Fenix E15 (XP-E R3)

menoceros

Newly Enlightened
Re: Fenix E15

I really don't see this as much over the PD10. It's slightly (13mm) shorter, but thats only 1/2", power is similar with the PD10 having a higher high and lower low. PD10 7-93-180 vs E15 10-75-140.
Only difference I really see is the PD10 comes with a clip this doesn't seem to have that option, ring only.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened

Strong enough for man, pH balance for woman.

30d9cex.jpg
:crackup: leon, that's a good one...
fwiw, the Chinese version of the ad actually meant the same thing... :eek:

I think there are some mis-communications somewhere... the picture is showing a TIR-type of optics, but was told ( :sssh: ) it's using the LED Lenser type of lens for its floody beam... so which is it? anyone seen/handle a prototype before? :thinking:

Xacto

Enlightened

I really don't see this as much over the PD10. It's slightly (13mm) shorter, but thats only 1/2", power is similar with the PD10 having a higher high and lower low. PD10 7-93-180 vs E15 10-75-140.
Only difference I really see is the PD10 comes with a clip this doesn't seem to have that option, ring only.

And a 20 Euro difference in the retail price. And with a 30 Euro price tag, its size and (that has to be determined beforehand) if it can be used as a battery vampire, then I am willing to pay that price for a three mode twisty.

Cheers
Thorsten

dmattaponi

Enlightened

Ordered one yesterday, and it shipped today. I like the idea of a light the size of the 4sevens mini123, but with a med/low/high at the lumens this light has, combined with decent runtimes, and without the mode skipping of the 4sevens light (hopefully).

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

Got mine today and only had a short time to mess with it but initial impressions are very mixed, while it is very small it comes with a cost of the head being a little to hard to twist thus making it harder than desired to switch modes.:shrug: I do have to say it has got a little easier to twist with use, I'm guessing the negative contact at the bottom is getting a little broken in the more I use it, hopefully this break in period continues because as it is it is to tight for my liking.

Tint is white and what I expected from a XP-E, however there are a few artifacts in the beam that is really only visible white wall hunting. I wanted to point out if you look over at the launch pictures of the E15 over at the Marketplace or on Fenix's website you will notice one of the pics shows a terribly misaligned emitter.

Now while my emitter is well aligned I have read that at least one member's E15 has this same misaligned emitter, that may not sit well with many of you and if your concerned about it you may want to wait for a few more reports before ordering, hopefully it's just one of those few first run bugs needing addressing.(very un-Fenix like)

As it is there is no way this will take the place of my E05 on my keychain but maybe with a little Super Lube and with some more breaking in it may find a place at least on rotation duty.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast

Seems like a nice light but the low mode is still a bit high IMO, being a single cell light a low of 2 to 5 lumens would have been better.

jds1

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of artifacts in the beam that look like reflections of lead wires on the outer edge of the hotspot, but they are only noticeable while white wall hunting. Nothing objectionable about the color on any of the three levels. The beam is a great combo of throw and spill. I was able to make out foliage colors at nearly one hundred yards while the beam spanned the width of my backyard. This will be a very good light for night trail hikes. For $30 shipped this is keeper for sure!

Jeff

ikelo

Newly Enlightened

i just received one today. my emitter is centered well. i'm very pleased with the light. the threads are tight on mine also, but i appreciate that. mine is a replacement for my mini123 that developed a high pitched whine on high mode and also has loose threads; over time, it has became so bad that one handed mode switching is terribly annoying due to mode skipping.

i also have a fenix e05, which i think is a terrific little light. i think i'm going to have to buy everything they make with an "e" in front of it now.

Illum

Flashaholic

well... I guess that's as small as it gets with CR123As, anyone got a comparison pic with a P1D or P1?

I've only recently fell in love with the E05...:ohgeez:

ikelo

Newly Enlightened

i also have a p1d. i can take a pic with it next to my p1d this weekend. i gave the p1d to my parents :duh2:

Ishango

Enlightened

I really like the look and size of this light and already loved the size of my QMini 123. I saw this light on the website of my favorite Fenix dealer today and I couldn't resist to order it. Hopefully I'll have it soon. Nice pictures BTW.

dmattaponi

Enlightened

My E15 emitter is perfectly centered. So far, none of the others that I've read have had problems either. Don't let the picture above scare you off.

Last edited:

dmattaponi

Enlightened

gopajti,

Sorry to hear that you got a dud. If mine came that way, I wouldn't hesitate to return it. Fenix generally makes a very nice product in my experience. I've got 9 of their lights. Not a one has any issue.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Luckily my specimen has a perfectly centered LED. Against a white wall the beam does not show any particular artifact in its central part but the edges are rather irregular like in other TIR lights (e.g. SF L1 or E1B). This light is really very small:

cimg0258a.jpg

Illum

Flashaholic

dmattaponi

"Got mine today and my LED looks just like this picture and the hotspot is off-center as well."

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?253724-New-Fenix-E15-IN-STOCK-AND-SHIPPING/page9

:thinking:

guys please, this is not a reflectored light, you are looking through an optic whose center has an internal reflection plane that is completely flat, allowing the LED's foward light to pass completely unobstructed. This means the LED can be seen centered only when looking at it dead on. With an optic the only way the LED could be mounted off center and get away with it in QC is the use of an optic not meant for the LED. Most that are the center hole is only large enough to fill the dome and nothing more. Plus, an off center LED won't give an output, it will resemble shining a flashlight through a diagonally laid magnifying glass: all artifact, no useful output.

edit: read this, decided to shutup
Actually it appears that the LED itself is centered in the head but the TIR lens has an irregular shape. In any case the beam is terrible.
:thanks: kilovolt, well done

hmm... its about the size of an Aeon then. The hole in the optic is interesting, certainly utilitarian in its intended effect. Lint however, does from time to time pose an issue.

the TIR/body size reminds me very much of the old Vortex KC-1... :anyone: think so too?

Last edited: