Fenix PD32 (Prototype, R5) Review

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are they gonna produce this in limited quantities like the PD31?

Hi digitalsmoker,
I don't know what they are going to do.

Very nice review..thanks
Can I use AW RCR123 on this flashlight?

Thanks. ogaruk!
Sorry to say using 2x3.7v RCR123's is banned according to the instruction manual comes with PD32 prototype sample.

hapiness

Banned
thanks for sharing your review.
what you have write is very professional.
I like the comparation among the different modes.
It is very good

hapiness

Banned
It is very good

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is very good

Thanks for your support. hapiness!
I'm happy the comparison picture of the different modes is useful to you. :)

eztokyo

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for providing a detailed review.
I have placed an order for one a few days ago, tracking says it will arrive tonight.

Cant wait.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for providing a detailed review.
I have placed an order for one a few days ago, tracking says it will arrive tonight.

Cant wait.

I just picked up a PD32 last week off of Ebay for $60 delivered. My other lights are a Fenix P1D and a Surefire 6P LED, so nothing grandiose.

So far, it's a nifty little light in a small package. I just received a Klarus P2A and a JetBeam BA-20--both 2xAA, so I'm playing at nights with all three of them.

Chris

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Candle Lamp, nice review!

Once Fenix extended the side mode switch from the TK15 to the PD line, installed a momentary switch function, and a non-roll feature I had to have the PD32 and PD22.

I wrote to Fenix and asked them if they could improve the PD32 by making it more of a thrower like the TK15 but without changing the small diameter of the light. I also asked if they could put spring connections on both ends of the battery to support the use of firearms.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wrote to Fenix and asked them if they could improve the PD32 by making it more of a thrower like the TK15 but without changing the small diameter of the light. I also asked if they could put spring connections on both ends of the battery to support the use of firearms.

Thanks. RCS1300!

As far as I'm concerned, the former is likely to be possible if new emitter XP-G2 & suitable reflector are used. Also the latter seems to be possible too.

But the result (i.e., total length of the light, shape of each part of the light.....) could be affected by a number of variables. :eek:

cheaperrooter

Newly Enlightened
Owning both the PD31 and PD32, to me it's a no brainer. The PD31 the winner by far. Fumbling around for a soft push side switch in the black of the night is not exactly a special op activity. The PD31 can also stand on end. Not a major plus, but a plus all the same. The ONLY thing I like about the 31 is the new memory upgrade, but being the kind of guy that only uses turbo for everything, it's not bothersome at all. Not sure why they just didn't come out with the exact same light but a memory feature. My oh my, everyone ALWAYS has to change things....

Patriot

Flashaholic
Fumbling around for a soft push side switch in the black of the night is not exactly a special op activity.

As you probably know, a whole host of lights have been introduced recently with side switches and have been very well received. I'm on my 4th side switch edc now and I have found the ergonomics to be very intuitive. This from a user who carried the L4, L2, then LX2 and PD30s for 10 years or so. Side switches on relatively "skinny" edc's are easy to feel because your fingers can encompass the diameter of the light. No rolling it in hand like a maglite.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you probably know, a whole host of lights have been introduced recently with side switches and have been very well received. I'm on my 4th side switch edc now and I have found the ergonomics to be very intuitive. This from a user who carried the L4, L2, then LX2 and PD30s for 10 years or so. Side switches on relatively "skinny" edc's are easy to feel because your fingers can encompass the diameter of the light. No rolling it in hand like a maglite.[/QUOTE

Have you experienced any failures with your Fenix lights?

Patriot

Flashaholic
As you probably know, a whole host of lights have been introduced recently with side switches and have been very well received. I'm on my 4th side switch edc now and I have found the ergonomics to be very intuitive. This from a user who carried the L4, L2, then LX2 and PD30s for 10 years or so. Side switches on relatively "skinny" edc's are easy to feel because your fingers can encompass the diameter of the light. No rolling it in hand like a maglite.[/QUOTE

Have you experienced any failures with your Fenix lights?

Hey LightWalker,

To be fair, most of the Fenix lights I've owned were twist heads but I've owned enough with tail switches to have a certain amount of trust in them. I had one particular PD30 Rebel that I never liked the feel of the tail switch on but it never stopped working either. To me, it seems like they build a reliable light.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey LightWalker,

To be fair, most of the Fenix lights I've owned were twist heads but I've owned enough with tail switches to have a certain amount of trust in them. I had one particular PD30 Rebel that I never liked the feel of the tail switch on but it never stopped working either. To me, it seems like they build a reliable light.

Hey Patriot, Thank you for your feedback.

I've dropped a couple of my Fenix lights onto concrete/asphalt without failure, the tail switches do have a certain fragile feel and I suspect them to be the weakest point of the light.

Last edited: