Fenix Lop, Cut Down Mcr17XR, Cree XR-E, Flupic

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Decided to take a Dremel tool to an Mcr17XR to try it with a Cree in a Fenix Lop. A FluPic for multi-levels of light sounded like a good way to go and it now runs on a Li-on battery.

IMG_2995.jpg

First I cut to fit in a L1p with a Cree but I didn`t like the beam as much as the Mcr20 and a Cree which is larger in diameter.
IMG_2942.jpg

The small end of the reflector is all that is needed for an Lop but it is .500" in diameter. I hand filed it to .480" to fit the Lop head before cutting it to length. Removing that little bit took a while to file away.
ohgeez.gif

IMG_2971.jpg

The reflector is getting very small so these came in very handy for holding it secure without damaging while cutting with a Dremel.
IMG_2967.jpg

A baby reflector that was hidden in the Mcr17XR.
biggrin.gif

IMG_2978.jpg

Since there was a hole the Luxxeon mounted down inside I used a Copper pedistal under the Cree for mounting it. Wires wires a pain in the booty to solder so they clear the reflector and also wont contact the bezel when screwed on. Tight fit and tough soldering for me but somehow I managed.
grinser2.gif

IMG_3011.jpg

Why I used a Ti XR19-C instead of a Fenix Lop for beam shot comparison?
icon3.gif
Just a good excuse to play with the McGizmo Ti light I guess.
nana.gif

All shots are around 3' to 4' from wall.

Lop on left. Both lights on low.
IMG_3005.jpg

Lop Medium ..... XR19-C Low
IMG_3006.jpg

Lop on the left. Both lights on high.
IMG_3007.jpg

Not much in the way of throw from this light but and I like the large diameter beam and flodd for a keychain light.
buttrock.gif
Now it`s time to fix up a little polished Titanium Fenix with a Cree.
grinser2.gif

This post is now over!
wink2.gif

Ken

IMG_2778.jpg

I deciced to add this beamshot comparo with a stock Lop.
wink.gif

IMG_3028.jpg

Last edited:

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fenix Lop, Cut Down Mcr27XR, Cree XR-E, Flupic

Very nice Kenster! I'm glad to see another modder joining the ranks.

Oh and when you get that lathe these mods will be much easier. :naughty:

BTW is that some kind of cable krimping tool you have there?

MM

Last edited:

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mirage_Man said:
Very nice Kenster! I'm glad to see another modder joining the ranks.

BTW is that some kind of cable krimping tool you have there?

MM

I`ve modded more lights than I can count but I don`t post them. Might post some more for fun.:party: Have some TriCree and QuadCree lights I just put together and I have put Cree`s in all kinds of different lights.;)

The tool is not crimpers. It is called a Bionic Wrench and is adjustable by squeezing the handle for nuts & bolts from 3/8" to 7/8".(I think?) I never use it as a wrench. The six jaw circle grip is to useful for othere things.:) Like holding reflectors.:rock:

Ken

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,

The "Bionic Wrench" is a really neat tool!
Nice work on the mod too Ken! :thumbsup: I'm not a big Fenix Fan, however something with an improved reflector, improved battery (IMO), and a little bit of love, you've actually got me interested! (Half way at least.. :nana: )
john

Sengoku

Enlightened

Excellent work! i admire your skills

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast

jch79 said:
The "Bionic Wrench" is a really neat tool!
Nice work on the mod too Ken! :thumbsup: I'm not a big Fenix Fan, however something with an improved reflector, improved battery (IMO), and a little bit of love, you've actually got me interested! (Half way at least.. :nana: )
john

John,

The Fenix L1p was the light I chose to go nuts and build them every which way you can build them in learning to mod lights. I can`t tell you how many L1p`s I modded changing swapping with LEDS of every kind, any driver I could make fit, Li-ons, NIMH, making my own two stage clickie switch design for it and then.........gave them all away.:grin2: It was my Nuwai Q3 light which a lot of people use for modding at first but I have never even seen a Q3. :thinking: Hmmm......... I`m going to LightHound right now and buy a Q3. Maybe you don`t care for the cheaper fenix lights but I bet you have had or have a cheap Q3 or two.:nana:

Ken:laughing:

jch79

kenster said:
I bet you have had or have a cheap Q3 or two.
I'll take that bet! Matter of fact, I'd bet a Ti light on it! ;)

I actually am intrigued by the Q3 - there's some Tranquillity guy here on CPF who likes them a lot, so we'll see!

john

PS - I'll send you my addy where you can send that Ti light... you only have to polish if it you want to! :grin2:

jch79

Back on topic, thanks for the beamshots and photos Ken - seriously good job describing the process. :thumbsup:

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast

You are nuts...How did you get the head apart?

Great mod Ken...

TB

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast

TranquillityBase said:
You are nuts...How did you get the head apart?

Great mod Ken...

TB

Yes, as you should know by now, I am completely and totally a NUTCASE!!!!
nana.gif
grinser2.gif

The head was more than a bit stubborn in getting it apart. I heated it up several times but couldn`t get it to budge until heated it one last time and I got some better gripping power with that six jaw Bionic Wrench I showed in the first post pics. I like that tool!
buttrock.gif

It`s not a bright little light at all.
rolleye11.gif
Beamshot on high next to a stock Lop running on a fresh Alkaline battery. OK, my mod might be a little brighter I guess?
icon3.gif
Hehe!

IMG_3028.jpg

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great Job Ken. Where can you get that crazy bionic wrench.

MM: with the tiny reflector your lathe does not make the job all that much easier, trust me.

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast

modamag said:
Great Job Ken. Where can you get that crazy bionic wrench.

MM: with the tiny reflector your lathe does not make the job all that much easier, trust me.

You like that tool? Me too!:grin2: I believe I ordered it from a place called Hard To Find Tools but not 100% posistive on that one. If my single brain cell decides to start working again :twak: and figure out is was somewhere else I will let you know.;)

Ken

EDIT
Modamag, I still can`t recall where I bought the wrench:shrug: but here is a link to LoggerHead Tools where they can be purchased.

http://loggerheadtools.com/?main_page=products&id=2

Last edited:

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw all three sizes, plus the Leatherman-like multitool version available at Fry's.

cy

Flashaholic

nice tool!

I'm using a full set of collets to achieve same thing

kenster said:
You like that tool? Me too!:grin2: I believe I ordered it from a place called Hard To Find Tools but not 100% posistive on that one. If my single brain cell decides to start working again :twak: and figure out is was somewhere else I will let you know.;)

Ken

EDIT
Modamag, I still can`t recall where I bought the wrench:shrug: but here is a link to LoggerHead Tools where they can be purchased.

http://loggerheadtools.com/?main_page=products&id=2

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Erasmus said:
Can anyone clearly describe how to open the L0P driver?

No! :ohgeez: But if a picture is worth 1,000 words? :whistle: How about 3,000 + words? :rock:

When I saw your post I grabbed an Lop, heatgun, Bionic Wrench, Camera and here you go! :) I like this modding stuff! :grin2:

Ken

Ooops! I should put a little more effort into the photos! Bad kenster once again! :twak: Hehe! :crackup:

EDIT: And now I see I can`t read either! :shakehead For the driver on other Lop`s I have modded, I simply bored it out along with the thermal epoxy underneath the driver with a Dremel.
IMG_4404.jpg

IMG_4408.jpg

IMG_4410.jpg

Last edited:

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey kenster, nice mod.

didn't think i would need to know much of this, but i stupidly shorted the board out on my seoul modded natural LOD:(

goldserve is awol, so i wondered if you might have an extra flupic laying around? i will post a wtb thread, but figured i might ask here anyway:)

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pumaman said:
hey kenster, nice mod.

didn't think i would need to know much of this, but i stupidly shorted the board out on my seoul modded natural LOD
frown.gif

goldserve is awol, so i wondered if you might have an extra flupic laying around? i will post a wtb thread, but figured i might ask here anyway
smile.gif

How dare Goldserve go on vacation and leave us flashaholics unable to buy more FluPics!
mecry.gif
yellowlaugh.gif

I have a few of the .42" size boards if you want one.
smile.gif
Asked Kevin to makes these 400ma for burst instead of 600ma. The thing with these boards is they don`t fit perfect in an Lop and I am sure it is the same way for an LOD. The board actually fits inside the battery tube so you have to do something about getting the ground to the edge of battery tube. What I did to solve this problem worked but isn`t very pretty so I didn`t show pictures of the FluPic installation in this thread.
redface.gif

Ken

IMG_4459.jpg

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inspired by this thread I made a similar modification. I put a Cree XR-E P4/WH (from my group buy) in a standard L0P. The LED was a low Vf one (only 3.03V@350mA) so it runs incredibly bright with the stock L0P driver and a NiMH cell! I also installed the cut-down McR-17-XR which gives the same smooth beam as on your screenshots. Perfect keychain light in my opinion!

Thanks Kenster!

Latest posts