Fenix L2P, wow (Maybe the first contact of this light?)

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
chanamasala said:
Great. You and Fenix will help add some light to my Solstice festivities.

Did someone mention my name? ;)

Just in case anyone hadn't looked in a while, the retail price of the Fenix L2P is already listed on their site:

http://www.fenixlight.com/flashlight/fenixl2.htm

At $46.50, its only $2 and change more than the L1P! Way to go Fenix!
Perhaps group buy prices will be even less...

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edit: I don't know what I did wrong, but the above quote from the original post didn't turn out exactly as I'd planned.

I'm also surprised with your output comparisons between the L1P and L2P because the web site says both lights have 46 lumens output, but the L2P is regulated for the full four hours and the L1P is pretty level for the first couple hours and then tails off for a couple more hours.

I thought that most of the runtime plots showed that maximum brightness for the L1P was about the same whether using alkaline, NiMH or lithium? I have a hard time believing that using NiMH for your beamshots can explain the rather significant difference in the brightness of the two lights. I suspect that either the light specifications on the web site are erroneous, or that the L1P tested was an underperformer or that the L2P was an over performer.

I'll be quite impressed if the L2P is really that much brighter than the L1P when they hit the open market and the usual reviewers have a chance to compare them. If the brightness difference really is that significant, I'll be buying an L2P.

Thanks again for the review.

Last edited:

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
LightObsession said:
Edit: I don't know what I did wrong, but the above quote from the original post didn't turn out exactly as I'd planned.

Looks like you are missing the closing bracket after the first "QUOTE=xiaoyao."

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1P has potential for 46lumens, but due to only running on 1.5volts, only so much can be had. Perhaps a fresh lithium cell at first would do.. It's still as good as a QIII or better, so that's great. I was hoping for ~30lumens, and it's right under there. The L2P will be able to be driven a lot more due to the extra head room of more input voltage, so it can really shine if you will to the fullest. Either way it looks like both the L1P and L2P are about as perfect as you can get for running on AA's.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
IsaacHayes said:
The L1P has potential for 46lumens, but due to only running on 1.5volts, only so much can be had. Perhaps a fresh lithium cell at first would do..... The L2P will be able to be driven a lot more due to the extra head room of more input voltage, so it can really shine if you will to the fullest......

If this is true, then the Fenix web site lumens specs for the L1P should be adjusted down, or the L2P specs should be adjusted up if the two lights really never have the same initial brightness regardless of the battery chemistry. The way it is now, the data is very misleading. Thank goodness we have the CPF reviews to find out what's really going on.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take everything (ratings) with a grain of salt. I was surprised how bright the L1P was. I was expecting it to be dimmer. I wanted it mainly because of the form factor/1aa, and was thrilled when it was as bright as my SL Jr Lux!

jimmybrown2

Newly Enlightened
ernsanada said:

I was reading about this light on the litemania web site and I found this rather interesting. "교환 및 반품이 가능한 경우
- 상품을 공급 받으신 날로부터 7일이내 단, 가전제품의
경우 포장을 개봉하였거나 포장이 훼손되어 상품가치가 상실된 경우에는 교환/반품이 불가능합니다.
- 공급받으신 상품 및 용역의 내용이 표시.광고 내용과
다르거나 다르게 이행된 경우에는 공급받은 날로부터 3월이내, 그사실을 알게 된 날로부터 30일이내"

교환 및 반품이 불가능한 경우
- 고객님의 책임 있는 사유로 상품등이

Somy Nex

Enlightened
just an idea, but you might wanna provide those of us who don't read Korean with a translation of that... =P

jimmybrown2 said:
I was reading about this light on the litemania web site and I found this rather interesting. "교환 및 반품이 가능한 경우
- 상품을 공급 받으신 날로부터 7일이내 단, 가전제품의
경우 포장을 개봉하였거나 포장이 훼손되어 상품가치가 상실된 경우에는 교환/반품이 불가능합니다.
- 공급받으신 상품 및 용역의 내용이 표시.광고 내용과
다르거나 다르게 이행된 경우에는 공급받은 날로부터 3월이내, 그사실을 알게 된 날로부터 30일이내"

교환 및 반품이 불가능한 경우
- 고객님의 책임 있는 사유로 상품등이

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've loved my L1P since the moment it came in the door, even before I powered it up :) These are nice lights. Since I'm using a rechargeable in the light, the voltage regulation isn't a problem as I just top off the battery every week or so, long before I've used it to the point of it dimming much.

I recently completed the hot-wire mini-mag mod that requires the 14whatever AA sized LiIons, so I'll be watching with great interest when these start arriving if anybody tries it with one of those batteries. That would be sweet.

The other mod that occurs to me would be a 1/3AA NiMH and a cut down center section for the L1P. The runtime would be less, but what an interesting size that would make it. With the center section totally removable on this light, it's just begging for some options to slip in there. Even more so with the L2P.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
yep. running it through some translation software, it's just a return policy. the usual speil. ran it a couple hours ago and have since forgotten what it's about. on the forum, litemania the person seems very receptive & helpful, and that's all i need to know. everyone makes mistakes once in a while, it's how we try to fix them when they happen that matters more. =P

Somy Nex

Enlightened
<grin> I've downloaded a few Microsoft Language Packs - just like a flashlight to a non-flashaholic... "you never know when you'll need them" ;) :laughing:

Here's the complete translation from WorldLingo:

The case where the exchange and returned goods are possible
- From the day when it is supplied the goods 7th at once only, Home electronics
The packing which opens a case packing is damaged and to the
case where the commercial value is lost it exchanges/The returned goods is impossible.
- The contents of the goods which is supplied and service indicates.With advertisement contents
Is different, or, to the case which is executed different from
the day when it is supplied March at once, It is known the fact and from the day 30th at once

SpeedPRO

Enlightened
chanamasala said:
Are there any dealers that think they will stock these? I'm very interested depending on a reasonable price. If there are any dealers that are going to stock these please email me as soon as they become available for ordering.

You might want to check this out, it looks like they already have it in stock.

I'm not sure how reliable their service are. Of course I would still count on 4sevens to get one of these...:popcorn:

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix L2P is now in the queue of lights to buy.

This said, I like in a special way the one AA cell Lux lights. May be some of you are of the right age to remember keychain lights with "122" bulb and one zinc-carbon cell. Definetively, we have an improvement.
Also, I realize that having full regulation on one AA cell is difficult. The voltage is too low, so great care must be given to all details, from the size of the tracks on the PCB, the saturation of the MOSFET, the sync rectifier if any, the quality of all contacts and soldering joints. But, above all, it is the size of the necessary inductor that drive me crazy!
To have the necessary "slack" to implement full regulation with 1.2 Volt, I got to use an inductor that is the same size of the head of the L1P. Partly because of the size of the ferrite core, that can never get into magnetic saturation; but mainly due to the diameter of the copper used in the winding to reduce the losses.
A solution would be to increase the frequency of the oscillator, but other problems (losses) arises there.
So, small, cheap and fully regulated doesn't apply to one cell Lux lights.
May be in the future some company will make a commercial "resonant LED Driver" to use with one cell and a Luxeon. Personally, I don't think it is worth the hassle to design and realize one now.
This is what, very likely, has been the tought of the L1P designer... just add another cell! Make life easier.

I had the best 2AA regulated Lux light three years ago, and still works fine... it is the Arc-LSHP with the 2AA tube. Then I have MM with sandwiches. Sooner or later, I will also have a L2P. But this is beside the point...

I want, really want, a 1 AA fully regulated!

Anthony.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx for the info SpeedPRO- I just ordered one. I've ordered from Tadgear before with good results.

Edited: the front page of their site says they are in stock.

Last edited:

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somy Nex said:
<grin> I've downloaded a few Microsoft Language Packs - just like a flashlight to a non-flashaholic... "you never know when you'll need them" ;) :laughing:

Here's the complete translation from WorldLingo:
The case where the exchange and returned goods are possible
- From the day when it is supplied the goods 7th at once only, Home electronics
The packing which opens a case packing is damaged and to the
case where the commercial value is lost it exchanges/The returned goods is impossible.
- The contents of the goods which is supplied and service indicates.With advertisement contents
Is different, or, to the case which is executed different from
the day when it is supplied March at once, It is known the fact and from the day 30th at once

Thanks for clearing that up.:wtf:

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ray_of_Light said:
Fenix L2P is now in the queue of lights to buy.
I want, really want, a 1 AA fully regulated!

Anthony.

All I have to say, I'm working on a mod solution for a fully regulated 1AA
L1P fenix using li-ion's only is on the way.
Fully regulated two stage 150ma for 6 hours and
750ma for one hour! FLAT output :) (please don't email or PM me
about this... I'm busy making it happen :) A new post will be made when
this happens no sooner than a month from today)

Second, I wanted to say, L2P's are incoming and I'm taking pre-orders
right now that will ship one week from today!

L2P thread: HERE :D

Latest posts