Bring on the lower lows Fenix!
Don't own one, but I highly doubt it. I usually just compare the two highest modes (excluding Li-ions). When it gets hard to tell the difference, the battery is low :).

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
8 lumens for 40 hrs on NIMH and 20 hrs on alkaline is what they are quoting for runtimes. I am liking this flashlight more every day. The long press feature has made me LOVE reverse clickys, the size of the body is perfect for my hand and I like having a full grip on the body tube without a clip in the way. Mode spacing and runtime are great and when I need a sub lumen mode I just grab my E01 with diffuser or a Ti3 and use the firefly mode. But as an all around simple utility light this thing is sweet. Tailstanding is another thing that I am starting to see as a requirement for a flashlight. Too useful of a feature to be left out. Only other thing to do with this light still is take it camping. Actually, does anyone know of a diffuser that fits the E12? Fenix brand, other brand, homemade? I have a Fenix AOD-S diffuser but the head of the E12 is a bit too small for it to grab onto it. Still works fine if you just have the light tailstanding though.
i just looked it up and it says 8 lumens for 40 hrs?? i checked fenixtactical and outfitters. both say the same. maybe its typo on their end?

Last edited: