Fenix L2D-CE dimming on lithiums

an_abstraction

Newly Enlightened
Hi all - quick question - I have an older L2D-CE Q5 (circa 2008 or 2009) that works fine on alkaline batteries, but I get some weird dimming effects when popping in lithium batteries.

On high and turbo modes, the light dims quickly then ramps up to full brightness (or at least it seems full brightness). Has anyone else experienced this with any of their lights?

Maybe it's a bad batch of lithiums, but they're Energizer with a expiration date of 2025, so I doubt that. I haven't tried rechargeables.

What could be causing this? Is the microprocesser malfunctioning when using higher capacity batteries?

You guys are the experts and thought I'd ask. :) Thanks for any help on this issue..... !

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the voltage... 2x L91 Lithiums are ~3.4v and Fenix is known for having very tight voltage tolerances. Even brand new Alks will run 3.2v and could direct drive the light until they run down a bit. A Fenix will run best on NiMh rechargeable cells (Eneloops).

an_abstraction

Newly Enlightened
Thanks much for the info. I'll pick up a package of rechargables and enjoy the light because I thought it was junked!

an_abstraction

Newly Enlightened
Update: I found a 4 pack of the Energizer preCHARGED 2400mAh (Made in Japan - Eneloope style?) batteries w/ charger at Target for only $13.99.

Popped them in and the light works great. For a 6 year old light, it still fits my needs well. Rugged-build quality with great olive HA anodizing, fantastic UI, well-spaced regulated lumen levels, and a great 6 lumen low mode that is important to me. "Only" 125 lumens on max but that's plenty bright night walks and wandering around in the woods.

Feels good to get this older light back in working condition - thanks again reppans!